Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

6 hours ago, buddha said:

theyre about to lockdown in germany and austria again despite relatively high levels of vaccination.

are you ready for this continued cycle for the next five years?  ten?

That lockdown in Austria is only for unvaccinated people.  How will it be enforced?  Police will be authorized to stop you and ask you for proof of vaccination.  If you are unvaccinated, prove that your trip is essential.  Not sure if they will be wearing jackboots.

It would be Austria of course.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

That lockdown in Austria is only for unvaccinated people.  How will it be enforced?  Police will be authorized to stop you and ask you for proof of vaccination.  If you are unvaccinated, prove that your trip is essential.  Not sure if they will be wearing jackboots.

It would be Austria of course.

the lockdown is now for everyone. 

after that lockdown is over, they are going to do a lockdown for unvaccinated people in conjunction with a national vaccine mandate.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/19/europe/austria-national-lockdown-intl/index.html

Edited by buddha

8 hours ago, buddha said:

theyre about to lockdown in germany and austria again despite relatively high levels of vaccination.

are you ready for this continued cycle for the next five years?  ten?

I really think we are done with lockdowns in this country... even if it were justified, I don't see nearly the political will to do it in great swaths of the country.

46 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I really think we are done with lockdowns in this country... even if it were justified, I don't see nearly the political will to do it in great swaths of the country.

i agree.

although, i could see it in some blue states like cali.

Edited by buddha

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Until it mutates and kids start dying.

The stupidity of MAGA is just beyond my comprehension.

And that's not the actual language that I use to describe the MAGA-idiocy.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the lockdown is now for everyone. 

after that lockdown is over, they are going to do a lockdown for unvaccinated people in conjunction with a national vaccine mandate.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/19/europe/austria-national-lockdown-intl/index.html

Thanks I hadn't seen the update.

You know, this national vaccine mandate is really interesting.  I don't disagree with it, we are doing it with hospital staff here in Hamilton.  Shut your mouth and get the shot or lose your job, period.  I would like to see it extended to the whole population, but it won't be.  This is the first time in my life that I am enjoying being a fascist.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:45 PM, oblong said:

Funny but this year I have noticed at Tiger games it seems like a bit of a rougher crowd hanging around.  Some new places opened up over the last few years.  Just a scene of fast cars, loud club music, people waiting to get in and milling around the sidewalks.   And greektown is turning into a place you don’t want to go past 9 pm.  For my whole life until about 8 years ago that was pretty much the only place in the city you could go to.  Every weekend there’s something that goes down.  

https://cwbchicago.com/2021/11/men-raid-mag-mile-store-and-target-another-nearby-unfortunately-we-have-some-looting-going-on-south-side-alderman-says.html

right across the street from chicago theater.  suv rams a police car and they find an arsenal in the suv.

😉

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 10:28 PM, ewsieg said:

Where were you last fall?  I was the one advocating (because I legitimately thought it was the safe thing to do) and wondered why Whitmer wasn’t being more aggressive, either through a one time limited EO or through the health director.  To this day it’s not clear what side of which issue she fired the previous guy, so I’m not sure how that’s hypocritical.  I merely pointed out she’s already done it, after you made it sound like that’s a sleazy move and wondered if I thought before I wrote stuff down.  

You criticized me for being a hypocrite back than as well.  I still can’t believe she avoided criticism as a whole during the spike last fall/winter but she has cover from folks like you and the media lying about how it was all the GOP’s fault.  

It IS the GOP's fault. From last summer;

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-whitmer-stripped-emergency-powers

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Unfortunately, epidemics are not limited to 28 days," Whitmer said in a veto letter, according to MLive.com. "We should not so limit our ability to respond to them."

That’s a quote from Whitmer in the article you just posted.  You know why she said that?  Because she still has the same power as before, but any order will only last for 28 days.  So, if she feels we need a two week lock down, she could do that, actually she could do 4 weeks.  Additionally her health department can issue orders as well, and if they don’t want to do something Whitmer wants them to do, she can replace them with someone that will run the department the way she wants.

This is like my wife telling me not to use the instapot to make a roast and instead of using the oven, I just get everyone to tell her she’s preventing me from cooking dinner.  As the family gets hungry, I just remind them I’d love to do something about it, but it’s just out of my hands.  

