2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He's going to be a good player.    A lot of guys that wound up being stars had rough first years.    He doesn't look lost to me, he looks like a rookie figuring it out.     I bet he looks a lot better by August and September.  It would help if he had a decent lineup around him.   

The Giants sent Joey Bart down to AAA this week. 

7 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Good for the Giants?

I guess the question I have for all the folks clamoring to send Tork down, aside from the fact that it's debatable that it would do anything at all for him developmentally, is who he gets replaced with.

Miggy isn't starting in the field everyday, nor should they be moving one of the better second baseman in the league defensively to 1B most games. But if you do does that mean we get more Willi and Kody in the infield?

None of that improves the situation at all. And I dont know what it does for Tork who, for all his struggles, doesn't appear to be lacking confidence.

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Good for the Giants?

I guess the question I have for all the folks clamoring to send Tork down, aside from the fact that it's debatable that it would do anything at all for him developmentally, is who he gets replaced with.

Miggy isn't starting in the field everyday, nor should they be moving one of the better second baseman in the league defensively to 1B most games. But if you do does that mean we get more Willi and Kody in the infield?

None of that improves the situation at all. And I dont know what it does for Tork who, for all his struggles, doesn't appear to be lacking confidence.

The fans are suffering and someone needs to be punished!

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Good for the Giants?

Yeah - the options are poor. Agree Miguel does not look like he is an any kind of shape to play any 1b now! If Kreidler were OK or Clemens was showing signs his bat might play, that would free Harold to go to 1st, but I think he is about your only choice. Don't really want to see Schoop there - agreed that costs too much D at both 1st and 2nd. One other side,  I don't think they care enough about Lester that having Tork take his AB at Toledo would be a consideration.

Bart, Kelenic, Rutchsman aren't even in Torks draft class, they have all been in their systems longer. The Covid year scrambled things up but Tork is still at the majors really fast. That said, some days he looks fine. Other days he looks caught in between, waiting just a hair too long to commit to swinging at the FB. Could be he needs to stop worrying about his K rate to actually control it better. Easier said than done of course.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The reason it's struggling is they can't develop position players and haven't really been able to for about 35 years now.  

Position players from our own system that we drafted on our current roster are........Derek Hill, Harold Castro, Spencer Torkelson and Kody Clemens, that's it.  Only Tork is an everyday player and sorry if I am unimpressed that they drafted a guy #1 that 25 other teams would have picked there.   Most teams are built on guys drafted after the 1st round.  Where's ours?  Even guys from our system that are with other teams are few and far between.     Very little to show for 19 years at the highest end of the front office and 7 as the GM.    Sick of it.  Clean sweep is needed - which of course means another 5 years of rebuilding, but I really don't see us going anywhere with this lineup.   I hope Greene and Tork do well, but beyond that..........who's next?    Colt Keith?  Roberto Campos?   Years away, and plenty of time for this organization to screw them up.  Blow it up.   

I agree 100% that Drafting and Development under this regime has completely sucked.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

To be fair to the fans, it's fair to wonder about the confidence question as it pertains to Tork.

Having said that, I trust AJ to know if / when that time comes. 

I don't think there is any way for fans to know whether Torkelson is being helped or hurt by being in the majors.  For those kinds of psychological questions, I am confident that managers know a lot better than fans.  

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I said it before, I’ll say it again: the Ilitch ownership tenure has been, on balance, a disaster. 

The number of 90 loss seasons under Illitch ownership has been staggering. More than a third of the seasons under the Illitchs have ended in 90 losses or more. 

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He's going to be a good player.    A lot of guys that wound up being stars had rough first years.    He doesn't look lost to me, he looks like a rookie figuring it out.     I bet he looks a lot better by August and September.  It would help if he had a decent lineup around him.   

Too many people looked at Trout, Harper, Judge, Soto, Guerrero Jr., and Tatis Jr. and now thinks every rookie is going to hit like them.  Torkelson is clearly not in their class.  

