2022 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Really liked him as a prospect with the Tigers.  Figured he was out of baseball.  Good for him.

I'm curious about this and I don't intend it as some big gotcha moment or to ridicule....genuinely curious.

What was it about him that you really liked? How did you come to really like him. As I recall, the scouting consensus, mine included, was he was a non-prospect (which time has born out). The only place he was "hyped" (and I put that in quotes intentionally) was from the Tigers themselves....they pumped his tires a bit and added him to the 40-man roster, which was a recognition for a good season and nothing to do with future potential, the same thing they did for Jordan Lennerton once upon a time. 

Was it the club's PR on him that hooked you, did you have a good experience with him at the ballpark, was it the stats, what drew you to him as a prospect. It's interesting to me because he and Lennerton were two of the first public prospect PR campaigns I can remember from the Tigers....they've clearly been successful hyping some prospects more recently with their social media reach, podcasts, etc., and some of them deservedly so, but I'm genuinely curious if that's what hooked you on him back then.

As a prospect writer, fighting the org narrative has always been one of the biggest challenges (it used to just be a fight to sift through the BS when you talked to org sources) and I occasionally like to get this data to see how far back I was actually fighting against the org pushing shit publicly versus just fighting normal fan enthusiasm.

26 minutes ago, microline133 said:

I'm curious about this and I don't intend it as some big gotcha moment or to ridicule....genuinely curious.

What was it about him that you really liked? How did you come to really like him. As I recall, the scouting consensus, mine included, was he was a non-prospect (which time has born out). The only place he was "hyped" (and I put that in quotes intentionally) was from the Tigers themselves....they pumped his tires a bit and added him to the 40-man roster, which was a recognition for a good season and nothing to do with future potential, the same thing they did for Jordan Lennerton once upon a time. 

Was it the club's PR on him that hooked you, did you have a good experience with him at the ballpark, was it the stats, what drew you to him as a prospect. It's interesting to me because he and Lennerton were two of the first public prospect PR campaigns I can remember from the Tigers....they've clearly been successful hyping some prospects more recently with their social media reach, podcasts, etc., and some of them deservedly so, but I'm genuinely curious if that's what hooked you on him back then.

As a prospect writer, fighting the org narrative has always been one of the biggest challenges (it used to just be a fight to sift through the BS when you talked to org sources) and I occasionally like to get this data to see how far back I was actually fighting against the org pushing shit publicly versus just fighting normal fan enthusiasm.

3E4725EA-7522-4C33-A459-B831B5D9C1ED.gif

45 minutes ago, microline133 said:

I remember people hyping him up especially in Spring training and they got mad when you called him a non-prospect.  I just figured any player who was drafted in the 35th round and was released probably wasn't very good.     

12 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

1300 AAA PAs and a .320 OBP.  Jeremy Giambi would be proud indeed.

He was barely in AAA for the Tigers (149 AB's). The majority of those AB's came after he left the organization. His OBP at WM was .394 and .352 at Erie.  That's where my "fandom" ended.

but don't let the facts get in the way of a condescending post.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:41 AM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Interesting breakdown

So guys in the lineups from the ol' English D's drafts including guys on Detroit are:

- Mize

- Tork

- Greene

- Nick C

- JV

- W. Adames

But who is supposed to be our draft-product working as the SS for San Fransisco?  It's not Crawford, did they think Machado was the SFG everyday SS?

Anyway, the list above is pretty weak, except for JV.

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

He was barely in AAA for the Tigers (149 AB's). The majority of those AB's came after he left the organization. His OBP at WM was .394 and .352 at Erie.  That's where my "fandom" ended.

but don't let the facts get in the way of a condescending post.

In response to Micro's thoughtful question you responded with a silly meme about how it's obvious that Bernard gets on base.....I was trying to imagine Micro as one of the scouts that had to be schooled by the new kid...didn't really work. 

The reference of that meme of course is J. Giambi, who had a BB% of 15% in AA and AAA and again in the Major Leagues.  Not everybody who gets on base well walks to the degree that Giambi did, I get that, but the guy you are talking about doesn't even have above-average skills in that area.

Bernard's AA and AAA BB% is about 7.5%.  His peak was 9.6% in 2014 against A-ball pitching.  He has only 70 walks in his last 870 PAs (8%), so it's not like he's developed in that area even as he has aged through his peak years athletically.

