2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If they were to fire Hinch and keep Al, that would eliminate the last remaining shred of hope I have for the future of this organization.

I really doubt that would happen, but that does seen to be what a few folks here would like to see.

I'm on the fire Al AND get a new owner bandwagon.

This shit ain't working.

At this point the fanbase should be in full revolt.   A struggling team with a near 80-yaer old manager, who doesn't seem to know what he's doing just came in to your house and pissed all over your rug and laughed.    This has very little to do with injuries, the injuries have been mainly pitchers and the pitching staff has held up remarkably well.  You have one kid who had a remarkable start to his career on the mound and has only 1 win to show for it becuase of your horrible lineup.  Kid had a bad day today, he ain't perfect.  

Boycott this team.  Don't spend a dime on merch, don't buy tickets, don't give them your money anymore.   

This is repulsive.  

This aggression can not stand, man. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 2

“I totally understand the scrutiny and the scapegoat part, but it’s a 24-hour news cycle and you still wake up and have an offense that’s below average right now. So other than making you feel better, I don’t know that it’s a justifiable move,” Hinch said Wednesday on the Stoney & Jansen Show. “Obviously it’s a performance league. Whether it’s the players, coaches, me, we’ve gotta get this thing more stable.”

“Right now, our messages are consistent,” said Hinch. “If we had philosophical differences, I would understand the changes and scapegoats. I just want us to win today’s game and I want better times because when we had 12 hits (in Monday’s loss), same hitting coach. When we won four out of five against a first-place Minnesota Twins team 10 days ago, same hitting coach. We’re not off scot-free, but I’m also not sure that’s the solution.”

“It’s hard because you look at Robbie Grossman’s breakthrough last year and Robbie Grossman this year, similar message, same hitting coaches. I’ve moved him down in the order now because he’s not getting on base and not having the same quality of at-bats. Jonathan Schoop, same thing,” said Hinch.

“I didn’t think we were going to necessarily be the most consistent offense, but we expected more,” said Hinch. “We have a number of guys that are performing at career lows and that is not a recipe for fun, so obviously our guys are getting frustrated. It is mid-June. I think it’s weighing on some guys a little bit, as it should. At this level when you’re competing nightly, there’s no free pass.”

Hinch had this to say on Baez in particular:

“I don’t like the place that he’s in mentally, because he does care. (The way) he carries himself, you can see the frustration in his body language. The defense has been plus, some of those plays are remarkable, but generally when you sign a big free agent I don’t think many people want to talk about defense. They all want to talk about offense. …

https://www.audacy.com/971theticket/sports/detroit-tigers/tigers-a-j-hinch-not-considering-changing-hitting-coaches

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If they were to fire Hinch and keep Al, that would eliminate the last remaining shred of hope I have for the future of this organization.

I really doubt that would happen, but that does seen to be what a few folks here would like to see.

Who here wants to keep Al?

4 minutes ago, kdog said:

what if the 'consistent message' is just the wrong message? Just because you are all on the same page doesn't mean you're not reading "War and Peace" instead of the ACME hitter user manual.

Edited by gehringer_2

22 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

At this point the fanbase should be in full revolt.   A struggling team with a near 80-yaer old manager, who doesn't seem to know what he's doing just came in to your house and pissed all over your rug and laughed.    This has very little to do with injuries, the injuries have been mainly pitchers and the pitching staff has held up remarkably well.  You have one kid who had a remarkable start to his career on the mound and has only 1 win to show for it becuase of your horrible lineup.  Kid had a bad day today, he ain't perfect.  

Boycott this team.  Don't spend a dime on merch, don't buy tickets, don't give them your money anymore.   

This is repulsive.  

This aggression can not stand, man. 

I was thinking the same thing. Sox were struggling. They are ahead in the standings. It's a golden opportunity and these games haven't been competitive at all. It's like men vs boys right now. Embarrassing.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

At some point, Avila's tenure becomes untenable. I'll allow some forgiveness for injuries. But his player dev system has produced nothing substantial in the field. And it looks like they'll need at least a few more years to cycle out the older vets who haven't produced this year.

we passed that point years ago; outside of a few recent wins, they have literally decades of failing to identify or develop amateur talent which Avila was totally involved in; they have been particularly horrible in the international market and developing position players; the small recent successes only look good in light of their abject historical failure; Avila should have been fired a dozen times

What's the point in keeping AJ either?    So he can rot?    I like the guy, but why sentence him to this?   He's now paid for his past crimes, he did his time, first in purgatory and now 2 years in Hell.  Release him.     Al's going nowhere.  Al doesn't rock the boat.  Al's a good little soldier for Chris.    Chris is a businessman who inherited a sports team and as long as he can squeeze any kind of profit out of it, he's not selling and that's why we need to stop giving them our money.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

I hope you looked at the post I made last night during an angry outburst. 

You saw what 20 years of drafting has brought, as far as position players.    You couldn't even put a full respectable lineup for 20 years of drafting.   I'm not giving up on Spence, I'm not giving up on Greene, but this idea that Colt Keith or Ryan Kreidler or Roberto Campos will come to the rescue is ridiculous.  Right now our development guys are busy screwing them up somehow,  probably tweaking the things that are working to the point where they don't work anymore.  I don't know, I just know every single person involved in scouting, drafting and developing players needs to be fired at the end of the season.  I shudder at the thought of them having their hands on another draft but you can't really cut everyone loose in mid-season.   I know it won't happen.  I know Chris doesn't care,  so here we are  1988-2005 all over again, and with that as the standard of suck, we're only in 1996.   Gonna be a great fuckin' decade.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This offense is worse than the 2003 Tigers.    The pitching is the only thing being a .250 team. 

