Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

Not sure how well documented this is, but my understanding was the the sense of being thirsty ebbs as you age. When my dad was in his nineties we had to be sure he drank enough liquids.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/drink-up-dehydration-is-an-often-overlooked-health-risk-for-seniors/

Not saying the over hype on the other end is valid (and yes, QB science and research is BS).

3 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Not sure how well documented this is, but my understanding was the the sense of being thirsty ebbs as you age. When my dad was in his nineties we had to be sure he drank enough liquids.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/drink-up-dehydration-is-an-often-overlooked-health-risk-for-seniors/

Not saying the over hype on the other end is valid (and yes, QB science and research is BS).

Based on my 91 year old mom… I believe it. My mother in law took care of 2 uncles and they both would not drink water.  “Chrissy…. I need to go to the hospital?”  
“why?”

”I’m lightheaded and kind of dizzy”

”what did you eat and drink today?”

”I had half a muffin and coffee”

keep in mind it’s 2 pm and like 90 degrees out.  

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I'm on one of my "pushing back on pseudoscience kicks," and it has happened, believe it or not. What is interesting is this myth out there that so and so needs to drink 8 gallons of water a day,

LOL - I've always figured the water drinking advice must have gotten its legs in SoCal. But SoCal is a desert - you DO need to drink more water if you live where it's hot and dry!

42 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Speaking of pseudoscience, the Cleveland Clinic is a known purveyor. Be careful... Note how no studies are cited, just a testimonial. The overall message is probably true (dehydration is a risk), but a lot of the big water myths are parroted there.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think Leelenau is higher but yes Washtenaw has the highest vax rate of any large county - and new cases are running at about 175 per 100K, which is much higher than Wash Co has seen at any previous point. Omicron is simply racing through both vaxxed and un-Vaxxed populations. I saw one report from the UK that estimated that the booster no longer prevents someone from becoming infectious in as little as 14 weeks out from receiving it. OTOH, boosted individuals do still appear to have a far lower probability of suffering serious symptoms.

At this point, keeping people out of the hospital should be the goal. If the vaccination doesn't prevent infection, at least it will make the cases more mild. I guess we'll deal with the next variant when it hits.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Sure they do.  People that work at places where vaccines and testing are required get tested all the time.  

Workplaces do some testing (like drug screening). Sometimes willingly, sometimes under pressure from govt or insurance companies, but individuals don't get tested for things when they're not sick. It takes time and money and most people are not in the habit of wasting either for no obvious reason. I doubt you are gonna take a day off work and pay to get tested for malaria this week, gout next week, skin cancer the following week, etc.

And this idea that vaccines and testing are *required* is quite recent, and against the idea of a free society if not flat out unconstitutional. For the first 244 of America's 246 years, govt didn't demands such things of employers.

So, what I said, "USUALLY no one gets tested for anything when they are not sick." is true. Even a few exceptions don't refute "usually".

39 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Speaking of pseudoscience, the Cleveland Clinic is a known purveyor.

Mayo Clinic, too? World renown medical facilities are purveyors of pseudoscience?

They are surely wrong on occasions, but purveyors of pseudoscience? So we need to trust you guys over the FDA, CDC, Cleveland Clinic, developers of the vax ... oooohkayy.

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

I've gotten tested five times, and every one was precautionary and asymptomatic to add assurances the family I was visiting would not be put at risk.

Did you do that five years ago for any of 100 other things? No. So USUALLY, people don't waste the time or money to get tested for things they show no signs of having. I doubt you are gonna take a day off work and pay to get tested for malaria this week, gout next week, skin cancer the following week, etc.

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

At this point, keeping people out of the hospital should be the goal.

Amen! So we need to quit hyping this and scaring people into going to the hospital out of fear. Many people suffer harshly with the flu, and they don't fly to the hospital every time they sneeze. That's because we're familiar with the flu and there is no govt/media propaganda scaring people into fleeing to the hospital every time they exhibit flu symptoms - and they can get pretty severe. People stay home, bed rest, medicate, and wait it out. If more people did this with covid, the hospitals would be clear.

Fact is, most of them are anyway. Surely you guys are familiar with the naval hospital ships that were in the harbor when NY hospitals were supposedly full? And almost nobody was sent to them. I know a medical officer on one of those ships. Dr. J.D. Howe, who was waiting for sick people who never showed up.

Hundreds of beds available and nobody was being sent there. It's almost like they wanted to present the narrative that the hospitals were overfilled.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

Did you do that five years ago for any of 100 other things? No. So USUALLY, people don't waste the time or money to get tested for things they show no signs of having. I doubt you are gonna take a day off work and pay to get tested for malaria this week, gout next week, skin cancer the following week, etc.

100s of other things weren't super contagious, killing hundreds of thousands of Americans. If Malaria was spreading like crazy and it was known to spread asymptomatically by humans I would.  If me having skin cancer put my family at risk if I was around them, I would.  (For what it is worth, self assessment for skin cancer is a good lifestyle move)

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

100s of other things weren't super contagious, killing hundreds of thousands of Americans. If Malaria was spreading like crazy and it was known to spread asymptomatically by humans I would.  If me having skin cancer put my family at risk if I was around them, I would.  (For what it is worth, self assessment for skin cancer is a good lifestyle move)

Concur, having had a couple of the scares with skin issues.  Get that stuff checked out.

1 hour ago, Fox Wismic said:

Amen! So we need to quit hyping this and scaring people into going to the hospital out of fear. Many people suffer harshly with the flu, and they don't fly to the hospital every time they sneeze. That's because we're familiar with the flu and there is no govt/media propaganda scaring people into fleeing to the hospital every time they exhibit flu symptoms - and they can get pretty severe. People stay home, bed rest, medicate, and wait it out. If more people did this with covid, the hospitals would be clear.

Fact is, most of them are anyway. Surely you guys are familiar with the naval hospital ships that were in the harbor when NY hospitals were supposedly full? And almost nobody was sent to them. I know a medical officer on one of those ships. Dr. J.D. Howe, who was waiting for sick people who never showed up.

Hundreds of beds available and nobody was being sent there. It's almost like they wanted to present the narrative that the hospitals were overfilled.

Where do you get this utter nonsense?  

I guess everyone is making it all up. Seriously.  It’s impossible to be this stupid. 

Seeing a bit of chatter in twitter about Regeneron having the only monoclonal antibodies that work against Omnicron, and the supply already very depleted from MAGA crushing the supply chain earlier waves.   

This could be really bad for unvaxxed folks.

7 minutes ago, pfife said:

Seeing a bit of chatter in twitter about Regeneron having the only monoclonal antibodies that work against Omnicron, and the supply already very depleted from MAGA crushing the supply chain earlier waves.   

This could be really bad for unvaxxed folks.

the Pfizer therapeutic could be a big help if they can get distribution up and running, but with testing so backed up too many people will probably end up missing the window for its best use. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

100s of other things weren't super contagious, killing hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Lots of things are contagious and kill multitudes. The flu has been doing it for decades, but you never cared then. Tuberculosis is a HUGE killer in Africa, but "Black Lives Matter" only when politically expedient.

Edited by Fox Wismic

3 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

Lots of things are contagious and kill multitudes. The flu has been doing it for decades, but you never cared then. Tuberculosis is a HUGE killer in Africa, but "Black Lives Mater" only when politically expedient.

So now we have to solve all the world's problems before we have an effective public health regime in the US? I don't think so. But if you want to join the Peace Corp and get out from under that terrible job to make a start on on them,  go for it!

Edited by gehringer_2