Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

3 hours ago, Archie said:

My dentist makes you rinse with mouthwash before you get in his chair.  The mouthwash he uses apparently kills germs in your mouth to help prevent the spread of the virus.  I don't know what kind of mouthwash he uses but it tastes like 92 octane. 

Mine, too! ( I was there yesterday)

*another agreement… wth is happening 

• Like 1

My wife and I get into arguments over mouthwash. I like that 92 octane shit. I know if works. I don’t want cool mint this or that. I don’t want flavor. I want my mouth to burn because I know it’s doing something. Same with soap.  I don’t need soap that makes my hand smell like French vanilla pudding.  Give me lava. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

My wife and I get into arguments over mouthwash. I like that 92 octane shit. I know if works. I don’t want cool mint this or that. I don’t want flavor. I want my mouth to burn because I know it’s doing something. Same with soap.  I don’t need soap that makes my hand smell like French vanilla pudding.  Give me lava. 

you know you could just gargle a 1/2 ounce of Tanqueray and get the best of both worlds.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

you know you could just gargle a 1/2 ounce of Tanqueray and get the best of both worlds.....

You know… I’m working from home so… why not?  Not like anyones going to smell it.  Harry Truma started his day with a brisk walk at military pace and 2 eggs and a shot of bourbon.  He lived to be an old man. 

14 hours ago, oblong said:

Most important thing is fluoride. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Washtenaw County is exploding with 'Rona.     2 weeks after the Michigan-Ohio State game.............interesting. 

actually, not so much. The big increases in cases in Wash county have been in 48197 and 48198.

https://www.washtenaw.org/3108/Cases

Those are Ypsi addresses and not areas with a lot of UM alums. There was some effect in the student population (see below) and some in 48103, which would more likely have been the game, but mostly the blowup is in low vax areas. If there is a football effect, it should also show up strongly in Oakland county - that is where all the alums are driving in from. When a student brought B117 to A^2 it went right from Washtenaw to Oakland with the students that go back and forth.

2032690751_ScreenShot2021-12-12at23_16_04.thumb.png.ba82757ff312387a757e1440e0e1faf2.png

Edited by gehringer_2

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/us-coronavirus-deaths-by-state-july-1.html

I know some are going to talk about different stats, but according to this, we're back up to #2.  How many pages of this and the motownsports page were filled with anti-Texas / anti-Florida memes/comments talking about how horrible their governors were for advocating for the vaccine, but telling people they had their own choice and fighting to ensure they had that choice, vs our governor that advocated for the vaccine and said that people maybe shouldn't have the right to not get it.  So for those trying to understand the difference, one thinks you should get it, but thinks it should be your own choice.  Whereas the other thinks you should get it, but isn't going to do much to ensure that you do in fact get it.

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/us-coronavirus-deaths-by-state-july-1.html

I know some are going to talk about different stats, but according to this, we're back up to #2.  How many pages of this and the motownsports page were filled with anti-Texas / anti-Florida memes/comments talking about how horrible their governors were for advocating for the vaccine, but telling people they had their own choice and fighting to ensure they had that choice, vs our governor that advocated for the vaccine and said that people maybe shouldn't have the right to not get it.  So for those trying to understand the difference, one thinks you should get it, but thinks it should be your own choice.  Whereas the other thinks you should get it, but isn't going to do much to ensure that you do in fact get it.

are you a vaccine choice person?  if so, is the basis for that belief that covid simply isnt that serious because of the high recovery rate? 

3 hours ago, buddha said:

are you a vaccine choice person?

Yes, but I'd argue most people are.  I think people should have a choice and outside of the very few examples where a legitimate doctor says they shouldn't get it, I think people are stupid not to get it.  People that make the choice not to get vaccinated must realize and accept the consequences as well.  Examples could be losing employment, or allowing health care providers to not cover hospitalization costs.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

if so, is the basis for that belief that covid simply isnt that serious because of the high recovery rate? 

I've always felt it was serious even though it does have a high recovery rate.  It can have a high recovery rate and still be much more deadly than the flu, both can be true.  

Overall i've agreed with the democratic response over the republican response on this virus, but I don't like the feeling that only one side is right and the other is wrong.  Rather this is a seasonal virus or not, so far it's shown that pattern, and like clockwork when the South is showing high numbers, the media  (and this board) talk about how republican leadership has blood on their hands.  But when it happens in the North/NorthEast, just blame the unvaccinated (even though vaccination rates are much closer than most realize.  Granted, some of the policies being advocated by the GOP are wrong, i'm not arguing that they are better.  But IMO, don't complain about the unvaccinated when you have control of the government and no real steps are being made to get these vaccines out to everyone.  The WHO is endorsing efforts by scientists in other countries as they try and reverse engineer some of the covid vaccines.  Anyone think that maybe it's time to tell Moderna and Pfizer it's time to publicly provide the instructions on how to make the vaccine? Yes they made it, but in large part to decades long public support on researching MRNA.   

