Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

1 hour ago, Cartman said:

Chicago Alderman Calls for Students to Eat Outdoors as Temperatures Plummet

Forcing kids to eat outside in below freezing temps….installed CO2 monitors (WTF??)….the CTU needs a HARD dose of reality and needs to get back to in-person teaching NOW. 

they already make them keep the windows open all day.  in chicago.  in january.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

It sounds like Chicago is an extreme situation, or maybe, a culture out on an extreme wing off to the side of the neighborhood of normal with multiple examples to be used as proof.

16 minutes ago, casimir said:

It sounds like Chicago is an extreme situation, or maybe, a culture out on an extreme wing off to the side of the neighborhood of normal with multiple examples to be used as proof.

chicago's teacher union is an extreme situation.  this is the 4th strike/lockdown situation my 7th grader has been through.  

the last union leader was going to run for mayor until she got cancer.  the new second in command is going to run for mayor next time.  

the city has good relations with every union (and there are lots of them) except the cops (who are run by trumpy idiots) and the teachers (who are run by limousine liberal fake marxists).  the cops didnt have a contract for 5 years because they cant strike.  the teachers strike every three years.

its fun.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

The parents just blame "new math" or "common core".  Kids need to learn the old fashioned way and just hope the multiplier never goes above 12.

It’s embarrassing how long after I memorized 12x12 that it took me to memorize 13x12. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

I keep windows open in my lab as much as possible without having the room temp drop too much. Obviously it's going to be a reasonable compromise with whatever the weather is doing but air movement is about the most effective thing you can do to safe a room environment against COVID. Even in January. The U even did flow modeling on their campus buses and figured out how many windows to leave open on them (all year) as well.

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It’s embarrassing how long after I memorized 12x12 that it took me to memorize 13x12. 

While we're in the public confessional, I cannot operate the calculator on my phone worth a diddly pooh.  I had one of those watches with a calculator and 16 or so buttons on it when I was a kid that I probably used with more adroitly than I can with my iphone.

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

chicago's teacher union is an extreme situation.  this is the 4th strike/lockdown situation my 7th grader has been through.  

the last union leader was going to run for mayor until she got cancer.  the new second in command is going to run for mayor next time.  

the city has good relations with every union (and there are lots of them) except the cops (who are run by trumpy idiots) and the teachers (who are run by limousine liberal fake marxists).  the cops didnt have a contract for 5 years because they cant strike.  the teachers strike every three years.

its fun.

What are the surounding districts like?  My wife teaches in a neighboring district that shares a border with the one our kids go to.  Its amazing how different/similar that they can be given any specific variable.

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

What are the surounding districts like?  My wife teaches in a neighboring district that shares a border with the one our kids go to.  Its amazing how different/similar that they can be given any specific variable.

teachers usually get what they want in most suburban jurisdictions where people move there specifically for the good schools and pay extremely high property taxes.  those jurisdictions also dont have the problems with poverty and crime that chicago has.

but there are rarely strikes and labor strife in the suburbs.  its a different dynamic in the city.  the union is extremely political and throws its money around to a lot of local candidates and gets their support.

they endorsed the current head of cook county (and the head of the cook county democratic party and the major insider in chicago) for mayor last time and she got destroyed in the mayoral election by the current mayor.  as such, the teachers union has hated the current mayor since day one.  

the current mayor also ran as an outsider against the political machine, so the political machine (which the teachers union is a major benefactor for - and of) has been against her from day one.  and the current mayor doesnt help because she is very acerbic and not a great politician.

its all very interesting and frustrating at the same time.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I never memorized 13x12. I just take 144+10+2 to arrive at the answer. 

I remember when I was in school my teacher would say you won't have a calculator in your pocket at all times. 

And memorizing Lincoln's Gettysburg address? I can still repeat it. Using Google....lol

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

And memorizing Lincoln's Gettysburg address? I can still repeat it. Using Google....lol

i remember being the only white kid in my grade school classes and having to be lincoln at every. school.  play.

so yes, i still recall four score and seven years ago our fathers set forth on this continent a new nation....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, buddha said:

i remember being the only white kid in my grade school classes and having to be lincoln at every. school.  play.

so yes, i still recall four score and seven years ago our fathers set forth on this continent a new nation....

The only play we did at my school was Anne Frank and I was asked to play the Gestapo. 

20 hours ago, casimir said:

While we're in the public confessional, I cannot operate the calculator on my phone worth a diddly pooh.  I had one of those watches with a calculator and 16 or so buttons on it when I was a kid that I probably used with more adroitly than I can with my iphone.

Who takes the time to pull up the calculator app anyway?  Stop living in 2019, boomer. 

"Alexa, what is 137 x 18?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ewsieg said:

Who takes the time to pull up the calculator app anyway?  Stop living in 2019, boomer. 

"Alexa, what is 137 x 18?"

I don’t use Alexa or Siri but I speak out most all of my texts and even post on the site like this one. The speech to text feature on the iPhone has gotten really good.

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t use Alexa or Siri but I speak out most all of my texts and even post on the site like this one. The speech to text feature on the iPhone has gotten really good.

IDK, I feel like there is a spotlight on me when I use speech to text.  I'm driving in my car and want to text my wife "don't worry about dinner, i'll take care of it' and it comes out like "ahh, hey hun, don't worry about dinner.  I , ahh, I'm not really sure but i'll umm, we have that pork loin, I mean......"  Then I just wait for Siri to say if she should send it and I say no.

7 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

IDK, I feel like there is a spotlight on me when I use speech to text.  I'm driving in my car and want to text my wife "don't worry about dinner, i'll take care of it' and it comes out like "ahh, hey hun, don't worry about dinner.  I , ahh, I'm not really sure but i'll umm, we have that pork loin, I mean......"  Then I just wait for Siri to say if she should send it and I say no.

I felt the same exact way but somewhere along the line Apple made some improvements. It’s still not perfect but way better than I remembered it.