Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

The vaccine would be the end all of COVID, if everyone would take it as seriously as they took the polio shot, which did end up being the end all. Instead, as you say, COVID will be here for a long time because instead of doing their part to help eradicate it, too many people are willing to accept millions of somebody elses dying from it every year.

One of the bigger problems is that Covid has become political.  That's the worst thing that could have happened.  Covid infects people of all political beliefs without discrimination.  I also understand how people can have reservations about a vaccine that was developed in a short amount of time.  Those people should be discussing their concerns with their doctor and not a politician.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Will the variants just get milder over time? The mild ones would seem to be the ones that have a better chance of surviving and mutating. Is that what happened to the flu after 1918?

No way to predict that. Mutation is fundamentally a random process. It’s true that a bug that kills its host too efficiently won’t be able to keep spreading very well, but the morality rates for all the Covid variants are low enough that probably doesn’t figure much into their survival probability. So far that has been mostly a matter of the other side of the coin— their infectivity. 

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

No way to predict that. Mutation is fundamentally a random process. It’s true that a bug that kills its host too efficiently won’t be able to keep spreading very well, but the morality rates for all the Covid variants are low enough that probably doesn’t figure much into their survival probability. So far that has been mostly a matter of the other side of the coin— their infectivity. 

Morality rates?  Let's keep religion out of this discussion.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Ironically 

“ignore” functions like a vaccine 

This site is just a few months old, so the ignore function is unproven.  I heard on a podcast that the ignore function infects compurers with malware.  I am not going to let the government or anyone else tell me when I should use ignore.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

Maybe part of that problem is that we didn’t see enough pictures or video of young people with COVID on ventilators...

If Covid affected and killed lots and lots of kids... the anti-vax attitudes flying around in this country would do an immediate 180 degrees turn. That's part of the "doesn't affect me" and "I want my freedoms" hypocrisy.

53 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

If Covid affected and killed lots and lots of kids... the anti-vax attitudes flying around in this country would do an immediate 180 degrees turn. That's part of the "doesn't affect me" and "I want my freedoms" hypocrisy.

This is very true. As it was, it was affecting old people and minorities in blue states, at first. And all of MAGA was fine with that. I wonder how they'll change history to make themselves look good? Maybe the midterms won't be kind to them after all?

13 hours ago, Archie said:

I think most people thought the vaccine would prevent someone from getting Covid -much like a flu shot - and the vaccine would get us past the pandemic.  I didn't mean it was going to end covid because I think Covid is here for a long time if not forever.

The flu shot doesn’t prevent you from getting the flu. It helps you fight the infection.  Just like COVID it goes a long way to keeping you out of the hospital.  The key difference, said from March 2020 onwards because of idiots like Dr Drew… COVID is asymptotically contagious and a lot more contagious than the flu.  That’s why it would never be “just like the flu”  

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Depends who’s kids 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

They would not. Sandy Hook taught us that. 

fair point. I think SF has the right narrative though. When Covid started the Reds weren't being affected and the evangelicals could just call it God's judgment on all them city sinners. Problem is once having picked sides it's not so easy to back out of the logic to which you committed.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

The flu shot doesn’t prevent you from getting the flu. It helps you fight the infection.  

Correct. And speaking from experience, the second sentence tends to be disregarded with prejudice. Despite the fact that there is a lot of evidence that outcomes tend to be better with a vaccine versus without.

If you show some of these anti-vaxxer Trump supporters data and they don't understand what they are looking at it's almost futile to try and correct them or reexplain it to them in a different manner. They will think you are getting hostile and condescending towards them. From there, they will elicit any number of reactions and emotions from lashing out in anger or getting defensive or shutting completely. These individuals have shown they don't have a propensity to become inquisitive and start asking questions with an open mind to help them better understand the data and science they are looking at. this problem is further compounded when they see the person the admire most, Donald Trump, trafficking in lies, misinformation, and misunderstandings of his own.

You don't even need to look at anti-vaxxers Trump supporters to see this type of response and behavior in action, look to Trump himself. His wild and crazy interview with Jonathan Swann of Axios, where he is talking about Covid highlighted this.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If you show some of these anti-vaxxer Trump supporters data and they don't understand what they are looking at it's almost futile to try and correct them or reexplain it to them in a different manner.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but there are some legitimate complaints from the anti-vaxxer side which IMO, 'science' hasn't clearly dictated how we should react either or at least shown the side that touts 'science' doesn't necessarily have a great grasp of everything either.   There was a recent poll where roughly 40% of democrats polled believed that 50% of unvaccinated folks that got Covid would need hospitalization.  I guess creating fear helps drive up vaccination rates, but in turn i'm sure it hurts in other factors associated with our society and certainly leads to more hostility/division.  