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Unfortunately, epidemics are not limited to 28 days," Whitmer said in a veto letter, according to MLive.com. "We should not so limit our ability to respond to them."

That’s a quote from Whitmer in the article you just posted.  You know why she said that?  Because she still has the same power as before, but any order will only last for 28 days.  So, if she feels we need a two week lock down, she could do that, actually she could do 4 weeks.  Additionally her health department can issue orders as well, and if they don’t want to do something Whitmer wants them to do, she can replace them with someone that will run the department the way she wants.

This is like my wife telling me not to use the instapot to make a roast and instead of using the oven, I just get everyone to tell her she’s preventing me from cooking dinner.  As the family gets hungry, I just remind them I’d love to do something about it, but it’s just out of my hands.  

Ok

These anti-vaxxers are becoming a bigger and bigger part of today’s Republican Party, and they aren’t only against inoculation and mask wearing; they’re also against any kind of COVID restrictions whatsoever and the existence of vaccine passports. Never mind that the only way to stop the virus is to get people vaccinated; Republicans seem not to have made this connection. Instead, they have started treating this group as a protected class—recently, they have started pushing bills that would protect against discrimination toward unvaccinated people. The irony, of course, is that a lot of these Republicans have no problem with discrimination on the basis of race or sex; many of them have argued that there is no need for an Equal Rights Amendment. Yet they want to protect their constituents from a safe, effective, free vaccine that could save their lives from a highly preventable disease.

Until more people get vaccinated we will be in this perpetual ebb and flow.  Restrictions made sense as we were waiting for people to get their chance as it had to be rolled out and prioritized.  Last year cases began to go up around this time in Florida , Texas and Georgia. So far they haven’t. That’s a good sign. The NE has to go thru what the south did in the late summer I guess 

7 hours ago, oblong said:

Until more people get vaccinated we will be in this perpetual ebb and flow.  Restrictions made sense as we were waiting for people to get their chance as it had to be rolled out and prioritized.  Last year cases began to go up around this time in Florida , Texas and Georgia. So far they haven’t. That’s a good sign. The NE has to go thru what the south did in the late summer I guess 

The covid vaccine should be mandatory, nationwide, for children in school by a certain age.

21 hours ago, oblong said:

I like to agree with is but how do we explain these highly vaxxed Euro Countries now seeing waves of new infections?

18 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I like to agree with is but how do we explain these highly vaxxed Euro Countries now seeing waves of new infections?

They are unvaccinated and had tighter restrictions and better compliance than we did.  Their delta waves didnt get a chance to percolate.

Once people are out and about and gathering indoors like we saw in the south this summer when it was hot and now in the midwest and NE this winter the delta variant is going to attack the unvaxxed and there will also be breakthrough cases.

The German healthguy said by the end of Winter every German will be either vaccinated, recovered, or dead.

Anyway.... this is a theory.  At some point everyone will be exposed to the virus and they'll not get it because of vaccination/immunity or they will get it.  I'm still not clear on whether a vaccinated person who is exposed and it's "blocked" means it will always be blocked..... like did something trigger a response that shows it will always work or is it Russian Roulette?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, oblong said:

They are unvaccinated and had tighter restrictions and better compliance than we did.  Their delta waves didnt get a chance to percolate.

Once people are out and about and gathering indoors like we saw in the south this summer when it was hot and now in the midwest and NE this winter the delta variant is going to attack the unvaxxed and there will also be breakthrough cases.

The German healthguy said by the end of Winter every German will be either vaccinated, recovered, or dead.

Anyway.... this is a theory.  At some point everyone will be exposed to the virus and they'll not get it because of vaccination/immunity or they will get it.  I'm still not clear on whether a vaccinated person who is exposed and it's "blocked" means it will always be blocked..... like did something trigger a response that shows it will always work or is it Russian Roulette?

It wouldn't surprise me if we end up needing a booster once a year or so.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

The vaccines are not 100%. There are different vaccines in use world wide with different levels of effectiveness, what some German health guy says is irrelevant. The vaccine is only effective for 6 months. There is probably going to be increased variants but unless its better at spreading than Delta it won't be dominate. 

I wish I could work that dashboard.  I’m an idiot with that stuff. 

wife’s hospital is 15 patients from its winter peak.  Keep in mind the count went up 12 from Sunday to today. 

what gets me is the logic of “well the vaccines don’t work 100% so why bother?”