2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

1 minute ago, Shinzaki said:

This is easily the most disappointing season since 2008.  Other than the step forward from Skubal and the emergence of Faedo, it's been one calamity after another

The 2015-2017 stretch was pretty disappointing. There were expectations coming in each year.

I was very disappointed by 1987, in part because the Tigers were the far better team (the Twins were outscored that season!), and in part because I had never seen a Tigers playoff team not win the World Series before.

I was disappointed by the 2006 World Series for the same better-team reason, and disappointed by 2013 because that was the best team of that whole run, and in general we outplayed the Red Sox in that ALCS.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I was very disappointed by 1987, in part because the Tigers were the far better team (the Twins were outscored that season!), and in part because I had never seen a Tigers playoff team not win the World Series before.

I was disappointed by the 2006 World Series for the same better-team reason, and disappointed by 2013 because that was the best team of that whole run, and in general we outplayed the Red Sox in that ALCS.

What about 1972?  🙂

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

yes, the end of 1987 was disappointing, but I think failing in the playoffs is a different kind of disappointment than having a disappointing season.  87 was a punch in the gut, but the 85 season was a full season let down for a team I thought was going to be a dynasty.  I actually have mostly fond memories of 87 because it was the best pennant race of my lifetime, something that can no longer happen in today's game.    1987 and 2006 are two of my top five Tigers seasons.  I guess I always figured the playoffs are just a crapshoot!

Edited by Tiger337

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

yes, the end of 1987 was disappointing, but I think failing in the playoffs is a different kind of disappointment than having a disappointing season.  87 was a punch in the gut, but the 85 season was a full season let down for a team I thought was going to be a dynasty.  I actually have mostly fond memories of 87 because it was the best pennant race of my lifetime, something that can no longer happen in today's game.    1987 and 2006 are two of my top five Tigers seasons.  I guess I always figured the playoffs are just a crapshoot!

I get the playoff crapshoot element as well as you do, but it's really only 50/50 when the teams are evenly-matched, and those teams were not evenly matched. It's true that any team can beat any other team on any given day. Even the Tigers beat the Yankees in one game in 2003, but it wasn't a 50-50 proposition every time they matched up.

Just flipping a weighted coin based on Pythag, as a blunt way to determine how teams matched up to one another, and holding other things equal, the 1987 Tigers had a 61-39 chance to beat the Twins each game, and the 2006 Tigers had a 58-42 chance to beat the Cardinals each game.

You may strongly disagree with looking at it this way, but this basically why I was disappointed the better Tigers team lost in each case.

Just now, chasfh said:

I get the playoff crapshoot element as well as you do, but it's really only 50/50 when the teams are evenly-matched, and those teams were not evenly matched. It's true that any team can beat any other team on any given day. Even the Tigers beat the Yankees in one game in 2003, but it wasn't a 50-50 proposition every time they matched up.

Just flipping a weighted coin based on Pythag, as a blunt way to determine how teams matched up to one another, and holding other things equal, the 1987 Tigers had a 61-39 chance to beat the Twins each game, and the 2006 Tigers had a 58-42 chance to beat the Cardinals each game.

You may strongly disagree with looking at it this way, but this basically why I was disappointed the better Tigers team lost in each case.

It's still just one week in the fall though.  It was a fun summer.    

I have little memories of the 87 series with MN for some reason.  I guess I don't recall ever really thinking they would win it after the first 2 games.  Maybe when the gut punch is early you rationalize it.  The absolute peak after that to me was game 4 against the Yankees when Bonderman walked off the mound after his performance.  You knew they'd win.  The Maggs homer itself was a better single moment but by that point we knew the Tigers would win the series.

Game 4 in the '06 WS was the downer.  I went with a friend to watch the game at a bar in Wyandotte and we left to get back home.  I left that bar convinced the Tigers were going to win the game.  They were up in game 4, tying the series at 2.  Win game 5 then have Kenny Rogers close it out on Saturday. Seemed logical.

The '13 ALCS had Papi's HR as shock value but games 3 and 5 were worse.

I would have went with Phil Coke. The only reason Coke was on the playoff roster was to pitch to Ortiz. Coke had dominated Ortiz up until that point. The worst possible outcome, which did happen, would be a tie game. You then go to Benoit no matter what happened with Ortiz. Still, every reliever brought in gave up base runners and your closer and best reliever should be able to preserve a 4 run lead. 

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would have went with Phil Coke. The only reason Coke was on the playoff roster was to pitch to Ortiz. Coke had dominated Ortiz up until that point. The worst possible outcome, which did happen, would be a tie game. You then go to Benoit no matter what happened with Ortiz. Still, every reliever brought in gave up base runners and your closer and best reliever should be able to preserve a 4 run lead. 

LOL - I hated Benoit. I'd rather lose the game than have to wait through Benoit's pitch by pitch deliberations. The guy was horrible...

42 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah it was probably a bad idea to bring in your best reliever against their best hitter with 2 outs in the 8th up 4. 

better to waste your entire pen and then bring in a flyball pitcher to throw to the best home run hitter on the other team.

leyland overmanaged that inning and cost them a 2-0 series lead.

and tori hunter probably should have played that fly ball better too.

what really cost them was dombrowski's inability to put together a decent pen and cabrera's injury.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

better to waste your entire pen and then bring in a flyball pitcher to throw to the best home run hitter on the other team.

leyland overmanaged that inning and cost them a 2-0 series lead.

and tori hunter probably should have played that fly ball better too.

what really cost them was dombrowski's inability to put together a decent pen and cabrera's injury.

Literally every reliever brought into the game gave up a baserunner. What reliever, who couldn't get outs, should Leyland have stuck with? I guess you could make the case for Smyly since he only walked the only batter he faced. I suppose you could have made the case for sticking with Scherzer until he blew out his arm or finished the game. 

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - I hated Benoit. I'd rather lose the game than have to wait through Benoit's pitch by pitch deliberations. The guy was horrible...

He was not horrible that year and was pretty good that year. I suppose you could make the case Smyly was a better reliever that year but Benoit was without a doubt the best reliever available unless you favored the matchup of Coke vs Ortiz. Either way, it's not much of an ask for arguably your best reliever to not give up a homerun.