Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

There is no solution until more people choose to get vaccinated and boosted.  

doing the masks was helpful as we waited for everyone to get a vaccine. Supply. Prioritization. Eligibility.  Those are all non factors now. Are we backsliding even?  When does fully vaxxed mean 3 shots?  

I don't think it motivated people to get vaccinated when they were still required to wear masks in some situations, mainly work.  I know Disney and some other companies required employees to vaccinate and after they were they were still required to wear masks. Two main reasons for the vaccination is to avoid the virus and to stop masking.  I'm not anti-mask (even though I hate wearing it) but if the message was get vaccinated and no more mask, it might of helped more than anything.

20 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's the first time I've heard that one of the 2 main goals of vaccination was to stop masking immediately.  I don't know of anywhere in the world that allowed vaccinated people to stop wearing masks.

I don't know anyone that likes wearing the mask and if you are in a hot environment its even worse.  Pretty much everyone I know have hoped that after they got the vaccination they would no longer have to wear a mask.   Most people don't wear it now anyway unless its required by their employment.  I went to the bank last week and they had a big sign on the door that said mask required.  I didn't think anything of it, got a mask out of my pocket and put it on.  While I'm waiting at the teller window, I look around and every other customer in the bank -about 10-12 people- were not wearing a mask.  I figure if the bank employees are wearing a mask its respectful to do the same if its posted on the door. 

3 hours ago, Archie said:

I don't think it motivated people to get vaccinated when they were still required to wear masks in some situations, mainly work.  I know Disney and some other companies required employees to vaccinate and after they were they were still required to wear masks. Two main reasons for the vaccination is to avoid the virus and to stop masking.  I'm not anti-mask (even though I hate wearing it) but if the message was get vaccinated and no more mask, it might of helped more than anything.

That wasn't the point of the vaccines. It was to avoid hospitalization and death. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's the first time I've heard that one of the 2 main goals of vaccination was to stop masking immediately.  I don't know of anywhere in the world that allowed vaccinated people to stop wearing masks.

It's made up whole cloth.   The main PUBLISHED reasons for the Vx were to fight hospitalization and deaths.

Masks don't bother me at all.   I've done the most strenuous activity I've ever done, repeatedly, masked.   

I plan to wear one for quite a while.   I hope some TuckerTrumper confronts me about it.  While they cry about mask tyranny I'm getting credentialed in fighting so I'm confident we can come to a resolution I'll be OK with.

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Masks are not fun when you wear glasses.  

yeah - it is tough to get a good enough fit to stop fogging. Since my wife makes ours, she's been able to customize the design until we got something that I liked. I go with a tie back mask and that allows the top of mask to be kept snugger. That and an aluminum nose bridge are enough to keep it snug enough that I don't fog my safety glasses, which I have to have on when in the student lab. Takes longer to put on and take off, but I find that's the solution that works for me.

A lot people at the U like the 'duck bill' N95s. They also seem to give a low leak fit across the top to prevent fogging.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, Archie said:

I don't know anyone that likes wearing the mask and if you are in a hot environment its even worse.  Pretty much everyone I know have hoped that after they got the vaccination they would no longer have to wear a mask.   Most people don't wear it now anyway unless its required by their employment.  I went to the bank last week and they had a big sign on the door that said mask required.  I didn't think anything of it, got a mask out of my pocket and put it on.  While I'm waiting at the teller window, I look around and every other customer in the bank -about 10-12 people- were not wearing a mask.  I figure if the bank employees are wearing a mask its respectful to do the same if its posted on the door. 

Well, look no further for the reason why your daily cases and deaths are completely out of control.  You need masking, and social distancing, in every indoor setting, with 100% compliance.  

There's a new variant of Covid discovered in South Africa.  This South Africa variant could be the worst yet from initial reports, much worse than the Delta (India) variant.  Because of that, several countries have blocked travel to and from South Africa, but not the US.  The great Fauci says we will need to study it more before a decision is made.  Why not take the precaution now and block travel?  If its later proven travel to and from South Africa isn't an issue it can be opened back up. Are they really trying to stop Covid like Biden promised? 

1 hour ago, Archie said:

There's a new variant of Covid discovered in South Africa.  This South Africa variant could be the worst yet from initial reports, much worse than the Delta (India) variant.  Because of that, several countries have blocked travel to and from South Africa, but not the US.  The great Fauci says we will need to study it more before a decision is made.  Why not take the precaution now and block travel?  If its later proven travel to and from South Africa isn't an issue it can be opened back up. Are they really trying to stop Covid like Biden promised? 

good article here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-03552-w

Not a lot nailed down yet.

19 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

we allowed vaccinated people to stop wearing masks in chicago for a little while.  then the numbers picked up and they put the mask mandate (when indoors) in place again.

31 minutes ago, pfife said:

Travel restrictions from South Africa and 7 other nations begin Monday.

U.S. to restrict travel from South Africa and other countries as it assesses risks of new omicron variant

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/11/26/biden-south-africa-variant/

HaHa. So  according to the Nature article the variant was going to be NU - as in the 13th letter of the Greek Alphabet but it's already been relabeled in this story as Omicon, skipping the Greek letters NU and XI. I guess 'NU virus or Xi virus were going to be politically unacceptable! I can understand 'NU/New' virus was going to be too messy to deal with, but I bet Trump would have jumped at the chance to call it "Xi". :classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's weird you said for "enacted similar purposes".  I've looked at two articles from the date of Jan 31, 2020 (as Biden's tweet from 2/1/2020 says he did it yesterday).   Interestingly, neither one mention the ban being because of Coronavirus.  Which of course makes sense because that was before 'rona blew up.

So they didn't actually ban for similar purposes, like you said.   Trump didn't do his ban to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Here's politico, no mention of coronavirus as the reason for the ban:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/31/trump-administration-expands-travel-ban-110005

But the Trump administration cited security concerns, saying each of the six countries displayed an “unwillingness or inability” to adhere to “baseline” security criteria. It cited insufficient information sharing from the countries’ governments about criminal and terrorism data, a lack of electronic passport systems and issues with Interpol reporting methods.

"President Trump’s security and travel proclamations have immeasurably improved our national security, substantially raised the global standard for information-sharing, and dramatically strengthened the integrity of the United States’ immigration system," White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grishan said in a statement. "The orders have been a tremendous and vital success."

Nope.  Not corona. 

So many conservative lies in this forum.

Edited by pfife

Oh, look at this.   It happened not to stop the spread of  coronavirus, but.... 

An official said the new measures were the result of failures by the six countries to meet US security and information-sharing standards.

"These countries, for the most part, want to be helpful but for a variety of different reasons simply failed to meet those minimum requirements that we laid out," acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf told reporters on Friday.

He said officials would work with the countries on bolstering their security requirements to help them get off the list.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51335011

7 minutes ago, pfife said:

It's weird you said for "enacted similar purposes".  I've looked at two articles from the date of Jan 31, 2020 (as Biden's tweet from 2/1/20w0 says he did it yesterday).   Interestingly, neither one mention the ban being because of Coronavirusm.  Which of course makes sense because that was before 'rona blew up.

So they didn't actually ban for similar purposes, like you said.   Trump didn't do his ban to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Yes, that is correct. Nothing to do with Covid.