Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

48 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'm not worried about it.  ive been around a lot of people who have had it and ive either gotten it or been exposed to it.  ive been boosted once.  if they say i should get boosted again i suppose i will get boosted again.

Doesn't look like there will be general recommendation for 2nd booster - at least until  most people are further out from their first. Seems the consensus is to leave it a case by case decision for the time being.

42 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Doesn't look like there will be general recommendation for 2nd booster - at least until  most people are further out from their first. Seems the consensus is to leave it a case by case decision for the time being.

good.

I wish masks were required because people are gross and stupid and places like transport make us be near more stupid and gross people.

It's always a dude that says "I don't like wearing them" as if he's been asked to wear a dress.  I immediately think "You are a crybaby"

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

I wish masks were required because people are gross and stupid and places like transport make us be near more stupid and gross people.

It's always a dude that says "I don't like wearing them" as if he's been asked to wear a dress.  I immediately think "You are a crybaby"

But you can always just wear yours if you really think they work so sounds like you might be the crybaby.

• Like 1

Masking is effective when done corporately. They knock down the amount of virus you spread around in the environment.Typical masks protect other people from you more than they protect you from other people. N95s are somewhat more effective for the wearer, but even n95's are problematic because they still don't guarantee a good enough fit to insure protection to the wearer. The only thing that is really effective in protecting the wearer from other people is a respirator.....

The US public has misunderstood how this works pretty much from day one and it apparently shows no sign of improving.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

But you can always just wear yours if you really think they work so sounds like you might be the crybaby.

I will because I might be a carrier without knowing it and the 4 year old sitting behind me can't get vaccinated and may be on their way to see Grandma who is immunocompromised.  My mask and her mask provide a great form of protection.  Her mask and my lack of a mask provides less.  I care about other people and will sacrifice a few hours of extremely minor discomfort to do as much as I can to keep people safe.

Once again, 2 year into this fucking pandemic and we still have to teach people it's not about you, its about the person next to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Masking is effective when done corporately. They knock down the amount of virus you spread around in the environment.Typical masks protect other people from you more than they protect you from other people. N95s are somewhat more effective for the wearer, but even n95's are problematic because they still don't guarantee a good enough fit to insure protection to the wearer. The only thing that is really effective in protecting the wearer from other people is a respirator.....

The US public has misunderstood how this works pretty much from day one and it apparently shows no sign of improving.

wearing masks may have some marginal effect on preventing airbirne illness, should everyone be required to wear one all the time in the future in order to slightly restrict the spread of such illnesses?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oblong said:

My mask and her mask provide a great form of protection.

If worn correctly, a cloth mask is mildly effective but let's be real here for just a second: how many people on a plance are wearing them correctly? Optimistically three. Pragmatically none. They're off for meals and drinking. They're constantly being adjusted which will cause the hands (the germ petri dish) to constantly be near the eyes. It's silly and a charade on planes at this point, which, btw, have the best filtration system currently available.

Again, you are always welcome to wear yours. No one is stopping you just like no one is stopping you from driving to your destination instead either.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

wearing masks may have some marginal effect on preventing airbirne illness, should everyone be required to wear one all the time in the future in order to slightly restrict the spread of such illnesses?

I think we have reached the point where it becomes context dependent. In my county the Vax rate is 87% and there have not been any fatalities in anyone too young to be vaccinated so I'm not bothered walking around in an unmasked general public any more. In an airplane where I am trapped in space with a person of unknown history, not so much. At the U, where a 5 day quarantine still creates a major hardship for students, we still mask in the classroom  because it helps keep as many in class as possible. One of the problems in America is that we act like we are stupid (well, because we are), and have to have simple stupid one size fits all rules. Being asked to apply a little intelligent judgment has become too much for American society. (And of course the flip side is we are too belligerent to take other people's good advice.)

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think we have reached the point where it becomes context dependent. In my county the Vax rate is 87% and there have not been any fatalities in anyone too young to be vaccinated so I'm not bothered walking around in an unmasked general public any more. In an airplane where I am trapped in space with a person of unknown history, not so much. At the U, where a 5 day quarantine still creates a major hardship for students, we still mask in the classroom  because it helps keep as many in class as possible. One of the problems in America is that we act like we are stupid (well, because we are), and have to have simple stupid one size fits all rules. Being asked to apply a little intelligent judgment has become too much for American society. (And of course the flip side is we are too belligerent to take other people's good advice.)

Too many people have the attitude that if it doesn't work 100% then it's useless.

Same people who don't wear helmets on motorcycles.