2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

It's too bad Armando couldn't actually pitch. The most fitting ending would have been to go on to have a great career anyway. For the guy to have so quickly disappeared into obscurity in a way devalues the attention to perfect games as significant events.

Of course Don Larson was no great shakes as a pitcher either , though he did stick around the majors for a long time...

Edited by gehringer_2

Thinking about the situation in the AL Central, one thing that stuck out to me looking at the standings (on MLB's website) is that the Twins have played only eight games against teams that are over .500 (out of 50). The White Sox, Guardians and Tigers have played 20, 22 and 24, respectively. Some of that is by virtue of the fact that they are leading the division and the rest of the division is below .500, but they haven't had the most difficult schedule even outside of the division up to this point. And they are about to embark on a nine game stretch against Toronto, New York and Tampa in quick succession while dealing with injuries and (in Toronto) losing folks to COVID anti-vax attrition.

Put another way, I'm not entirely convinced that they are going to run away with this division, and that the goal for the Tigers needs to be get to close to .500 as possible before the All Star Break.  Because it may only take 85 wins for this division with the way things have played out so far.

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Thinking about the situation in the AL Central, one thing that stuck out to me looking at the standings (on MLB's website) is that the Twins have played only eight games against teams that are over .500 (out of 50). The White Sox, Guardians and Tigers have played 20, 22 and 24, respectively. Some of that is by virtue of the fact that they are leading the division and the rest of the division is below .500, but they haven't had the most difficult schedule even outside of the division up to this point. And they are about to embark on a nine game stretch against Toronto, New York and Tampa in quick succession while dealing with injuries and (in Toronto) losing folks to COVID anti-vax attrition.

Put another way, I'm not entirely convinced that they are going to run away with this division, and that the goal for the Tigers needs to be get to close to .500 as possible before the All Star Break.  Because it may only take 85 wins for this division with the way things have played out so far.

85 might run away with this division!

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's too bad Armando couldn't actually pitch. The most fitting ending would have been to go on to have a great career anyway. For the guy to have so quickly disappeared into obscurity in a way devalues the attention to perfect games as significant events.

Of course Don Larson was no great shakes as a pitcher either , though he did stick around the majors for a long time...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=truckvi01&t=p&year=1952

Virgil Trucks, 2 no hitters in a year he went 5-19

• Haha 1

I remember I got into an actual real debate with a guy on the old espn boards about armando and jv. This was in April of 2009 right before JV broke out and Armando collapsed. Anyway the dude would not back off his stance that Armando was going to be better than JV.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

85 might run away with this division!

It may... I still think the White Sox are poised to show more than they have shown thus far and still would be where I lean to win it all, but the idea that this could be a 3-4 team mess at the top of the standings kinda makes sense when you look at the strengths of schedules as well as the strengths and flaws of each of the teams in the division.

We'll see how it goes.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It may... I still think the White Sox are poised to show more than they have shown thus far and still would be where I lean to win it all, but the idea that this could be a 3-4 team mess at the top of the standings kinda makes sense when you look at the strengths of schedules as well as the strengths and flaws of each of the teams in the division.

We'll see how it goes.

the white sox are as injured as us.  and they also have a marquee player who is stinking up the joint (moncada).

unlike javy, the scuttlebutt on moncada is that he just doesnt care.  rumors all over the place of him partying all night while telling the team he cant play and can only pinch hit.  other rumors that he never recovered from covid.  either way, he's not playing.  and when he did play, he was terrible.

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Not going to dignify anything Barstool with a response, but I think it is cool that Galarraga is his own category. Nobody remembers Phil Humber, for example.

Exactly, Dallas Braden threw a perfecto on Mother's Day just a few weeks before Galarraga's game so it's not like there was a major perfect game drought either. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the white sox are as injured as us.  and they also have a marquee player who is stinking up the joint (moncada).

unlike javy, the scuttlebutt on moncada is that he just doesnt care.  rumors all over the place of him partying all night while telling the team he cant play and can only pinch hit.  other rumors that he never recovered from covid.  either way, he's not playing.  and when he did play, he was terrible.

I know that this probably isn't it, but I wonder how much perceptions of the White Sox going into this season are a factor. I can't tell you how many times I heard (however logical it was) that the division was a foregone conclusion leading up to the season.

They are where they are largely because of injuries, but how much does expectations (and the pressure to meet them) factor in.

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Armando can take cold comfort from the fact that he had a more productive career than Philip Humber.

On 6/3/2022 at 2:30 PM, RandyMarsh said:

I remember I got into an actual real debate with a guy on the old espn boards about armando and jv. This was in April of 2009 right before JV broke out and Armando collapsed. Anyway the dude would not back off his stance that Armando was going to be better than JV.

There was as lot of Armando love here.  We got into huge BABIP debates.  

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

There was as lot of Armando love here.  We got into huge BABIP debates.  

I remember those.

But... aside from BABIP... I think his biggest problem was that he had a crappy fastball. A devastating slider... but as soon as batters learned to lay off his slider and wait for his meatball fastball... they feasted.

And his BABIP (.250-ish?) went the opposite way (.350-ish?) from then on. There was no regression to the mean. He just sucked. And to me, it was less a BABIP issue and a whole lot more "crappy FB" issue.

A 1-pitch pitcher.

• Riley Greene entered Sunday 5-for-20 with a home run in his first five games at Triple-A Toledo since healing from a fractured foot. The Tigers haven’t yet made a final decision on when Greene could be up for his big-league debut, but the Tigers’ July 16-19 series against the Rangers is a possible target date.

But even in Sunday’s game, there were confounding mistakes. There was what appeared to be a mental error in the seventh (though maybe Báez was trying to deke Gleyber Torres the whole time?) that helped the Yankees score their third run.

“I don’t know. Maybe he thought he rounded the base a little bit or caught him in the corner of his eye,” Hinch said. “Obviously, we have a different angle of it in watching it, but I’m not sure what he saw.”

And even after Báez’s RBI single in the eighth, he was tagged out in an odd 9-1-6-3 rundown.

It’s all becoming increasingly frustrating for a player the Tigers signed to a six-year, $140 million deal this offseason, an incredibly talented athlete who continues to struggle to a confounding degree.

“I don’t like making excuses,” Báez said. “It is what it is. I’m just gonna keep trying.”

https://theathletic.com/3350347/2022/06/06/tigers-elvin-rodriguez-tipping-pitches/