Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

11 minutes ago, clark1mt said:

Screw that, let 'em wallow in the consequences of their choices. Save treatment for those that are actually interested in helping themselves.

Wouldn't that be nice. We have 129 of those arseholes in ICU beds in Ontario, getting treated for free and occupying space that could be used for recovering surgery patients.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Mum's neighbor does have COVID.    So far she's doing alright, it has not gotten worse. Tha

This is likely thanks to a selfish asshole of a person who posed as a "caregiver".  

That's terrible.  There should be something that could be done to people that knowingly have covid and goes around other people.  Its bad enough that we get from people who don't know they have it.

13 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Wouldn't that be nice. We have 129 of those arseholes in ICU beds in Ontario, getting treated for free and occupying space that could be used for recovering surgery patients.

♫ Wouldn't it be nice If we were smarter
And we didn't have to live like this
Wouldn't it be nice if we worked harder
and realized that ignorance ain't bliss ♫

• Like 1

According to a chart I saw from him it’s about 25% breakthrough cases. 

hopefully we see a lot of kids get shots over the next 2 weeks and by Christmas things are better.  Comparisons to last year mean nothing to me because last year we had restrictions.  

39 minutes ago, oblong said:

hopefully we see a lot of kids get shots over the next 2 weeks and by Christmas things are better.  Comparisons to last year mean nothing to me because last year we had restrictions.  

We are getting an increase in cases on campus and the vax rate is 97% so those are all breakthrough positives. But OTOH they are not getting sick. At some point - and I'm not advocating it's now - preferably when the vax rate is higher or one of the therapeutics proves out, we are going to have to be OK with low severity spread in the vaccinated population. 

As a lot of people has already said, this one doesn't look like it's going to away, it's just going to get pushed down to  part of the background noise.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

We are getting an increase in cases on campus and the vax rate is 97% so those are all breakthrough positives. But OTOH they are not getting sick. At some point - and I'm not advocating it's now - preferably when the vax rate is higher or one of the therapeutics proves out, we are going to have to be OK with low severity spread in the vaccinated population. 

As a lot of people has already said, this one doesn't look like it's going to away, it's just going to get pushed down to  part of the background noise.

I just can’t believe that with our vax rate and now fourth wave that we haven’t reached a higher immunity.  We saw big jumps in the tri county area the last week. Like 25%.  Maybe that’s the final push?

2 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

I have a breakthrough infection and it has been pretty mild (barring any unlikely sudden changes). I think the delta variant is just so contagious that there will be no true herd immunity. That could have happened with the less virulent strains…not where we are now.

What prompted you to get tested?  Just curious. I wonder how many people get it and never get tested end just assume it’s allergies or whatever. 

I had been on cross country flights the week before, and don’t know if that was the infection point, but it did make me more alert to possibilities. I had a scratchy throat and aches/tiredness, congestion. Nothing bad or that unusual for me this time of year. My adult daughter has long covid (it truly sucks), I think that plays into my caution. Plus I’m old. Took a home test and should get the PCR results to verify soon.

My girlfriend was also on those flights and we were not isolated from each other before my episode. So far she has tested negative.

13 hours ago, oblong said:

We should benefit shortly as a lot of folks around here are starting to get eligible for the booster.  Early evidence points to that decreasing breakthrough cases.

I was somewhat surprised how a few folks on this site, in another thread, believe the lab leak theory is right up there with the "stolen" election, and landing on the moon conspiracy theories.

I'm not saying Covid was definitely leaked from the Wuhan lab.  I'm not saying Trump calling it the 'China' virus is evidence either.  If you think the lab link theory is a conspiracy theory, I just ask you to read this.  It's long and i'm not going to pick out and quote any specific parts.  There are some I thought about doing that with, but this article does give counter arguments and I didn't want to make it look like I was supporting one side over the other, even though there is one part that I hope folks catch.  

https://www.newyorker.com/science/elements/the-mysterious-case-of-the-covid-19-lab-leak-theory

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I was somewhat surprised how a few folks on this site, in another thread, believe the lab leak theory is right up there with the "stolen" election, and landing on the moon conspiracy theories.

I'm not saying Covid was definitely leaked from the Wuhan lab.  I'm not saying Trump calling it the 'China' virus is evidence either.  If you think the lab link theory is a conspiracy theory, I just ask you to read this.  It's long and i'm not going to pick out and quote any specific parts.  There are some I thought about doing that with, but this article does give counter arguments and I didn't want to make it look like I was supporting one side over the other, even though there is one part that I hope folks catch.  

https://www.newyorker.com/science/elements/the-mysterious-case-of-the-covid-19-lab-leak-theory

I don't know how you can read this article carefully and think it does anything to actually support the lab leak theory. It shoots down as many aspects of the theory as it raises. I would also note that this article leads with with Andersen bringing up the Furin site argument, which is exactly the one I cited earlier where people like David Baltimore initially took it as bioengineering evidence and have since abandoned that position in the face of evidence of wild viruses found with Furin cleavage sites. Also note that for all the ink spent on the Darpa proposal - the bottom line is that the work did not go forward. Also note that while the article opens with Andersen portrayed as having been an early lab leak proponent, by the end he is quoted saying :

"Alarmingly, their spikes are identical and bind with equal efficiency to human ace2 receptors. The discovery “completely blows away many of the main lab-leak arguments about Yunnan being special,” Andersen said. “These types of viruses are much more widespread than we initially realized"

The article also gives you a good reason why the Chinese are stonewalling - either conclusion is bad for Xi  - no conclusion is his best outcome. The best way to avoid a conclusion is don't let investigations go forward.

What we  can say is that there is a definite 'Wild West" aspect of scientific work in China. Strange as it is to say it given that politically China is a very locked down place, they do not have the kind of scientific bureaucratic controls and oversight we do so they may doing a lot of things that people should be worried about - but that in itself is not direct evidence in this case, and note that the ill-advised gain of research on influenza was done by a US researcher!

So at the end of the day and even this article, lab-leak is just one competing theory and by most lights, not a particularly likely one. As Andersen put it, Possible -Yes. Plausible? 

Edited by gehringer_2

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know how you can read this article carefully and think it does anything to actually support the lab leak theory.

I don't know how you can read this article and equate the lab leak theory to other debunked conspiracy theories, which is the only point I was trying to make.  

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I don't know how you can read this article and equate the lab leak theory to other debunked conspiracy theories, which is the only point I was trying to make.  

If that is the only point you are trying to make that is a fair enough point. OTOH, there is large space between 'debunked conspiracy theories" and scenarios that are unlikely enough that they should not be dominating our thinking on a given topic - which - until the evidence changes,  is where I would put the lab leak hypothesis.

Edited by gehringer_2