Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

On 12/14/2021 at 4:00 PM, pfife said:

Starting to see an increase in players getting pulled for whatever COVID restrictions and pro league games getting cancel cultured.   The jabronies on 97.1 were talking about maybe sports needs to stop testing vaccinated asymptomatic and let'em play, just like most normal workplaces don't test vaccinated asymptomatic.  

but of course that's the recipe for getting where we are right now which isn't good.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess Valenti and Rico. How close am I?

I’ve come to realize, with Pearl Harbor day last week, that our nation and world would not hold back and defeat a nazi threat today as we did 80 years ago. The response to the pandemic taught me that.   We’d have YouTube videos telling us Nazis aren’t that bad. “Very fine people” I think is the words. Just enough people would believe it to make our spineless politicians not have the will go make the tough decisions.  Rations? War effort?  Are you kidding?  For some foreigners?  What about the economy?  Nope. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I’ve come to realize, with Pearl Harbor day last week, that our nation and world would not hold back and defeat a nazi threat today as we did 80 years ago. The response to the pandemic taught me that.   We’d have YouTube videos telling us Nazis aren’t that bad. “Very fine people” I think is the words. Just enough people would believe it to make our spineless politicians not have the will go make the tough decisions.  Rations? War effort?  Are you kidding?  For some foreigners?  What about the economy?  Nope. 

pearl harbor was a false flag videos

Spent the early morning reading some things and it's a mix of doom and gloom and it'll be over quick.

The antibodies that prevent infection are diminished with Omicron.  It's also highly contagious.  Basically it's knocked us back a level of protection. If you had a prior infection and one dose, then take one of those away.  If no infection and 2 doses,then you are back to one dose, etc.   The thinking is it's going to sweep through and we'll all probably get it.  The fact our nation is so poor with at home rapid tests will make this worse.  South Africa is supposedly already seeing deep declines after 3 weeks.

Our nation doesn't sequence to the level other countries do and we are piss poor at at home testing.  I might buy some tests.  The responsible thing would be to test yourself twice a week if you are around others.

I’m super confused as well.  Covid hit 2 years ago as a deadly virus that we knew nothing about.  They had no idea how to treat it and doctors and scientists had to figure it out as they went.  

This is not the case with Omicron.    We have a heavily vaccinated population and a much better idea on treatment options.    The risk of death to people that weren’t already at risk due to age or prior condition is very minimal.   Dare I say, it is much like the flu for the majority of our population.     

Am I wrong  here?   We should take some precautions but I can’t imagine doing anything on the level of what we saw in 2020.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m super confused as well.  Covid hit 2 years ago as a deadly virus that we knew nothing about.  They had no idea how to treat it and doctors and scientists had to figure it out as they went.  

This is not the case with Omicron.    We have a heavily vaccinated population and a much better idea on treatment options.    The risk of death to people that weren’t already at risk due to age or prior condition is very minimal.   Dare I say, it is much like the flu for the majority of our population.     

Am I wrong  here?   We should take some precautions but I can’t imagine doing anything on the level of what we saw in 2020.  

Yeah I am there too. 

33 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Strictly speaking just for covid on an individual level, there's no reason to be that worried about you or your family.  But collectively it looks like it's going to crash things in our hospitals which are already at a breaking point.   The people that work there have been at this for 2 years.  They really cannot take much more.  I wish there was a way to make that point known to everyone.  They can't have cameras in there to show what it looks like to see a lot of people on ventilators and ECMO machines.  This is where we are now prior to Omicron.  Yes the data suggests it might not be as bad as previous waves but it's not a sure thing as we don't know enough about who it has hit.   The speed of Omicron is the dangerous part.  Given where our systems are now an exponential growth of cases, even at a lower severity, could put us back to field hospitals and parking garages, etc.  The next 3-4 weeks could be disruptive.  I'm anticipating some virtual things as more people test positive and have to quarantine, or just simply have a cold(covid) but are not tested but staying away.

I'm not saying I know what the answer is because I don't see how it's avoided at this point. If you've had your booster then you'll pretty much be fine.  But a lot of people didn't and even a small % impact of severity will put a big stress on our hospitals.

I'd avoid things that can lead to injury more than I would crowds.  You might not have any place to go.

Prior infection as a defense against Omicron is looking to be useless, as could be the J&J vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I'm anticipating some virtual things as more people test positive and have to quarantine, or just simply have a cold(covid) but are not tested but staying away.

and there is a nasty non-covid one (tested twice) going around that I'm just getting over. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

'd avoid things that can lead to injury more than I would crowds.  You might not have any place to go.

this.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

They can't have cameras in there to show what it looks like to see a lot of people on ventilators and ECMO machines. 

