Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

sure i would.  

i didnt believe all that shit i heard from people who said airlines were cancelling flights because their employees were protesting vaccines and i dont think theyre cancelling a bunch of flights because some employees got covid because they dropped the mask mandate.

did some employees protest the vaccine mandate?  sure.  will some employees get covid now?  sure.  is either a big deal in the grand scheme of things?  i dont think so.

its time to get back to normal.  wear a mask if you want, but i dont think people should be required to do so anymore.  the risk is no longer that great.

The CEO of the airline said the cancellation was due to COVID. They even proactively canceled flights because of it. 4% may not seem like a big deal to you, but if my company had to close 4% of it's operations that would be a big deal especially if a simple mask could have prevented it. 

On 4/19/2022 at 9:20 PM, pfife said:

IDK why it's in cleveland of all places but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is bad ass

I think because of payola.  The DJ who was center of that scandal was Alan Freed who was a taste maker for Rock and Roll and he was based in the Cleave.

Edited by romad1

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

I think because of payola.  The DJ who was center of that scandal was Alan Freed who was a taste maker for Rock and Roll and he was based in the Cleave.

True. Cleveland put up $55 Million in public financing and offered the land. Nobody else came close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame

Edited by CMRivdogs

I remember seeng The R&R HOF for the first time in 1996. My son and I were on a road trip to Cooperstown and decided to stop. Got there there before it opened. Looked like a giant record store, Then a bus load of Jr High kids showed up. 

Back to the road, I didn't visit until several years later when my wife had a conference in Cleveland

25 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I thought I had heard the phrase Rock and Roll originated in Cleveland? Either way this is all they have so just let them have it. 

I didn't know either Chuck Berry or Little Richard were from Cleveland.

Joking aside, I think I remember reading a DJ from Cleveland was the first to term some R&B as Rock and Roll to try and get it into more of a white audience.

12 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Chas inferred it was fake which is what I was referencing. 

I don't know how many airlines are in Europe. The headline didn't say all airlines in Europe experiencing shortages. 

The irony here is you call out my faults yet YOU clicked on the link because YOU have a political agenda to try to prove me wrong so it also worked in making YOU click on the link. Mission accomplished. 

Well, technically, you inferred that I implied it was fake.

Between the failure to identify the airlines as overseas, and the inability to click through tweet to get to the article, I'm forgiving myself for the implication.

on my plane ride, about 90% of the people in the airport were not wearing masks.  once on the plane, it was about 75-80% not wearing masks.  my uber driver in chicago wore a mask (so i wore one), my uber driver in cleveland did not wear a mask (but i wore one anyway because....cleveland).

1 hour ago, buddha said:

on my plane ride, about 90% of the people in the airport were not wearing masks.  once on the plane, it was about 75-80% not wearing masks.  my uber driver in chicago wore a mask (so i wore one), my uber driver in cleveland did not wear a mask (but i wore one anyway because....cleveland).

the next big thing should be UV-C lighting in public places. It can pretty much keep the air in large stagnant places sterile without giving the occupants melanoma - a helpful feature.

It looks like China might actually try to lock down Beijing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/24/world/asia/covid-beijing-shanghai.html

Can anyone explain what Xi thinks the end game is to this? Covid is not going to go away - it's going to be become a circulating communicable infection around the globe that virtually everyone is eventually going to have to be become resistant to via exposure or vaccination or be killed by. It's manifestly not just going to disappear like Sars I did so that one day the Epids can just declare 'it's gone'. Unless Xi thinks he can close China - a commercial behemoth - off from people coming and going in and out of the country forever, his policy of absolute containment make zero sense and is doomed to ultimately fail. You can't have aspirations to lead a world economy with closed borders and your people embargoed from international travel.

Xi is so fixed on trying to prove that China can to "it" better than the West that he's lost track of the fact that his "it" is a counterproductive policy for his people.

Edited by gehringer_2