2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

He always reminds me of Howard Hamlin from Better Call Saul. 

407A1D1F-D5E2-4DBF-A605-9E6798DE77B5.jpeg

Perhaps we need to find our own Slippin Jimmy and Kim Wexler to come up with some schemes to embarrass Chris so bad and ruin his reputation enough that it almost forces him to sell the team!

• Like 1

The Yankees have hit as many HRs in the past 2 games as we have in the past 3 and a half weeks or 700 plate appearances. 

On the season we have 30HRs in just under 2100 or 1 HR in every 70 PAs and trending downward, for reference Jose Iglesias for his career is 1 for every 85. At our current rate we could be to Iglesias' HR rate by the end of the month. 

Don't worry folks, help is on the way.  The Flying Tigers' lineup today had 6 guys with OPS under. 600.

A great amount of optimism was shared here about a year and a half ago because of organizational changes in evaluation and development, inspired by Hinch as co-GM.  But is it possible that they are now even worse at evaluation than they used to be?

perfect sh** storm: Baddoo and Grossman turned into pumpkins; Candy and Miggy are underpowered for 3b and DH; and Candy has struggled; Schoop and Baez are super streaky and both are batting at the very lowest end of expectations; Meadows has ZERO HRs !; Haase's best year will turn out to be last year; Greene injured; Tork struggling and team riding that out; zero depth exposed by insane number of injuries; Clemens, Short, Hill, Cameron and Reyes all have very low ceilings; what in God's name do they see in Willi Castro that gets him so many tries?

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's really frustrating when you think of our seemingly never ending rebuild then you see posts like this about the Guardians who basically rebuilt on the fly after years of winning division titles. 

Something else, huh?  And I was assured by several geniuses around here that rebuilding on the fly was impossible and that tanking for at least 5 years (preferably 7!) was the ONLY way that SMART teams rebuild.

What an f'ing joke.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

perfect sh** storm: Baddoo and Grossman turned into pumpkins; Candy and Miggy are underpowered for 3b and DH; and Candy has struggled; Schoop and Baez are super streaky and both are batting at the very lowest end of expectations; Meadows has ZERO HRs !; Haase's best year will turn out to be last year; Greene injured; Tork struggling and team riding that out; zero depth exposed by insane number of injuries; Clemens, Short, Hill, Cameron and Reyes all have very low ceilings; what in God's name do they see in Willi Castro that gets him so many tries?

I wonder when Baddoo will make it back and Greene will be promoted.

3 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Something else, huh?  And I was assured by several geniuses around here that rebuilding on the fly was impossible and that tanking for at least 5 years (preferably 7!) was the ONLY way that SMART teams rebuild.

What an f'ing joke.

beat me to it.  I think the Royals have rebuilt a few times since the Tigers heyday of Leyland/DD as well.

The team put their eggs the fall in your lap top prospects that horrible teams receive and some has beens who were good for a few weeks.

The Ilitch regime is not about results they are about branding and marketing.  As long as they have the clowns on TV talking about Pick The Stick and they get Rocket Mortgage to sponsor the foul poles and they can trot out some lame slogan like "Detroit Roots" he's fine.  They're fine with selling crappy pizza as long as they can make 15 cents from every sale and build an ugly building downtown.

But hey.... they remodeled the Fox in 1987 so they'll forever be forgiven.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oblong said:

beat me to it.  I think the Royals have rebuilt a few times since the Tigers heyday of Leyland/DD as well.

The team put their eggs the fall in your lap top prospects that horrible teams receive and some has beens who were good for a few weeks.

The Ilitch regime is not about results they are about branding and marketing.  As long as they have the clowns on TV talking about Pick The Stick and they get Rocket Mortgage to sponsor the foul poles and they can trot out some lame slogan like "Detroit Roots" he's fine.  They're fine with selling crappy pizza as long as they can make 15 cents from every sale and build an ugly building downtown.

Yeah, their pizza is basically cardboard with a little cheese on top.  The worst!

I actually thought (and still think) that they assembled a decent enough team this year to chase 500 or a slightly winning record.  If someone had told me that Hinch/Fetters would build a top-5 bullpen I would have assumed they were on their way to the playoffs.  

What has happened with injuries is incredible, but the hitters who have been here have just mystified me with their disappearing acts.  The re-boot of the pre-2015 ASB ball has to play a role in this.  

Beyond all of that, we are still cursed by AA's complete inability to make ANYTHING out of the farm system.  He has had influence and/or control over it since 2004 and he still cannot produce a single good everyday position player beyond the tank picks.  His trades and FA signings are better than they were, but no amount of wheeling/dealing short of DD's magic tricks could make this work.  They need a GM who knows how to put a farm system together that WORKS. 

8 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Baddoo is batting .114 at Toledo, so he is just about ready to return

I guess at this rate, never.  He can't be this bad, can he?  I mean to fail to meet expectations is one thing, but to hit .114 at Toledo???  Did he offend Jobu?  What the hell.

10 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I need to chime in on one thing: Little Caesar's Deep Dish and thin crust is fantastic. The hot n ready? Not so much.

Jet’s deep dish is a like a middle of the road starting pitcher and Little Caesar’s is the Tigers lineup trying to hit him.    

Hot and Ready is like Javy Baez trying to hit a good slider.  

Edited by Hongbit

Kudos to Al Avila.

It is difficult to put together a roster where all 8 of the starting position players are bottom 5 in the league offensively at their position. 

The entire infield have BA's under .200 and OPS's under .600.  17 home runs from the starting infielders.  

And the strength of the offense...the outfield.  Meadows, .322 SLG. Grossman .245 SLG, Hill .289 SLG,  Badoo .220 SLG.  

Reyes is off to an okay start, but I don't expect him to sustain it.  Maybe he proves me wrong.  Barnhardt seems like a solid defensive catcher who would be fine if he were on a more capable offensive team, but he supplies very little offensively either. 

It's sad when your top offensive player is a 39 year old shell of his former self who can't get around on a fastball any longer and who many were hoping would retire after he got his 3,000th hit.  Harold Castro is a great utility player.

Someone asked why Willi Castro keeps getting chances, well, why not?  He just turned 25 and who else can do anything with the bat outside of Miguel and Harold?  He probably wouldn't be on any other MLB rosters, but he could be considered a stud on this roster.

To be fair, the pitching staff is the only reason this team even has double digit wins.  Skubal has emerged as the ace of the staff.  Faedo and Brieske seem like they are middle of the rotation guys.  I have never seen the appeal to Rodriguez other than a guy who can give you innings; although you can do a lot worse than him.  Mize seemed like he was on his way to being a reliable if unremarkable starter.  The bullpen has been the true strength of this team.  Lange, Vest, Fulmer, Foley, Chafin, Jimenez, and even Soto have been top of the line.  What would the record be without the bullpen.  It's tough to contemplate how bad they would be.

Guess that is my rant for the week, although I'm pretty sure every one already knew all this.

Edited by tiger2022

4 hours ago, oblong said:

What have the Royals rebuilt to?

14 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's really frustrating when you think of our seemingly never ending rebuild then you see posts like this about the Guardians who basically rebuilt on the fly after years of winning division titles. 

Cleveland never needed any type of rebuild, they just had cheap owners. They had a team built to compete for the next five years with a bunch of young talent and just decided to blow that up.