2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

5 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

So best case for Mize is pitching effectively in 2025 ?

some guys rehab faster than others, but sure, if he had had the surgery the first week he was IL' he had a shot at being back during something during the 24 season, just as Turnbull could be back later this season. But at this point that possibility is probably lost.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

some guys rehab faster than others, but sure, if he had had the surgery the first week he was IL' he had a shot at being back during something during the 24 season, just as Turnbull could be back later this season. But at this point that possibility is probably lost.

Faedo is a good example of being a fast rehab. Fulmer on the other hand needed a full season before he was effective again. 

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Thanks. Too bad they hesitated but it’s understandable. Maybe he can come back quick like Verlander the freak. 

22 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Isn't it assumed Turnbull will be back for 2023? 

With Mize, I assume he'll be back by 24 unless something goes wrong

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Casey confirmed to need TJ surgery.  TBD on when it will happen.

Seemed inevitable.  Let’s get him back on the road to recovery sooner.

Easiest prediction ever.

This was called basically at the beginning of his career.

just rip the bandaid off. 

48 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Easiest prediction ever.

This was called basically at the beginning of his career.

just rip the bandaid off. 

Sorry, can you remind me of what you are saying that his eventual TJ was called at the beginning of his career....who and when?  I dont doubt it, but I cannot find that.

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

Sorry, can you remind me of what you are saying that his eventual TJ was called at the beginning of his career....who and when?  I dont doubt it, but I cannot find that.

There were a lot of pixels spilled about his mechanics before he was drafted, but Pedro broke them down beautifully in this piece.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Shut up Lynn

They saw another angle recently?   YOU DIDN'T THINK TO LOOK AT THAT ANGLE TWO MONTHS AGO?   ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?   

FIRE THIS MEDICAL AND TRAINING STAFF NOW !

I thought I heard it was Casey's camp that was resisting the idea of surgery since the diagnosis wasn't a definitive rupture but it was just radio chatter so it might have been off base.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I thought I heard it was Casey's camp that was resisting the idea of surgery since the diagnosis wasn't a definitive rupture but it was just radio chatter so it might have been off base.

It doesn't matter.  This team ain't no good.  They ain't gonna be good anytime soon.  2024?  Yeah right.   We're in the hell of 1988-2005 again.   And we're only 7 years in.   They can't scout and they can't develop and now they can't seem to keep them healthy.   Every person that has anything to do with scouting, drafting, managing, signing or training players needs to be fired.  A total clean sweep.  Enough already.   Fire the vendors and ushers too.  

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This team has one of the best bullpens in baseball and has managed, despite the injuries, to somehow hold together a functional rotation.

Mize having to get TJ sucks, but it's not the reason this team is struggling right now.

The reason it's struggling is they can't develop position players and haven't really been able to for about 35 years now.  

Position players from our own system that we drafted on our current roster are........Derek Hill, Harold Castro, Spencer Torkelson and Kody Clemens, that's it.  Only Tork is an everyday player and sorry if I am unimpressed that they drafted a guy #1 that 25 other teams would have picked there.   Most teams are built on guys drafted after the 1st round.  Where's ours?  Even guys from our system that are with other teams are few and far between.     Very little to show for 19 years at the highest end of the front office and 7 as the GM.    Sick of it.  Clean sweep is needed - which of course means another 5 years of rebuilding, but I really don't see us going anywhere with this lineup.   I hope Greene and Tork do well, but beyond that..........who's next?    Colt Keith?  Roberto Campos?   Years away, and plenty of time for this organization to screw them up.  Blow it up.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

The reason it's struggling is they can't develop position players and haven't really been able to for about 35 years now.  

