Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

Got tested last Thursday after being around my dad, who was showing symptoms. I had no symptoms. His rapid test was negative and my PCR test came back negative on NYE. Fast forward about 36 hours and I start feeling sick. So I’m off to get tested again in an hour. Most likely this is just a bad cold I caught from my dad, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

and there's always the chance his negative was wrong.... is he feeling better?

good luck.  Was it hard to find a test?  I'm thinking the rush on tests will die down fast this week as people are done visiting and all that.

SO found testing a time available at a CVS in A^2 tomorrow. Couldn't find anything when we looked before leaving town on the 20th. I have one scheduled tomorrow at the U's student/staff service. I'll be interested to see if they have moved back into the bigger room where they started in 2019. They had shifted to a smaller room this fall after they waived the weekly testing requirements for the vaxxed.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

and there's always the chance his negative was wrong.... is he feeling better?

good luck.  Was it hard to find a test?  I'm thinking the rush on tests will die down fast this week as people are done visiting and all that.

Yeah he’s pretty much back to normal now. Now my little sister (who lives with them) and mom feel like they both have bad colds now. There’s a place right around the corner from me that does PCR (no rapid at this location) and they have tons of availability. Scheduled it a few hours ago and just got back home. I feel like it isn’t that well known, so I’ve been trying to get the word out. Now I wait…

1 hour ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Got tested last Thursday after being around my dad, who was showing symptoms. I had no symptoms. His rapid test was negative and my PCR test came back negative on NYE. Fast forward about 36 hours and I start feeling sick. So I’m off to get tested again in an hour. Most likely this is just a bad cold I caught from my dad, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.  

.I’m going to take a guess here and say that that was a false negative and that you actually are positive for Covid. As well as your dad. So many people who want to say it’s just a cold, a test proves that wasn’t the case. My neighbor was so sure, and adamant, that what she had was a cold.
I left a rapid test for her at her door I said please … take it. She took it, and showed positive. Then contacted her doctor. She’s been pretty sick, but finally now (after about 5-6 days) she starting to feel like she’s on the other side of it.

11 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

.I’m going to take a guess here and say that that was a false negative and that you actually are positive for Covid. As well as your dad. So many people who want to say it’s just a cold, a test proves that wasn’t the case. My neighbor was so sure, and adamant, that what she had was a cold.
I left a rapid test for her at her door I said please … take it. She took it, and showed positive. Then contacted her doctor. She’s been pretty sick, but finally now (after about 5-6 days) she starting to feel like she’s on the other side of it.

I’ll definitely be checking my email obsessively in about 24 hours for results. If it shows positive, I’m so so happy that I’m vaccinated and boosted. 

Edited by Tigerbomb13
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

that that was a false negative

yeah - you wonder. There is enough uncertainly on both sides with the available testing that you're left with doubt. I had a 'cold' in early Dec - passed it to the SO. It hung around more than two weeks, though that is not particularly unusual for me. I tested twice - the 'U' does a saliva based PCR, neg both times. Symptoms didn't match Delta - no fever, no taste/smell effect, energy level fine. But still - maybe an early Omicron? But since then we have been through 3 crowded airports, 3 completely full plane flights, more restaurants than we have been in in 2 yrs, and an Xmas party where we know a grandnephew went positive the next day. If anyone should have caught it it since then it was us, but we're fine - so maybe we had it? Or what we both had in April '19 before there was any testing may have been it. One person can always be the outlier.

Edited by gehringer_2

The symptoms for omicron are basically a cold.  I get a cold usually twice a year.  Only once have I had a sinus infection bad enough to go to a doctor.  Usually I just guzzle nyquil or booze so I can sleep.  Also I can never tell between allergies or a cold.  I know I have allergies because my whole life I'd wake up congested and need about 30 minutes to clear it out.  And I always have to clear my throat.... I assume from cigars.

I will be making an appointment to give blood. Red Cross does antibody checks.  I can think of one time in early Oct that made me suspicious but it was also when the weather turned and I had been running and outside in cool damp weather under dressed.  Right around when I got my booster as well.

I've held back slightly but not much.  We had some outings with family and do have a few cousins unvaxxed.  Nobody close to us has ever tested positive.  Lots of friends and extended family but none of our close family that lives here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oblong said:

The symptoms for omicron are basically a cold.  I get a cold usually twice a year.  Only once have I had a sinus infection bad enough to go to a doctor.  Usually I just guzzle nyquil or booze so I can sleep.  Also I can never tell between allergies or a cold.  I know I have allergies because my whole life I'd wake up congested and need about 30 minutes to clear it out.  And I always have to clear my throat.... I assume from cigars.

