Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

I think that it is evident that the vaccines did indeed prevent the majority of peop!e from contracting Alpha and Delta.  You could see it in the daily cases before Omicron - the 10% of the population that was unvaccinated was responsible for 75% of the new cases.

Now Omicron seems to have evolved to evade the vaccine, hardly surprising.  It is possible though that the vaccines still do reduce the severity.  All things considered it is pretty silly to suggest that the vaccines "don't work".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fox Wismic said:

So it's not a vaccine. It doesn't prevent the virus. It just lessens some of the symptoms. Not a lot of value in that. Some, but not a lot. So why do I need to get it if it doesn't prevent the spread anyway? I thought getting the vax was to protect *others*? Guess not.

I have some numbers for consideration:

USA:  Vax 62% of total population, deaths per million 2,500

Canada:  Vax 82% of total population, deaths per milion 788

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

That's not young, and he had other health issues.

From covid in September. He was going to get a vaccine but he died, along with thousands of other unvaccinated folks. And 62 IS young when compared to the average life expectancy in America. 77 years old? I know it dropped because of covid but it's still an early death. Because of covid. And there's a vaccine for it, it protects you from death or hospitalization.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

I think that it is evident that the vaccines did indeed prevent the majority of peop!e from contracting Alpha and Delta.  You could see it in the daily cases before Omicron - the 10% of the population that was unvaccinated was responsible for 75% of the new cases.

Now Omicron seems to have evolved to evade the vaccine, hardly surprising.  It is possible though that the vaccines still do reduce the severity.  All things considered it is pretty silly to suggest that the vaccines "don't work".

Somewhere up thread I posted about the difference between a vaccine's clinical effectiveness and its epidemiological effectiveness. They are different things. Early evidence is that Omicron will still replicate in a vaccinated individual enough for that individual to pass the virus on, so that's much not help wrt epidemic spread. But OTOH, so far preliminary evidence is that the vaccines are effective for Omicron at reducing the severity of clinical outcomes (morbidity/mortality). Meaning that getting vaccinated now is even more a matter of self-interest rather than social responsibility than it was previously.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

You chose to ignore the 388,000 Americans who were killed by the vaccine

So you’re saying I now have to track-

Americans killed by Trump

Americans killed by Biden

…..and Americans killed by the vaccine.

This is getting way too busy.

• Haha 1

Just now, CMRivdogs said:

As long as your freedoms done interfere with our freedoms. 

I said, you are totally free to take as many jabs as you desire. You are also free to social distance if you feel you are at risk. Mask up if you want. Stay home from work. Avoid restaurants, sporting events, and right wing political rallies (BLM protests are okay). Whatever you think makes you feel safe.

38 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Somewhere up thread I posted about the difference between a vaccine's clinical effectiveness and its epidemiological effectiveness. They are different things. Early evidence is that Omicron will still replicate in a vaccinated individual enough for that individual to pass the virus on, so that's much not help wrt epidemic spread. But OTOH, so far preliminary evidence is that the vaccines are effective for Omicron at reducing the severity of clinical outcomes (morbidity/mortality). Meaning that getting vaccinated now is even more a matter of self-interest rather than social responsibility than it was previously.

Keeping yourself out of the hospital is perhaps biggest social responsibility pertaining to the pandemic.  If the hospital gets filled to capacity, that creates all kinds of problems for everybody.  Wasn't that the main reason for the shut downs in 2020?   

9 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

I said, you are totally free to take as many jabs as you desire. You are also free to social distance if you feel you are at risk. Mask up if you want. Stay home from work. Avoid restaurants, sporting events, and right wing political rallies (BLM protests are okay). Whatever you think makes you feel safe.

Happy made up pecan holiday to you too

19 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

Right. So let me worry about my own self interest. You guys aren't trying to limit my freedoms, remember?

Sure, if they do not interfere with someone elses freedom, it's fine.  However, since there aren't many things that you can do which don't effect anyone else, that severely limits the Libertarian fantasy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

So I'm supposed to bend over backward just so you can do what you want to do and expect no consequences.

I dated a girl like that once.

21 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Raise your hand if your Christmas Eve , and/or Christmas Day plans have been tossed out the window due to an exposure in the family.... (just praying the pcr test, which can’t be taken by my grand-niece until Sunday, comes back negative)

😕

BDDFCB5D-B425-4009-BD74-1B0C1216298A.jpeg

… and now, Christmas Day get together cancelled… a different family member exposed.

(So glad I made 4lbs of shrimp and calami salad… 🥴)

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Keeping yourself out of the hospital is perhaps biggest social responsibility pertaining to the pandemic. If the hospital gets filled to capacity, that creates all kinds of problems for everybody. Wasn't that the main reason for the shut downs in 2020?   

If you want to keep people out of the hospital, stop the panic and fearmongering.

The flu kills a few hundred thousand every year. It has often worse effects than covid. If the media and establishment bang the panic drums for the flu, lots of people would be running to the hospital. But we are familiar with the flu. So we stay in bed, suffer a bit, take a couple of days off work.

That's pretty much what I did when I had covid myself.

But if we are told we might have covid, so the masses fly to the hospital in fear if they sneeze a couple times.

BTW, do smokers, drinkers, sexually promiscuous, and homosexuals have the same responsibility to keep the hospitals clear?

Didn't those shutdowns in 2020 work? Two weeks to flatten the curve? Masking? They didn't work? The first three jabs? And now we are supposed to listen to the same people who were wrong every time so far? The weatherman is more accurate.