Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

In my opinion, cases don't matter anymore.

Only hospitalizations/ death.

If cases go up 1,000% and hospitalizations go up 5% as a result... moot point. Nothing should change from our current approach. In other words... I'm ready to move on with life.

This is how I feel as well.    We are at the point where it really is like the flu.  Unfortunately,  it took millions of deaths to get here.    

Edited by Hongbit

My wife and I are mulling over when to get it. Should we go soon as possible, or wait until flu shot season? We ask because if we get it now, will its effectiveness fade by the time late fall/winter comes? On the same hand, we're going into summer and it's not likely we'll have a big deadly COVID wave, so I wouldn't want to waste max protection on a time period during which the danger is diminished. On the other hand, getting it sooner makes us more confident to travel as we plan to go on long driving trips in both May and August.

What to do ... what ... to ... do ... 🤔

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

My wife and I are mulling over when to get it. Should we go soon as possible, or wait until flu shot season? We ask because if we get it now, will its effectiveness fade by the time late fall/winter comes? On the same hand, we're going into summer and it's not likely we'll have a big deadly COVID wave, so I wouldn't want to waste max protection on a time period during which the danger is diminished. On the other hand, getting it sooner makes us more confident to travel as we plan to go on long driving trips in both May and August.

What to do ... what ... to ... do ... 🤔

I’m scheduled for an operation beginning of May, and I want every protection available since I’ll be hospitalized at least 2+ days. (My surgeon has said he’s going to try to get me out of there ASAP, because the hospital is the worst place to be as far as infections etc. Lol.)

Right now, our numbers are increasing a little in the NYgreater metropolitan area, so this is the right time for me to get the booster.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A person I was working out next to yesterday for 60 minutes tested positive this morning.  I ran a half marathon with her on Saturday too.  She had tested negative earlier in the week but now positive.  So I'm in a wait and see approach.  See how I feel and probably test Saturday or Sunday morning if I have symptoms.

I"ve made it this far without being tested and leave it to a doctor to infect me... she feels horrible about it.

• Sad 1

We have roughly 6,000 employees at my company through various offices in a couple states. The CEO seems determined to get everyone back into the office. There was a voluntarily sign up to return to the office starting in April. Out of 6,000 employees, 52 people volunteered to return. They are easing everybody to return despite 99% of the company does not want to return. One of the thinks they are offering is COVID sick time. Employees get an additional 40 hours of paid sick leave if they positive for COVID. There is no vaccine mandate but you basically have to state each day if you have COVID symptoms. All this because one person wants everyone to return. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

A person I was working out next to yesterday for 60 minutes tested positive this morning.  I ran a half marathon with her on Saturday too.  She had tested negative earlier in the week but now positive.  So I'm in a wait and see approach.  See how I feel and probably test Saturday or Sunday morning if I have symptoms.

I"ve made it this far without being tested and leave it to a doctor to infect me... she feels horrible about it.

I’m pretty sure I mentioned this, but about 6 weeks ago my gf tested positive a couple days after we went to Michigan Winter Beerfest in Grand Rapids. Me, her cousin, and cousin’s husbands were all fine event though we were all together for the whole weekend. COVID is strange. I’m pretty sure I’ll catch it eventually. 

7 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I’m pretty sure I mentioned this, but about 6 weeks ago my gf tested positive a couple days after we went to Michigan Winter Beerfest in Grand Rapids. Me, her cousin, and cousin’s husbands were all fine event though we were all together for the whole weekend. COVID is strange. I’m pretty sure I’ll catch it eventually. 

you may have had it already and not even known it.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

you may have had it already and not even known it.

It’s possible I was asymptomatic. Her parents were sick right before that and tested negative with rapid tests. I’ve learned through her and friends that the reliability with those is all over, depending on when you test. The first day she felt sick she tested negative, and two days later took three positives. I’m thinking she likely caught it from them. 

I gave blood last week and my antibodies came back reactive + which means antibody levels were detected at high enough levels to be used as convalescent plasma.  Whether that means it's from an infection or from the vaccine is unknown.  I got my second booster about 6 months ago.

My friend told us yesterday her son tested postive but she was negative.  Then last night she told me she had a sore throat and her other son did too (he already had it in 2020).  Then today she says both positive.  No word on her husband.