2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Anyone who might have wanted that probably doesn’t want that anymore. Today may have been the last straw.

My stance on this team hasn't changed.

Rough times.

But difficult times are not a good reason to make panic moves.

And IMO, everyone in here is now in Panic Mode.

Just now, chasfh said:

Anyone who might have wanted that probably doesn’t want that anymore. Today may have been the last straw.

Today was it, Today was the end.   The White Sox were reeling coming in, the fans were lustily booing their manager who literally could have dementia.  Now they're all better, aren't they?   

There's no reason to watch this garbage anymore..........well, maybe because we're a bunch of junkies looking for a fix, but this is a waste of time and energy.  Working from home today and didn't flip on the game for one second, and glad I didn't. Cancelling my MLB TV subscription tomorrow.  Why bother anymore?   

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Rough times.

Maybe...but isnt a team thats on track to be the worst offense since 1901 a reason to, maybe, idk, go into a bit of panic mode?

53 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I hope you looked at the post I made last night during an angry outburst. 

You saw what 20 years of drafting has brought, as far as position players.    You couldn't even put a full respectable lineup for 20 years of drafting.   I'm not giving up on Spence, I'm not giving up on Greene, but this idea that Colt Keith or Ryan Kreidler or Roberto Campos will come to the rescue is ridiculous.  Right now our development guys are busy screwing them up somehow,  probably tweaking the things that are working to the point where they don't work anymore.  I don't know, I just know every single person involved in scouting, drafting and developing players needs to be fired at the end of the season.  I shudder at the thought of them having their hands on another draft but you can't really cut everyone loose in mid-season.   I know it won't happen.  I know Chris doesn't care,  so here we are  1988-2005 all over again, and with that as the standard of suck, we're only in 1996.   Gonna be a great fuckin' decade.  

The Ilitches bought the team in 1992. They have owned the team for 34 first-round draft picks, and 23 of those picks have been right-handed pitchers.

They selected six straight RHPs over a five-year stretch in 1994-98, five RHPs during the four-year stretch of 2007-2010, and four more RHPs in four straight years 2015-18.

They used their two first-rounders in 2021 on RHPs as well, so they are in the middle of a RHP streak now.

That’s downright pathological.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Ilitches bought the team in 1992. They have owned the team for 34 first-round draft picks, and 23 of those picks have been right-handed pitchers.

They selected six straight RHPs over a five-year stretch in 1994-98, five RHPs during the four-year stretch of 2007-2010, and four more RHPs in four straight years 2015-18.

They used their two first-rounders in 2021 on RHPs as well, so they are in the middle of a RHP streak now.

Another tidbit related to this:

Of the 23 RHPs they have used first-round picks on, only three have a career WAR greater than 5.0.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What is even worse is they don't get any success form any other round............consistently or even non consistent.    Most good teams are not loaded with 1st round guys.   You have to strike sometimes  outside of the first round.............the Tigers don't even do it by accident, man. 

I just stepped outside to check for mail...............HOLY SHIT.............I can't imagine sitting at that stadium in the sun today.  Insane. 

Going to see Tears For Fears tonight at Pine Knob, those British boys are gonna melt.   But you know what, I'll see more hits tonight than any Tigers fan saw at Comerica from the home team.  . 

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I just stepped outside to check for mail...............HOLY SHIT.............I can't imagine sitting at that stadium in the sun today.  Insane. 

Sitting in 95 watching that burning bag of horse**** would put the whole "worst day at the ballpark is still better than an average day" thing to the test

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Going to see Tears For Fears tonight at Pine Knob, those British boys are gonna melt.   But you know what, I'll see more hits tonight than any Tigers fan saw at Comerica from the home team.  . 

Have fun.  I would expect it to be pretty empty.   Weather aside, most all of the major touring bands have struggled to fill seats so far this summer.   

17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What is even worse is they don't get any success form any other round............consistently or even non consistent.    Most good teams are not loaded with 1st round guys.   You have to strike sometimes  outside of the first round.............the Tigers don't even do it by accident, man. 

The Tigers actually have seven first-rounders on the active roster right now.

Five of them were selected by other teams.

EDIT: Just compared us with other American League teams: only the Yankees have more first-rounders on their active roster, with eight. Three other teams also have seven: Angels, White Sox, Rangers.

Edited by chasfh

This is the lowest point since 2003.  It really is.   

I remember 97.1 playing Ernie's last game the weekend after he died, they played it on a Sunday morning and I remember listening and hearing that lineup and how horrible it was (2002 team) and thinking what a shame that a legend like Ernie had to call his last game with a lineup like that.    They were better than this.  

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Have fun.  I would expect it to be pretty empty.   Weather aside, most all of the major touring bands have struggled to fill seats so far this summer.   

With the economy careening into recession, I gotta believe that attendance to expensive sports and entertainment events are going to cave.

Just now, chasfh said:

With the economy careening into recession, I gotta believe that attendance to expensive sports and entertainment events are going to cave.

Absolutely.   Have you taken a look at what face value to go to a major concert is these days.  It’s insane. These promoters are in for a rude awakening 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

what exactly did he lose here?

my biggest problem with hinch waa his failure to convince correa to sign here.

This should be close to a league average offense (maybe a little less) instead of the worst offense in 80 years.  I don't know whether that has anything to with him, but if Ausmus or Gardenhire were the manager, they'd be getting blamed for it.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Rough times.

If there is anybody here that knows about emotional modes, it would be you!

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Have tickets, too, but bailing due to the heat.  Hope you see a good show.

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

This should be close to a league average offense (maybe a little less) instead of the worst offense in 80 years.  I don't know whether that has anything to with him, but if Ausmus or Gardenhire were the manager, they'd be getting blamed for it.   

It comes down to trying to predict whether desperation psychology is a plus or minus in a situation like this. Hinch and Avila have been 100% 'stay the course, it is inevitable these players will come around'. The alternative is to start firing people and churning the roster and who know what you may give away in your haste to create motion.

How many players are more likely to respond to patience as opposed to a kick in the ass? Damned if I or anyone else really knows.

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Absolutely.   Have you taken a look at what face value to go to a major concert is these days.  It’s insane. These promoters are in for a rude awakening 

One of the best perks of being in radio is getting tickets to a lot of shows (not all of them though), but even indie bands are just ridiculous, but you can still see a young and upcoming band at a place like Magic Stick or El Club for $30 or less and those younger and upcoming bands are usually more into it.    

I was going to buy Elton John tickets for his new farewell tour (his 15th farewell tour, I think) and the show is at (or was at ) Comerica.   I selected the tickets, went to the shopping cart and saw that the price for $46 more dollars than advertised due to fees.  I can afford that, but I took a stand and said NOPE.   $23 a ticket is bullshit.   Girlfriend agreed.  Elton can't even hit those high notes anymore anyway.    But the final price should be advertised that way.   Not paying those kind of fees,  not even getting a real ticket either.  

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Trying to manage an under-performing professional team in the modern era, esp one with a thin roster roster is pretty much a fool's errand. The combination of not being able to send contracted guys out and not having guys to call up even if you could, mean the modern manager has zero leverage. Eventually even an otherwise capable manager gets burned out on his hopeless team and all you can do is bring in someone else.

yeah, I know.  I don't think this is Hinch's fault.  I am still in the "managers are overrated" camp.