This is true, ECMO is the kiss of slow death with COVID. Since COVID started my wife said they have had maybe one or two people come off of it, the rest are dead or dying.....

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Strictly speaking just for covid on an individual level, there's no reason to be that worried about you or your family.  But collectively it looks like it's going to crash things in our hospitals which are already at a breaking point.   The people that work there have been at this for 2 years.  They really cannot take much more.  I wish there was a way to make that point known to everyone.  They can't have cameras in there to show what it looks like to see a lot of people on ventilators and ECMO machines.  This is where we are now prior to Omicron.  Yes the data suggests it might not be as bad as previous waves but it's not a sure thing as we don't know enough about who it has hit.   The speed of Omicron is the dangerous part.  Given where our systems are now an exponential growth of cases, even at a lower severity, could put us back to field hospitals and parking garages, etc.  The next 3-4 weeks could be disruptive.  I'm anticipating some virtual things as more people test positive and have to quarantine, or just simply have a cold(covid) but are not tested but staying away.

I'm not saying I know what the answer is because I don't see how it's avoided at this point. If you've had your booster then you'll pretty much be fine.  But a lot of people didn't and even a small % impact of severity will put a big stress on our hospitals.

I'd avoid things that can lead to injury more than I would crowds.  You might not have any place to go.

Prior infection as a defense against Omicron is looking to be useless, as could be the J&J vaccine.

The part a lot of people don't understand about "personal choice/freedom" is how the results of those choices/freedoms can affect others.  Hospital overcrowding has been a known possibility for a long time.  How many COVID patients are eligible to be vaccinated but aren't?

Oh, and speaking of hospital overcrowding...

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - Ohio Governor Mike DeWine has ordered 1,050 members of the Ohio National Guard to fill needed positions in the state’s hospitals.

Of the total mobilized guard members, approximately 150 will deploy to help meet critical needs at hospitals and testing locations.

The remaining 900 guard members will help with patient transport, housekeeping, and food services.

Guard members will be brought on duty beginning on Monday.

DeWine said there is no timeline to when the National Guard members will leave state hospitals.

“We will keep them in there as long as they’re needed,” he said.

Ohio is also working with a healthcare staffing company to bring in qualified nurses and other medical personnel from out of state.

The governor says early in the pandemic the concern was about space and beds but today the concern is personnel.

“Twenty-two months of this pandemic has taken its toll on our healthcare workers and that’s certainly understandable,” he said. “We cannot thank them enough. 22 months they have fought this war and I want to thank them and thank them again. We are very grateful.”

At this time, the governor said Ohio has the highest number of COVID-19 patients since Dec. 2, 2020, with more than 4,700 that are currently hospitalized.

“Omicron is here and it is spreading fast and we are expected to have a regular flu season this year. These are a few reasons for this high level of concern,” DeWine said.

DeWine is recommending for the next four weeks or so that schools continue or begin masking.

The press conference comes one day after DeWine announced that he and his wife were exposed to COVID-19 Monday evening after a staffer tested positive.

I think by now most people have made their vaccination choice.  If hospitals get overcrowded, the unvaxxed COVIDs can be sent home.  Piss on 'em.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

The part a lot of people don't understand about "personal choice/freedom" is how the results of those choices/freedoms can affect others.  Hospital overcrowding has been a known possibility for a long time.  How many COVID patients are eligible to be vaccinated but aren't?

Oh, and speaking of hospital overcrowding...

I think by now most people have made their vaccination choice.  If hospitals get overcrowded, the unvaxxed COVIDs can be sent home.  Piss on 'em.

Yes. I fault no vaccinated people for getting on with their lives to some degree, although I think some that I know, are overdoing it.... like hosting 6 parties in his new house over the next few weeks for various groups of people in their life.

We can't delay the inevitable but it could have gone a lot better than it will if more people had gotten the vaccine.

Flu season is another great point as a challenge since they didn't get a great sample for our shots this year due to there not really being a flu season to base it on.

First Omicron case has been identified in a UMich student in Ann Arbor.

If Omicron turns out to spread even faster than Delta and results in more vaccinated people shedding virus there doesn't seem to be much chance cases won't be going back up again. The tragic part will be that even if on average it doesn't make people sicker, the higher incidence is going to mean some people that did everything right and got vaccinated and boosted are going to get sick because they are in the few percent that didn't respond enough to the vaccine.