Just Christmas day, my aunt/uncle that tout 'science' and decry the Trump voters in my family showed up at my Grandma's.  Their daughter usually hosts Christmas, but didn't want people together due to Covid.  My aunt was wearing a mask.  I know she's vaccinated/boosted, but just figured she was playing it cautious.  I don't feel the need at this point, but i'll respect it from anyone that choses to do so.  Soon after they got up to leave and she mentions to my brother and I how she just hasn't felt good since the day before, headache, runny nose, sore throat, and occasional cough.   Are you freaking kidding me?   It was at least a KN-95 mask, but seriously, wtf?  If Grandma gets Covid soon after Christmas, I'm sure they'll be the first to blame my mom or uncle (Trump voters and both vaccinated (which i'm guessing she doubts)).

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but there are some legitimate complaints from the anti-vaxxer side which IMO, 'science' hasn't clearly dictated how we should react either or at least shown the side that touts 'science' doesn't necessarily have a great grasp of everything either.   There was a recent poll where roughly 40% of democrats polled believed that 50% of unvaccinated folks that got Covid would need hospitalization.  I guess creating fear helps drive up vaccination rates, but in turn i'm sure it hurts in other factors associated with our society and certainly leads to more hostility/division.  

Just Christmas day, my aunt/uncle that tout 'science' and decry the Trump voters in my family showed up at my Grandma's.  Their daughter usually hosts Christmas, but didn't want people together due to Covid.  My aunt was wearing a mask.  I know she's vaccinated/boosted, but just figured she was playing it cautious.  I don't feel the need at this point, but i'll respect it from anyone that choses to do so.  Soon after they got up to leave and she mentions to my brother and I how she just hasn't felt good since the day before, headache, runny nose, sore throat, and occasional cough.   Are you freaking kidding me?   It was at least a KN-95 mask, but seriously, wtf?  If Grandma gets Covid soon after Christmas, I'm sure they'll be the first to blame my mom or uncle (Trump voters and both vaccinated (which i'm guessing she doubts)).

That’s wrong.  And it’s going to be a big reason why we see cases rise.  Everyone thinks it’s the other people.  My wife told me today she has 5 co workers out with COVID.  The younger ones.  She made a comment and I said “well we went to the movies yesterday.  We went to two family parties over the last 2 weeks that we know had unvaccinated cousins there. Can’t really judge can we?”  

my son is going to the orange bowl…. As long as their flight isn’t cancelled.  But I’m thinking…. a guy who spent several hundred on a flight, a ticket… you wake up dec 29 or 30 with symptoms.  Is that guy going to say “well I guess I’m not going”. Doubt it.  The college football playoff could be super spreader events. 

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

...Just Christmas day, my aunt/uncle that tout 'science' and decry the Trump voters in my family showed up at my Grandma's.  Their daughter usually hosts Christmas, but didn't want people together due to Covid.  My aunt was wearing a mask.  I know she's vaccinated/boosted, but just figured she was playing it cautious.  I don't feel the need at this point, but i'll respect it from anyone that choses to do so.  Soon after they got up to leave and she mentions to my brother and I how she just hasn't felt good since the day before, headache, runny nose, sore throat, and occasional cough.   Are you freaking kidding me?   It was at least a KN-95 mask, but seriously, wtf?  If Grandma gets Covid soon after Christmas, I'm sure they'll be the first to blame my mom or uncle (Trump voters and both vaccinated (which i'm guessing she doubts)).

That's what happened to me yesterday.  My daughter came to dinner and about half way through dinner she mentions she was congested, sore throat, etc.  I'm always happy to see my kids but I couldn't believe she came to dinner not feeling well.  She says she only has a cold because she didn't lose smell or taste.  I told her that's not always the case and she needed to find out if she has a cold or covid.  

20 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If you show some of these anti-vaxxer Trump supporters data and they don't understand what they are looking at it's almost futile to try and correct them or reexplain it to them in a different manner. They will think you are getting hostile and condescending towards them. From there, they will elicit any number of reactions and emotions from lashing out in anger or getting defensive or shutting completely. These individuals have shown they don't have a propensity to become inquisitive and start asking questions with an open mind to help them better understand the data and science they are looking at. this problem is further compounded when they see the person the admire most, Donald Trump, trafficking in lies, misinformation, and misunderstandings of his own.

You don't even need to look at anti-vaxxers Trump supporters to see this type of response and behavior in action, look to Trump himself. His wild and crazy interview with Jonathan Swann of Axios, where he is talking about Covid highlighted this.

So glad we don't have to listen that idiot every day now. 

3 hours ago, oblong said:

my son is going to the orange bowl…. As long as their flight isn’t cancelled.  But I’m thinking…. a guy who spent several hundred on a flight, a ticket… you wake up dec 29 or 30 with symptoms.  Is that guy going to say “well I guess I’m not going”. Doubt it.  The college football playoff could be super spreader events. 

97.1 was talking about football players as they head into january 1st.  You can be damn sure they need to be dying from Covid before they call the team doc up and let them know they have symptoms.  They want to play and even moreso, they don't want to be the reason themselves and those in close contact with them don't have to go into Covid protocol and risk missing the game too.