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Akil Baddoo, Eric Haase and Robbie Grossman had unicorn seasons last year.    Nobody is doing that this year, not on the offensive side.  

There was a reason Baddoo was exposed to the Rule 5 draft and it took Haase four seasons to exceed his rookie limits.

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

But the Giants are contending and are built to win right now and probably can't afford to carry someone who isn't up to MLB standards yet.     Tigers are not and can let him marinate awhile.   If they thought he was mentally beat they'd send him down, but they seem to think the opposite, that he's not pressing too much and he knows he has a lot to learn still.  

23 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Too many people looked at Trout, Harper, Judge, Soto, Guerrero Jr., and Tatis Jr. and now thinks every rookie is going to hit like them.  Torkelson is clearly not in their class.  

Even Vladdy Jr. was only a slightly above league average hitter through his first two seasons (183 games). A lot of Blue Jays were calling him a bust.

3 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Even Vladdy Jr. was only a slightly above league average hitter through his first two seasons (183 games). A lot of Blue Jays were calling him a bust.

Funny how someone can be called a "bust" at age 21 while hitting 115 OPS+.  

Tork is only 22, so I have confidence he'll eventually figure it out.  Castellanos didn't have a good season until his 3rd.  I think Tork will follow a similar path.  

One thing I'll say about Torks struggles, is that it is not like he's completely lost to the point of being hopeless. He's still showing a good approach at the plate. A BB% of 11.8 and a K% of 26.9 is not great, obviously, but it's workable, and really not out of the line for a reasonable expectation of his rookie year. Bart had a K rate of 45.4% in 108 PA, Kelenic 37.5% in 96 PA, Adell 34.5% with a BB% of 3.4% in 87 PA. Those guys were sinking while Tork is treading water. He's at the point where he needs to face ML pitching, he's not gonna get any better doing that by hitting AAA pitching.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

One thing I'll say about Torks struggles, is that it is not like he's completely lost to the point of being hopeless. He's still showing a good approach at the plate. A BB% of 11.8 and a K% of 26.9 is not great, obviously, but it's workable, and really not out of the line for a reasonable expectation of his rookie year. Bart had a K rate of 45.4% in 108 PA, Kelenic 37.5% in 96 PA, Adell 34.5% with a BB% of 3.4% in 87 PA. Those guys were sinking while Tork is treading water. He's at the point where he needs to face ML pitching, he's not gonna get any better doing that by hitting AAA pitching.

Agreed. Really the main disappointment with me thus far with Tork is the lack of power. He's hit some hard hit line drives but he just isn't driving the ball in the air at all, somebody posted the stat that his FB distance is only ahead of like 10 guys 5 of which are Tigers. For a guy with his raw power that is concerning but hopefully something that can be corrected. 

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There is simply no reason that before tomorrows game they don’t send Kody Clemens down and bring Riley Greene up.  It’s a no brainer at this point. 

Greene isn't on the 40 man, which means they would have to DFA someone (probably Jacob Barnes).

But I agree nonetheless

On 6/11/2022 at 3:44 PM, chasfh said:

There was a reason Baddoo was exposed to the Rule 5 draft and it took Haase four seasons to exceed his rookie limits.

Baddoo is still projected by 5 out of the 6 projection systems to be above average this year.  I understand that he was horrible out of the gate, but his peripherals were basically the same as his projections (other than a loss of some hard-hit balls vs. last year).

Grossman was due a regression (I acknowledged that about 12 times this off-season) but he has also struggled mightily. 

Even after Schoops 2+ week run, he has ground to a halt again with season-to-date totals that are just awful.  He looks terrible at the plate.

Baez, I realize he's in the NL-to-AL shift year, but gads, can't he hit at all?

Candy is streaky but he's not supposed to hit like Buddy Biancalana.

Tork is having rookie struggles...his peripherals are pretty promising, but he has simply not hit the ball with authority or power.

Meadows, ZERO homeruns....is it the deadened ball?

This is just staggering to watch this offense struggle like this.  Even with the deadened ball it shouldn't be like this!