I will be making an appointment to give blood. Red Cross does antibody checks.  I can think of one time in early Oct that made me suspicious but it was also when the weather turned and I had been running and outside in cool damp weather under dressed.  Right around when I got my booster as well.

I've held back slightly but not much.  We had some outings with family and do have a few cousins unvaxxed.  Nobody close to us has ever tested positive.  Lots of friends and extended family but none of our close family that lives here.

Yes, allergies during a pandemic are horrid. I get seasonal allergies but I'm also allergic to animal dander. So...I got a cat....lol

I had a bit of a cold before Christmas. Perfect excuse to avoid several parties. 😆

I read that this new variant doesn't go as deep into the lungs. That's what makes it less severe. Hopefully, it just gets weaker and weaker. Maybe a wake-up call to the world to be more aware? And I still say if there were no Donald Trump and his cult, America would have been much better off.

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - you wonder. There is enough uncertainly on both sides with the available testing that you're left with doubt. I had a 'cold' in early Dec - passed it to the SO. It hung around more than two weeks, though that is not particularly unusual for me. I tested twice - the 'U' does a saliva based PCR, neg both times. Symptoms didn't match Delta - no fever, no taste/smell effect, energy level fine. But still - maybe an early Omicron? But since then we have been through 3 crowded airports, 3 completely full plane flights, more restaurants than we have been in in 2 yrs, and an Xmas party where we know a grandnephew went positive the next day. If anyone should have caught it it since then it was us, but we're fine - so maybe we had it? Or what we both had in April '19 before there was any testing may have been it. One person can always be the outlier.

There's so much we don't know. I read a previous infection from Delta didn't give you immunity from Omicron. Does a recovered omicron infection protect someone from Delta? That would be great as Delta is a much worse infection. 

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

Please tell us that the only valid stress someone can suffer from their job is physical stress, and that constant job-related emotional stress and intellectual stress mean nothing.

Who said anything about stress? I'm talking about being able to breathe while wearing a mask that impairs one's breathing.

If you don't understand that, then I know you have a job that is not very physically demanding.

1 hour ago, Fox Wismic said:

Who said anything about stress? I'm talking about being able to breathe while wearing a mask that impairs one's breathing.

If you don't understand that, then I know you have a job that is not very physically demanding.

And you have no idea of the physical demands of nursing in hospital situations, so stop whining.  

So unattractive. lol

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

There's so much we don't know. I read a previous infection from Delta didn't give you immunity from Omicron. Does a recovered omicron infection protect someone from Delta? That would be great as Delta is a much worse infection. 

I read something that said this was certainly possible. 

2 hours ago, pfife said:

I read something that said this was certainly possible. 

I saw this as well.  Appears that Delta doesn't necessarily give a boost towards Omnicron, but Omnicron appears to help out against Delta and other variants (I was interested in what those 'others' were, but it didn't state it and I didn't go looking).

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

There's a hockey player who tested positive today, but they didn't say it was omicron.  He had Covid last year, and he is triple vaxxed.

Listened to a podcast (Detroitcast #1493) and they had a doctor in Immunology and Microbiology on.  I found it very interesting.  Note the podcast hosts are right leaning (but both vaxxed) and will probably trigger most folks on this board, the guest fought them on some things, but agreed on others.  As for Covid, he currently doesn't believe you can get it twice, but mentions you have to be specific.  For instance you can't get Delta twice, or Omincron twice, but you could get Delta and then Omnicron.  

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

There's a hockey player who tested positive today, but they didn't say it was omicron.  He had Covid last year, and he is triple vaxxed.

Additionally, if I understood him correctly, the belief is that the booster will help efficacy but currently they don't have the data to confirm.  In terms of hospitalization, he doesn't believe the booster is needed to keep vaccinated folks out of hospitals.

My SIL, who was with us until the end of last week, tested positive after developing symptoms the other day.  My daughter had a slight fever which went away within a few hours today.  My wife just got home from the hospital and they still don't know what's up with her, so now we're all in separate rooms.  This has been the most exhausting 'holiday' of my life!

We've got one suburban district around here that had to start back after break with a emergency day off followed by K-5th in person and 6th-HS on remote.  Another suburban district had to temporarily eliminate a few bus routes.  Both due to staffing shortages.