Meanwhile, as numbers spiked even higher in the last few weeks, the long term care / rehab center my brother works at were instructed by the state that they could no longer provide any limitations on guests.  Can't even require masks.  Great timing!   But hey, he's in Michigan so he should just trust the government as they follow science, amirite?  

He was given equipment by the feds which would allow him to rapid test visitors and has repeatedly tried to get the state to allow him to do that.  Nope, not allowed.  But hey, both Whitmer and Hertel have been back out in the spotlight a bit more telling folks they need to get vaccinated and be smart, so all is good.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, smr-nj said:

Mine, too! ( I was there yesterday)

*another agreement… wth is happening 

Spoiler alert.  It doesn't.  It makes patients feel better and patients feel their dentist is looking out for them and being "safe".  No real clinical evidence that a pre rinse of hydrogen peroxide or chlorhexidine reduces the risk of coronavirus.  The reality is though that it was never dangerous to go to the dentist because of COVID.  No actual documented outbreaks linked to dental offices.  

8 hours ago, ewsieg said:

No doubt there has been an inversion of sorts. I would say it's because we have reached a point where COVID outcomes have shifted from being a matter of how well communities organized (and were pushed) to take control measures (distancing, closing schools etc) to the simpler issue of people getting vaccinated - and in MI - since it is a highly polarized state, vaccine resistance has been high. Through this latest surge, low vax areas have consistently led in case rates. The availability of the vaccine has naturally reduced the level of other control measures in place, and that had created a situation where the incidence in the unvaxxed population only goes up - all compounded by Delta being more infectious.  Then it becomes almost self sustaining as the high incident rates among the unvaxxed continually create 'reseeding'  pressure for breakthrough cases back into areas with higher vax rates.

I do fault the State gov for not trying harder with more pro vax propaganda. I understand that they believe the anti-vax crown is unreachable, but I find that to be a bit of circular reasoning. Why are they unreachable? Because they have been propagandized! So it seems to me a case where you should be fighting fire with fire. It's already established that anti-vaxxers are reachable via media inputs. I would have liked to see the State do more to pull out all the stops with its inner Joseph Goebbels. It would have been worth a shot. And the fact is, at least some of those people were reachable because vax rates in MI have finally started to increase again with this latest surge. 

Edited by gehringer_2

When you look at the polling on who is vaccinated and not and who will never get vaccinated it's very clear there is a partisan divide and the political leaders for each party own that.  It's not an accident.  One party has been very hands off with pushing vaccines.  With a few exceptions GOP leaders say "People should get vaccinated but...." then they throw in caveats and disclaimers.  Fuck that.

And for as bad as things are in MI now they are not as bad as it got in the south in the late summer.

9 hours ago, ewsieg said:

DeSantis was actively punishing school districts and businesses who imposed a vaccine mandate. he was withholding funding for school districts who imposed a mandate. He wasn't advocating a vaccine and Florida's peak was still worse. Florida had twice as many cases per 100k as Michigan does now. 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

When you look at the polling on who is vaccinated and not and who will never get vaccinated it's very clear there is a partisan divide and the political leaders for each party own that.  It's not an accident.  One party has been very hands off with pushing vaccines.  With a few exceptions GOP leaders say "People should get vaccinated but...." then they throw in caveats and disclaimers.  Fuck that.

There was a political divide before the vaccine even came out with multiple democrats stating they would be reluctant to take a vaccine that came out under Trump.  With the fact that democrats are the more reasonable party at this time, I do wonder if Trump actually won, does the GOP push the vaccine and the Dems fall right in line and overall are vaccination rates are much higher?

2 hours ago, oblong said:

And for as bad as things are in MI now they are not as bad as it got in the south in the late summer.

I guess we'll see.  The peak doesn't seem as high, but we seem to be more sustained than we have ever been in the past.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

DeSantis was actively punishing school districts and businesses who imposed a vaccine mandate. he was withholding funding for school districts who imposed a mandate. He wasn't advocating a vaccine and Florida's peak was still worse. Florida had twice as many cases per 100k as Michigan does now. 

Yup, DeSantis is an idiot with some of the things he's done, but 1) he was absolutely advocating the vaccine and put State resources into various campaigns as well as early on targeting communities that had an older population (regardless of demographics despite media reports) and 2) Florida had more, but not twice as much, doing the math, Florida peak was about 114 per 100k, last week Michigan hit 88 per 100k.   In terms of deaths, looks like .2887616% of the population died in Florida vs .2691498% here.  Florida deaths are coming down and positivity rates are near the bottom of the nation.  Michigan still is sitting around 15% positivity rate and death counts are climbing.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I think it's interesting that folks think that being the same as Michigan is a success for florida.   Florida is/was position to do way better than Michigan and it seems bad that they're the same.

There is a point that Florida had a few months lead in terms of medical knowledge, but if medical knowledge was that big of a factor, how come it's not just Florida, but just about every state experiencing recent spikes seeing some of the their highest numbers ever?

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Isn't it funny how guys like DeSantis are all FREE MARKET and then want to punish private businesses for making a decision for their own company that he doesn't like?        My body My Choice (unless you're a woman or gay or trans)