2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Ilitches bought the team in 1992. They have owned the team for 34 first-round draft picks, and 23 of those picks have been right-handed pitchers.

They selected six straight RHPs over a five-year stretch in 1994-98, five RHPs during the four-year stretch of 2007-2010, and four more RHPs in four straight years 2015-18.

They used their two first-rounders in 2021 on RHPs as well, so they are in the middle of a RHP streak now.

That’s downright pathological.

Who could ever forget the all-college-relievers draft? 

1 minute ago, kdog said:

I’m not in panic mode. This team is awful and the current gm created the issue. He has never built a winning org on his own and I see no evidence to let him try again.

Yup, time to scrap it.  If the new GM wants a new manager, so be it. 

I would hate to lose Fetter in the process.  He should probably be untouchable.

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Take a walk around the District Detroit at night and whistle,  you'll hear your whistle echo off the buildings and the parking structures because there is nobody else there to absorb the sound.   

I love that they guy won't give in on selling the house.   Good for him.   To hell with Chris.   I miss Dad. 

so I grew up in NW Detroit and there was a good size shopping area at Grand River and Greenfield, anchored on the three  corners by a Ward's, a Federal's, and Hughes and Hatcher men's store.  The Ward's and the Federal's had parking lots behind the buildings. Someone had a house in middle of the Federal's lot they wouldn't sell. It must have stood there in the middle of the parking lot for 20-30 years. Somebody died, the house was finally torn down, but not long after the whole shopping area was toast anyway. In the end it didn't bother anyone.

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, casimir said:

No, seriously, the floor is yours.  Go ahead and out who wants to fire Hinch and retain Avila.

Cas comin' in 🔥🔥🔥! He smells blood! 🤣🤣🤣

There are posts in this forum that have called for the head of A.J. Hinch without any mention that it is Al, not A.J., who is the architect of this roster and system as of today. You seen these posts around here. I trust that you're not going to insist that has never happened so I won't have to produce any for you.

I was one of the guys replying to these folks to remind them that A.J. is doing the best he can with the crap talent and all the injuries, and I've taken a lot of fire for that. My read from those posts was that they thought the situation the Tigers are in now was mostly or all A.J.'s fault.

Of course, it's now several weeks or so after all that started and now it looks like everyone is finally getting on board with the truth: this tire fire is entirely Al Avila's responsibility. A lot of people still want to fire A.J., which I get because we're all mad and that'll scratch our goddamned itch, but now some here want to fire everybody, including Ryan Garko, who has been here for nine months.

I don't think it makes sense to fire one guy who's been here for nine months and another guy who's been here for a year and a half when this failure has been, to be generous, five-plus years in the making.

Now please, put the billy club down and take a breath ... 😁

25 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Take a walk around the District Detroit at night and whistle,  you'll hear your whistle echo off the buildings and the parking structures because there is nobody else there to absorb the sound.   

I love that they guy won't give in on selling the house.   Good for him.   To hell with Chris.   I miss Dad. 

Mike was a bigger slumlord than Chris. Mike promised a whole mess of development around Comerica. He owned all the vacant buildings behind the Fox that he left to deteriorate to the point where the only option was to tear them down. He even tore down the Madison-Lennox hotel to make room for a parking lot before the Super Bowl despite people wanting to develop it. Mike gets a free pass because he saved the Fox and spent on the teams. Don't forget, Mike had owned the Tigers for 10 years when they lost 119 games in 2003 and had losing seasons in 12 of 13 seasons prior to 2006. I could certainly do without the whole Illitch clan. 

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

so I grew up in NW Detroit and there was a good size shopping area at Grand River and Greenfield, anchored on the three  corners by a Ward's, a Federal's, and Hughes and Hatcher men's store.  The Ward's and the Federal's had parking lots behind the buildings. Someone had a house in middle of the Federal's lot they wouldn't sell. It must have stood there in the middle of the parking lot for 20-30 years. Somebody died, the house was finally torn down, but not long after the whole shopping area was toast anyway. In the end it didn't bother anyone.

dude, you are old.  lol.

😀

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Cas comin' in 🔥🔥🔥! He smells blood! 🤣🤣🤣

There are posts in this forum that have called for the head of A.J. Hinch without any mention that it is Al, not A.J., who is the architect of this roster and system as of today. You seen these posts around here. I trust that you're not going to insist that has never happened so I won't have to produce any for you.

I was one of the guys replying to these folks to remind them that A.J. is doing the best he can with the crap talent and all the injuries, and I've taken a lot of fire for that. My read from those posts was that they thought the situation the Tigers are in now was mostly or all A.J.'s fault.

Of course, it's now several weeks or so after all that started and now it looks like everyone is finally getting on board with the truth: this tire fire is entirely Al Avila's responsibility. A lot of people still want to fire A.J., which I get because we're all mad and that'll scratch our goddamned itch, but now some here want to fire everybody, including Ryan Garko, who has been here for nine months.

I don't think it makes sense to fire one guy who's been here for nine months and another guy who's been here for a year and a half when this failure has been, to be generous, five-plus years in the making.

Now please, put the billy club down and take a breath ... 😁

some folks on the board will always hate hinch because of the astros thing and will look to anything to fire him and claim he "cant control the clubhouse."