Anyway, best of luck to the young man, I wish him well, good to see him achieve the dream!

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

In response to Micro's thoughtful question you responded with a silly meme about how it's obvious that Bernard gets on base.....I was trying to imagine Micro as one of the scouts that had to be schooled by the new kid...didn't really work. 

The reference of that meme of course is J. Giambi, who had a BB% of 15% in AA and AAA and again in the Major Leagues.  Not everybody who gets on base well walks to the degree that Giambi did, I get that, but the guy you are talking about doesn't even have above-average skills in that area.

Bernard's AA and AAA BB% is about 7.5%.  His peak was 9.6% in 2014 against A-ball pitching.  He has only 70 walks in his last 870 PAs (8%), so it's not like he's developed in that area even as he has aged through his peak years athletically.

Anyway, best of luck to the young man, I wish him well, good to see him achieve the dream!

it was a gif.

And I didn't realize the firestorm I would set off amongst all of our experts with my throw-away comment "Really liked him as a prospect with the Tigers."  Perhaps I should have balanced that comment with we should have been suspicious that he was discarded pretty quickly by the Padres.  Or that he was older for the leagues he played in.  Or that he was not a particularly good base stealer.  Truthfully, I probably hadn't thought of him since 2015, when our farm system was particularly barren that you could get interested in a prospect who put up good batting averages and OBP.  In full transparency, once I was very thoughtfully called out, I had to go back and look him up on Baseball Reference.  

To be clear, I'm not an analyst.  I'm equally a fan and a critic who tries to contribute to conversations. Like everyone else here, I have opinions and don't have it all figured out.  My best advice is not to take me too literally or seriously.  

That graphic of all of the current starting lineup's draft origins is REALLY fascinating.

Looks like the average is about 3-4 guys in a lineup (putting aside the top starting pitcher) that were drafted by the same team.  The Tigers were at 2 (Tork/Greene) assuming this was put together before 2022 with projected lineups.

Let's try a thought experiment.  Let's say you have 4 guys in your 9-man lineup on average from your draft.  Let's say the frequency of turnover is thus:

1 is replaced every year

1 is replaced every other year

1 is replaced every third year

1 is replaced every fourth year

In the above scenario, would need to develop about 2 guys a year from your system to stay about average.  My guess is that the average turnover isn't quite that high, but you get the point.  Seems like you need to draft and develop at least one good position player or maybe two if you want to be competitive without being too heavy on FAs and trades.

28 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Grossman last year reminded me of Becker.

Yes, I just looked it up, over his 6 best years (2016 - 2021), Grossman averaged the following per year:

Average 115 442 376 55 95 21 2 10 43 7 2 60 90

With a slash of BA/OBP/SLG/OPS/OPS+

.359 .400 .759 108

That's pretty nice, actually better than Becker, who was usually below 100 OPS+. 

Grossman has so far been about half-way between Becker and Johnny Grubb, one of the all-time great part-time players, who was always above average, but practically never played full time, but over 16 seasons still wound up with 5000 PAs, 1150 H, 100 HR, 550 BB (more BB than SO), and a stunning career 121 OPS+.  1981 (looks like he might have been injured) and 1987 (his last year at age 38) were the only two years with OPS+ below 102.

That is what I call a safe bet.

Edited by sabretooth

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

And I didn't realize the firestorm I would set off amongst all of our experts with my throw-away comment "Really liked him as a prospect with the Tigers." 

I viewed it as a throw comment and did not think you were being dismissive.  I have never seen you be disrespectful here.  

7 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

The plot sickens. Blames it on ringworm medication but that medication shouldn't contain anabolic steroids.

https://www.outkick.com/dr-david-chao-tatis-steroid-use-has-nothing-to-do-with-his-scaphoid-fracture-or-ringworm/

LOL, the treatment for ringworm, which is not a worm but a fungus, is Miconazole (Tinactin etc), and that's usually not hard to find in a locker room!

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL, the treatment for ringworm, which is not a worm but a fungus, is Miconazole (Tinactin etc), and that's usually not hard to find in a locker room!

OK, so he grabbed the wrong bottle.  Those things are typically stored alphabetically, and it should go ....sunblock, steroids, Tinactin, Tums,...., but someone (probably Hosmer or Voit on their way out the door) switched up the steroids and Tinactin.