Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

Almost 24hrs since the booster and I have to say this is definitely the worst of the 3. Nothing crazy as of yet but my arm is definitely more sore than the previous 2 and it started earlier than those. 

One of my coworkers said he felt under the weather for a few days after so I suppose as of now Ive gotten off kinda easy. *knock on wood*

I got my Pfizer booster last Tuesday and had chills, body aches and a fever over the weekend. I was fine up until then, just very mild soreness in my arm. I may just have the seasonal flu, although I had that shot too.

I went to a drive through test site Tuesday and haven't received the results yet.

36 minutes ago, oblong said:

Maybe Omicron is what hit Michigan the last month.  I don't know if we test for it.

yes - the state labs have been doing sequencing to track the new strains - first detection of Omicron in MI was 12/9

https://www.wilx.com/2021/11/30/michigan-state-health-officials-testing-omicron-variant/

https://www.freep.com/story/news/health/2021/12/09/omicron-covid-variant-first-michigan-case-detected-kent-county/8889733002/

UM also does sequencing in it's surveillance which is where B117 (now known as alpha) was detected.

Edited by gehringer_2

Annual* (except last year) extended family gathering is in Michigan this weekend. I'm flying up. About 70% of the attendees live in Michigan... I'd say about 15 adults and 5 kids under 3.

We haven't thought twice about it. All the adults are vaccinated, and presumably boosted.

• Like 1

Just as an aside, we will be heading over to SW Va for the weekend. The annual dinner won't be held. Part of the decision was my son and grandson were still planning to be there. They're driving in from Michigan for the weekend and don't want to forfeit prepaid hotel rooms. It also gives my 10 year old grandson a chance to bond a bit with cousins.

I think everyone is good with the smaller gatherings. The big gathering with 20 plus people was just too much.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Annual* (except last year) extended family gathering is in Michigan this weekend. I'm flying up. About 70% of the attendees live in Michigan... I'd say about 15 adults and 5 kids under 3.

We haven't thought twice about it. All the adults are vaccinated, and presumably boosted.

we've had a bunch of family gatherings.  

in the beginning we were concerned about it, but once the evidence got less convoluted we were ok meeting with family.  since then we've had the granparents and great grandparents over many many times with no issues.  everyone is vaxed and boosted now, i'm not worried at all. 

• Thanks 1

To be honest, as an introvert, I haven't minded playing the Covid card as an excuse to avoid large family gatherings, Holiday parties, work meetings, weddings, showers, asshole Trumper anti vaxxers, etc.  It's also been great for my OCD germophobia.  Not sure if I'll ever return from the dark side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kacie said:

To be honest, as an introvert, I haven't minded playing the Covid card as an excuse to avoid large family gatherings, Holiday parties, work meetings, weddings, showers, asshole Trumper anti vaxxers, etc.  It's also been great for my OCD germophobia.  Not sure if I'll ever return from the dark side.

Ha ha it does have its convenient aspects.

Ontario new cases are 1,600 per day now, doubled in less than 2 weeks.  Every province has experienced a big upturn, and every province will be reintroducing restrictions such as on large events.  Every province except Alberta which is a low-IQ zone.

The college that I work at was going to go back to live classrooms on January 5, but today they announced that it will stay remote for all of January.

I am eligible for a booster on Monday, but getting an appointment might take some time.

2 hours ago, Kacie said:

Same here!

Massachusetts has spiked recently after doing so well for months.  I don't worry about myself or younger relatives at large family gatherings, but I still worry about my parents.  Any kind of illness will put them in danger at this point in their lives.  They are better off with small gatherings now anyway. 

22 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

MI cases seem to have started back down on what is a 4th surge but Omicron is just getting started so who knows what next month will look like.

Omicron has been described as a freight train bearing down on us, that might give us 10,000 cases per day in Ontario by the end of January.  As many as one-third of daily cases already.

32 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

... but I still worry about my parents.  Any kind of illness will put them in danger at this point in their lives. 

People are saying that Omicron does not cause serious illness among vaccinated people but I guarantee that it would kill my wife in less than 1 month.

38 minutes ago, oblong said:

a thing I saw yesterday was that studies are pointing towards omicron stays bronchal and doesn't go to the lungs... which is why it's showing to not be as severe.  It was medical mumbo jumbo but that's what I got from it.

This is in vitro work, which is valuable as preliminary data, but how any particular in vitro will translate into in vivo is always a question. This is moving so fast that we will probably have epid survey data a lot faster than we'd like to.

We're going to have a family reunion in the Smoky Mountains, Tennessee last week in July. We haven't had a reunion in over 10 years...

We're a bit of a Michigander Diaspora. Searching for jobs and we ended up in: Florida, California, Texas, Colorado, Michigan, New Jersey, Tennessee, England (my sister has lived outside of London for over 25 years...), maybe some other states with the great grandkids but I've lost track.

Tennessee is roughly in the middle for everyone.

Between Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and kids... I think we have roughly 100 coming in...

Grandma & Grandpa had 9 kids which got us off to a nice little start on that...

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

We're going to have a family reunion in the Smoky Mountains, Tennessee last week in July. We haven't had a reunion in over 10 years...

We're a bit of a Michigander Diaspora. Searching for jobs and we ended up in: Florida, California, Texas, Colorado, Michigan, New Jersey, Tennessee, England (my sister has lived outside of London for over 25 years...), maybe some other states with the great grandkids but I've lost track.

Tennessee is roughly in the middle for everyone.

Between Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and kids... I think we have roughly 100 coming in...

Grandma & Grandpa had 9 kids which got us off to a nice little start on that...

We did that in 2016 on my wife's side of the family.  One thing that made it difficult was the hills in the area.  Even being contained in the resort we had it was still hard for the older folks to get around.  Going from one cabin/room to another required stairs and going up or down a hill. 

We were about halfway between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.  Gatlinburg was a mess.  Finding parking was an ordeal and a 2 mile drive back took like 30-40 minutes.  

4 hours ago, oblong said:

a thing I saw yesterday was that studies are pointing towards omicron stays bronchal and doesn't go to the lungs... which is why it's showing to not be as severe.  It was medical mumbo jumbo but that's what I got from it.

Is the theory that the person that started this may have had a common cold at the same time still possible?  I remember a few weeks reading that, it apparently helps the virus evade the immune system better, but upside was less severe.

For our family, Christmas plans aren't being cancelled.  Grandma is in her 90's, but has the booster and in overall good health for her age.  In years past when my Dad was still around, I could see Mom and Dad staying home as even the flu was dangerous for him. 

I do know folks that the entire family is fully vaccinated, boosters and all, with no folks that would be considered 'at risk' and they are staying separate this holiday.  That I don't get. 

5 hours ago, oblong said:

... We were about halfway between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.  Gatlinburg was a mess.  Finding parking was an ordeal and a 2 mile drive back took like 30-40 minutes.  

That's why we opted out of a weekend like July 4th as that would indeed be a monstrous mess... we'll see about a later weekend... although July in the cool mountains might be a must see anyways...

We'll see about that first part... My stamina at the moment is a little less than zero... We'll see how my older aunts & uncles and Mom and Dad fare... My Mom has had foot, knee, back and hip surgeries so I don't think she'll have an easy time negotiating a lot of hills...