Position players from our own system that we drafted on our current roster are........Derek Hill, Harold Castro, Spencer Torkelson and Kody Clemens, that's it.  Only Tork is an everyday player and sorry if I am unimpressed that they drafted a guy #1 that 25 other teams would have picked there.   Most teams are built on guys drafted after the 1st round.  Where's ours?  Even guys from our system that are with other teams are few and far between.     Very little to show for 19 years at the highest end of the front office and 7 as the GM.    Sick of it.  Clean sweep is needed - which of course means another 5 years of rebuilding, but I really don't see us going anywhere with this lineup.   I hope Greene and Tork do well, but beyond that..........who's next?    Colt Keith?  Roberto Campos?   Years away, and plenty of time for this organization to screw them up.  Blow it up.   

Bear in mind a clean sweep means getting rid of AJ and Chris Fetter. And a whole bunch of guys they hired from other (more successful) orgs in the offseason to revamp their minor league development team. (ie. Ryan Garko, Gabe Ribas, etc.)

It's painful, and I'm certainly on board with canning Al, but they've also made a lot of changes within the areas you are complaining about within the past 12 months. And I don't think firing Ryan Garko or Gabe Ribas after just hiring them away from the Angels and Dodgers is a smart idea at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, chasfh said:

There were a lot of pixels spilled about his mechanics before he was drafted, but Pedro broke them down beautifully in this piece.

This video/interview immediately came to mind when I read that Mize is headed for TJ surgery. I thought Martinez made some excellent points at the time he was having this conversation about Casey’s delivery mechanics.

Edited by 1776

40 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Only Tork is an everyday player

That is up for debate.  He certainly doesn't play like an everyday player at this point.  He is constantly overmatched even by mediocre pitchers.

He has the potential but there have been lots of guys with potential who ended up being bad.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It doesn't matter.  This team ain't no good.  They ain't gonna be good anytime soon.  2024?  Yeah right.   We're in the hell of 1988-2005 again.   And we're only 7 years in.   They can't scout and they can't develop and now they can't seem to keep them healthy.   Every person that has anything to do with scouting, drafting, managing, signing or training players needs to be fired.  A total clean sweep.  Enough already.   Fire the vendors and ushers too.  

I don’t think it should take many years to turn this around (we were abysmal in 2003 and in the WS in 2006), but I don’t think Avila is the guy to get us there.

43 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

That is up for debate.  He certainly doesn't play like an everyday player at this point.  He is constantly overmatched even by mediocre pitchers.

He has the potential but there have been lots of guys with potential who ended up being bad.

He's going to be a good player.    A lot of guys that wound up being stars had rough first years.    He doesn't look lost to me, he looks like a rookie figuring it out.     I bet he looks a lot better by August and September.  It would help if he had a decent lineup around him.   

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

He's going to be a good player.    A lot of guys that wound up being stars had rough first years.    He doesn't look lost to me, he looks like a rookie figuring it out.     I bet he looks a lot better by August and September.  It would help if he had a decent lineup around him.   

Plus, look at every level so far - very rough start, but once he figured it out he was really good.  Hasn't reached that point at this level yet and of course it's going to take longer.  

He just shouldn't be in a position where he has to even consider carrying the team, but there just isn't anyone else helping. 

Expect Riley to struggle too, but they have to get through this to get better............might as well do it in a lost season. 

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He's going to be a good player.    A lot of guys that wound up being stars had rough first years.    He doesn't look lost to me, he looks like a rookie figuring it out. 

I am not saying he won't be, but a lot of guys that have rough first years end up not being stars.  To me, he looks overmatched and lost at the plate.  You can't coast by on your potential, you have to prove it in the majors. 

11 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I am not saying he won't be, but a lot of guys that have rough first years end up not being stars.  To me, he looks overmatched and lost at the plate.  You can't coast by on your potential, you have to prove it in the majors. 

The thing with MiLB hitters is that you can look at all their results and metrics and even if they are good maybe still make predictions about which guys that are doing well in the minors still don't have the ability for majors (e.g. Carpenter). But it doesn't go the other way. A guy can look perfect in the minors and still hit a wall against the quality of MLB pitching he can't get over. Bottom line, you never really know what level a hitter is going to top out at.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I said it before, I’ll say it again: the Ilitch ownership tenure has been, on balance, a disaster.