2022 NBA Playoffs

Deleterious

When it's all said and done where will Paul rank among the best PGs in history or players in general for that matter? Currently the only true PG with more win shares than him all time is Stockton and his BPM is only behind Magic among PGs and 6th overall only trailing MJ, Lebron, Magic, David Robinson and Jokic. 

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

When it's all said and done where will Paul rank among the best PGs in history or players in general for that matter? Currently the only true PG with more win shares than him all time is Stockton and his BPM is only behind Magic among PGs and 6th overall only trailing MJ, Lebron, Magic, David Robinson and Jokic. 

he's already better than stockton.  did you ever see stockton play like paul played yesterday?

its paul and magic.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't know how players from different eras can be reasonably compared to each other.  So much of the game has evolved over time.  What hasn't changed?  Free throws have kind of remained the same, but that's about it.

not only the 3 pt shot, but the zone rules as well. If Kareem played today he might  get his pocket picked from the backside every time he tried to sky-hook. But then who is to say he might not have been the 1st great 3 pt shooting big man if that had been the game he was brought up on? There is just no way to know. The skills demanded are definitely different.

The other day the guys on the radio came up the the rule that you can't make a claim comparing anybody you didn't actually see play. Probably fair but maybe still too liberal.

Edited by gehringer_2

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

not only the 3 pt shot, but the zone rules as well. If Kareem played today he might  get his pocket picked from the backside every time he tried to sky-hook. But then who is to say he might not have been the 1st great 3 pt shooting big man if that had been the game he was brought up on? There is just no way to know. The skills demanded are definitely different.

The other day the guys on the radio came up the the rule that you can't make a claim comparing anybody you didn't actually see play. Probably fair but maybe still too liberal.

i think the older players would have been much better three point shooters if it had been a major part of the game back then.  guys like jordan and isiah would have been taking and making more threes if the game was played that way back then instead of being a mid range game.

I grew up watching guys like MJ, Bird, Magic etc. but even though I was at an age where I understood what was going on(I was in High School when MJ retired) I really didn't know what made a great player since I didn't study stats or anything like that. 

To me if you scored alot of points or made some spectacular plays you were a great player, like no joke one of my fave players in school was Golden State era Latrell Sprewell who I thought was great just for those reasons.

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think the older players would have been much better three point shooters if it had been a major part of the game back then.  guys like jordan and isiah would have been taking and making more threes if the game was played that way back then instead of being a mid range game.

Jordan is the interesting example of a guy who would face a different set of challenges today playing the way he did at the time. How many thousand times did we see 4 Bulls to the the right side of the court while Jordan went left so some poor schmuck (at least one not named Dumars or Rodman) would have to defend him iso? Heck that's a big part of the reason they changed the rules after he retired (the first time....). ISO was boring.

To say that is not to take anything away from Jordan, he played to dominate the game under the rules that applied and he did. But how can you compare that to say Luka?

Edited by gehringer_2

Kerr is such a twat. Saying how his guys just play hard, go after every loose ball. And oh yeah, don't go after a guy who is ahead of the play and risk his career 

Zaza played for your team when he sick his leg out on that Kawhi jumper and he reinjured his ankle. Draymond had kicked how many people in the junk? 

Something about glass houses.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 11:11 PM, Deleterious said:

Kerr is such a twat. Saying how his guys just play hard, go after every loose ball. And oh yeah, don't go after a guy who is ahead of the play and risk his career 

Zaza played for your team when he sick his leg out on that Kawhi jumper and he reinjured his ankle. Draymond had kicked how many people in the junk? 

Something about glass houses.

No kidding. When they interviewed Kerr during the game and he called it "dirty" I was like, "what?".

It just looked like an attempted chase down block that failed. He was clearly going for the ball and accidentally caught GP's head because he didn't manage to jump high enough to get the ball. It's a full speed play and guys try to get chase down blocks all the time. GP just landed awkwardly. Clearly a Flagrant 1 because of contact to the head, but I didn't think it was a Flagrant 2 and I thought Draymond's hit to the face followed by a pull down was way worse.

watched part of the magic johnson doc on apple last night.  saw the first two episodes.  isiah gets a lot of air time.

but anyway, it reminded me of mchale's clothesline of rambis or magic's forearm to isiah's head.  now those were intentional hard fouls.  dirty fouls.

i was telling my wife, if you did thst nowadays you'd get a 10 game suspension, back then you got a regular foul call and a finger wag to not do it again.

different game today when what brooks did is considered "out of line" by kerr.  but kerr is a jack ass.  draymond greene is still on his team, is he not?  hypocrite.

• Like 1

That Bucks/Celtics series is a lot of fun, but man, they are letting them get physical in that series. Giannis getting away with some Lebron level offensive fouling while Tatum gets absolutely mugged on the other end. Also, that chase down block attempt by Giannis where he wrecked Tatum should've been a Flagrant 2 by the standard set with the Brooks call.  Hit a defenseless player from behind and wiped him out under the basket. Instead it's a common foul because you can't eject Giannis and because Tatum didn't land as awkwardly as GP. 

I love the the physical play and it's a great reminder of the difference between the regular season and the post-season. I just wish it was whistled more consistently across games, across players, and across the entire season.

11 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Is knuckle-dragger a racist term?

A reporter in Memphis used that term to describe Draymond and now everyone is screaming racism.

i thought knuckle dragger was a universal put down?  calling someone a neaderthal.  i guess it might have ape connotations so that's where the sensitivity comes from.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i thought knuckle dragger was a universal put down?  calling someone a neaderthal.  i guess it might have ape connotations so that's where the sensitivity comes from.

Right. Back in the day a white woman could call a large white uncouth male a knuckledragger and there was no racial connotation- it was an accusation of being 'un-evolved.' 

But exactly since the central tenet of white supremacy is that the white race is somehow 'more evolved' than the others, the term takes on a ton more loading when used outside an all white context.

i love how the media is treating the warriors win last night as them stealing a game because kerr wasnt there.

they played memphis at home without morant.  how did the "warriors" steal anything?  if anything, that was a missed opportunity for memphis to steal the game because the warriors couldnt shoot straight.

• Like 1