It is objectively one of the worst offenses of any team in the past 80 years.  Based on runs scored per game, it is the worst since 1942.  

12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What's the point in keeping AJ either?    So he can rot?    I like the guy, but why sentence him to this?   He's now paid for his past crimes, he did his time, first in purgatory and now 2 years in Hell.  Release him.     Al's going nowhere.  Al doesn't rock the boat.  Al's a good little soldier for Chris.    Chris is a businessman who inherited a sports team and as long as he can squeeze any kind of profit out of it, he's not selling and that's why we need to stop giving them our money.  

chris isnt a businessman.  chris is the SON of a businessman.  he's had everything in his life handed to him on a platter.  he obviously knows little about running a baseball team.  and the only thing he's ever done for his hockey team was have steve yzerman tell him he wanted to come home.  

29 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

we passed that point years ago; outside of a few recent wins, they have literally decades of failing to identify or develop amateur talent which Avila was totally involved in; they have been particularly horrible in the international market and developing position players; the small recent successes only look good in light of their abject historical failure; Avila should have been fired a dozen times

i thought he should have been fired after the jd martinez trade.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think they should keep him either.  I am not sure about Hinch though.  He is a smart baseball man, but he lost the Astros in the cheating scandal.  Has he now lost the Tigers?  

what exactly did he lose here?

my biggest problem with hinch waa his failure to convince correa to sign here.

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think they should keep him either.  I am not sure about Hinch though.  He is a smart baseball man, but he lost the Astros in the cheating scandal.  Has he now lost the Tigers?  

Trying to manage an under-performing professional team in the modern era, esp one with a thin roster roster is pretty much a fool's errand. The combination of not being able to send contracted guys out and not having guys to call up even if you could, mean the modern manager has zero leverage. Eventually even an otherwise capable manager gets burned out on his hopeless team and all you can do is bring in someone else.

Edited by gehringer_2

No way in hell AJ stays here.  He's a smart guy and see's the writing on Chris and Al's poop covered wall.  No way in hell if I'm AJ do I stay unless Avila is fired, and he (AJ) is allowed to have a direct hand in picking the new GM.  No. Way. In. Hell. Is AJ sticking around for this effing disaster.  Oh, I'm sure he's thrilled when he literally stood on a corner with his buddy Corea and offered their bodies to this team, but nah, Al and Chris decided to go with windmill la mag-ahhhh mcgee Javy.  No way AJ wants to be here after this season....especially with all the light years better opportunities that will be available.  F*uck you Chris I. And f*ck you AL.

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm so sick of the word REBUILDING

All of our teams REBUILDING for a decade.   When was the last time one of our 4 majors made the playoffs, 2014?

I'm upset that Chris and his stewardship of the Tigers has overtaken my hatred for the Fords and their dipshittery running of the Lions...never thought one of our 3 other big teams here in Det would overtake the Lions and the Fords, so gj Chris, you are now literally below the Lions in Det sport level of garbage.

Edited by Dtrain72

2 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

I'm upset that Chris and his stewardship of the Tigers has overtaken my hatred for the Fords and their dipshittery running of the Lions...never thought one of our 3 other big teams here in Det would overtake the Lions and the Fords, so gj Chris, you are now literally below the Lions in Det sport level of garbage.

Think about it............

The team who might win their 3rd straight Stanley Cup was largely built by Steve Yzerman.   Makes you feel good.  There's hope.  It's taking longer than we'd like but you see the potential there.  I trust Yzerman.  He gets five more years before I start wondering. 

The Pistons were in quicksand for years and Troy Weaver has come in and made a bunch of moves and most of them are working, he's got the skeleton of a good team and he's got the budding superstar.  A good draft pick and a above average free agent gets them into the playoff chase.  I think he's done wonders very quickly, even thought it isn't showing in the record (part of that was by design)

The Lions seem to have hired a sensible GM that doesn't say a bunch of stupid shit and doesn't act holier than thou.  So far I think Brad Holmes has had 2 pretty good drafts, but we won't know.  The coach?  A bit of a buffoon, but far better than the arrogant ass we had before.  The players LOVE the guy and they'll fight like hell for him.   There's hope, not this year, but even national pundits are talking about the Lions. 

And then there's Al.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Think about it............

The team who might win their 3rd straight Stanley Cup was largely built by Steve Yzerman.   Makes you feel good.  There's hope.  It's taking longer than we'd like but you see the potential there.  I trust Yzerman.  He gets five more years before I start wondering. 

The Pistons were in quicksand for years and Troy Weaver has come in and made a bunch of moves and most of them are working, he's got the skeleton of a good team and he's got the budding superstar.  A good draft pick and a above average free agent gets them into the playoff chase.  I think he's done wonders very quickly, even thought it isn't showing in the record (part of that was by design)

The Lions seem to have hired a sensible GM that doesn't say a bunch of stupid shit and doesn't act holier than thou.  So far I think Brad Holmes has had 2 pretty good drafts, but we won't know.  The coach?  A bit of a buffoon, but far better than the arrogant ass we had before.  The players LOVE the guy and they'll fight like hell for him.   There's hope, not this year, but even national pundits are talking about the Lions. 

And then there's Al.   

And this:

Screenshot_20220612-164357_Chrome.jpg

33 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

It's a fair question though, do you think that anyone here wants to keep Al?  I don't ever remember anyone saying that.

Anyone who might have wanted that probably doesn’t want that anymore. Today may have been the last straw.