Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

Revised Data for Florida from the NPR Link I Shared Yesterday

The Florida numbers were misrepresented and underreported on the graph that NPR had published that I shared yesterday. It appears to me that Governor Covid, Ron DeSantis, and his administration are fudging the death count from Covid in Florida to make it seem lower than it appears.

33 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Revised Data for Florida from the NPR Link I Shared Yesterday

The Florida numbers were misrepresented and underreported on the graph that NPR had published that I shared yesterday. It appears to me that Governor Covid, Ron DeSantis, and his administration are fudging the death count from Covid in Florida to make it seem lower than it appears.

Be careful, you don't want to be the first target if his personal militia.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah but can you walk in downtown Windsor with an AR-15 over your shoulder? Think about that. You may need it even though the murder rate across the river is about 40 times higher. 

You're right, look at the tyranny that Canadians have to live under because they have universal healthcare instead of AR-15's and Glock 9's. 

22 minutes ago, pfife said:

That's hard to believe Tater

I thought so too. Why would someone has honest and ethical as the day is long like Ron DeSantis manipulate covid data. It couldn't be because he wants those tourist dollars to keep pouring on in so he's placing dollars ahead of deaths?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

LOL - From 1976:

“Tests made over a 12‐year period proved that people who gargled with Listerine full strength twice a day, every day, had fewer colds and milder colds than those who did not.”

That statement and others like it have been used for years by the makers of nonprescription drugs in an attempt to persuade consumers that scientific evidence supports their advertising claims. Rarely, however, are the details of the cited research ever made public, even through scientific journals, so that the adequacy of the research methods can be evaluated.

Now, however, with the recent ruling by the Federal Trade Commission that Listerine's future advertising must deny past claims that it can prevent and cure the common cold, the F.T.C. ha § released documents describing the research in detail.

After asking a number of eminent scientists to evaluate the research, the commission decided that the experiments were designed in such a way that they permitted biased results in favor of Listerine.

Research Stopped

Nevertheless, the commission found that one of Listerine's two tests involving humans failed to support advertising claims. Instead of fully withdrawing the claim, the research was stopped.

The scientific weakness of the Listerine research has called into question the validity and objectivity of research supporting claims not only for other products of the WarnerLambert Company, Listerine's manufacturer, but also for a variety of other makers' drugs' advertised to the public and sold without prescription.

In response to the F.T.C. ruling, Warner‐Lambert officials said they stood by the validity of their research and planned to fight their case to the Supreme Court, if necessary.

https://www.nytimes.com/1976/01/04/archives/ftc-disputes-validity-of-research-on-listerine.html

On 12/7/2021 at 12:56 AM, Jim Cowan said:

Yes that's it exactly.  The vast majority of residents of G20 countries would say exactly the same thing, word for word. They would not be very interested in relocating to any of the other G20 countries, even if language were not a barrier.  The country that they currently live in, its flaws notwithstanding, meets their needs unless they are at the lower end of the socioeconomic scale.  

I have never looked, but I think Immigration numbers is a good sign of how good a country is or is not...also the # of people who leave a country voluntarily every year.  You would have to weight it based on countries that bordered extremely poverty stricken countries though...like us with Mexico.

To me that would be the only # that could truly show which countries are best...I also have no idea if this is true or not, but I have heard some of those REALLY great countries to live in are VERY difficult if not impossible to become a citizen of...that would also have to factor in to the equation.

43 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I have never looked, but I think Immigration numbers is a good sign of how good a country is or is not...also the # of people who leave a country voluntarily every year.  You would have to weight it based on countries that bordered extremely poverty stricken countries though...like us with Mexico.

To me that would be the only # that could truly show which countries are best...I also have no idea if this is true or not, but I have heard some of those REALLY great countries to live in are VERY difficult if not impossible to become a citizen of...that would also have to factor in to the equation.

When I was young, I remember still seeing still immigrants coming to the USA from Western Europe and Scandanavia. You don't see may resident Euros in the US any more other than people on transfer by multi-nationals.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I work in finance, which is somewhat related to business.  I am getting my booster later today and will continue to follow the masking policy at work.

the evidence conclusively shows you're wrong just ask the senator, sorry.   

2 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

yeah you'd need to control for immigration policies.

Also I wonder if there's a meaningful distinction between "how good a country is" and "how good a country is compared to where I'm currently at" and "how good a country is compared to how they're marketed" etc

1 hour ago, pfife said:

the evidence conclusively shows you're wrong just ask the senator, sorry.   

One would think that if the mouthwash thing were true, the mouthwash company would put that on the bottle in some might big font.

But just in case, despite using mouthwash every morning, I'm going to go ahead and listen the medical experts and get the booster.  Maybe I'll chug some Listerine at the same time.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

One would think that if the mouthwash thing were true, the mouthwash company would put that on the bottle in some might big font.

But just in case, despite using mouthwash every morning, I'm going to go ahead and listen the medical experts and get the booster.  Maybe I'll chug some Listerine at the same time.

No you are suppose inject Listerine, or was that Lysol? 🤔

21 hours ago, pfife said:

yeah you'd need to control for immigration policies.

Also I wonder if there's a meaningful distinction between "how good a country is" and "how good a country is compared to where I'm currently at" and "how good a country is compared to how they're marketed" etc

Everyone is usually looking to improve their station in life, generally speaking.  But for those who are already comfortable it does not make a ton of sense to change countries unless you have strong opinions about the country you are in and can at least make a lateral move (greatness wise).  All things considered I have always, and still think, the USA is pretty great.  

One thing I always take into account is the number of people living here and how large we are.  Trying to make the basic quality of life good or at least not poverty level for a country as big as us, bordering a poor country with not super strict immigration laws (at least not compared to some of the other "great" countries around the world) is no easy task.

On 12/9/2021 at 7:04 AM, Motown Bombers said:

My dentist makes you rinse with mouthwash before you get in his chair.  The mouthwash he uses apparently kills germs in your mouth to help prevent the spread of the virus.  I don't know what kind of mouthwash he uses but it tastes like 92 octane.