Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

an 86 year old dyeing of natural causes is perfectly normal.

AMEN! But when they die with covid we are all supposed to panic, give the govt more power, give up our liberties, spend more taxpayer money, shut down businesses, mask, vax, distance, etc.

The VAST majority of covid deaths are elderly and infirm, just as would be expected. Those are the ones who need to be vaxxed, not all the healthy people.

6 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

Population immunity has always been the best way to eradicate a communicable virus.

History has shown that population immunity has always worked.  It happened to kill a larger percentage of the population, but it worked.  Damn kids wanting to change everything.  Next thing you know my kids are going to be pushing for me to buy a toaster when building a fire every morning and flipping the toast on a stick has always worked in the past.  Plus, how are you going to know if it's starting to burn if you don't even have eyes on it.  Stupid kids.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

His wife is a Nurse like mine who probably works a 12 hour shift that usually ends up being 13-14 hour shift.

So nurses throw around 50-60# items continually for all 12 hours? Not any of the few dozen nurses I know. That doesn't mean they have an easy job, but it's not as continually physically strenuous. They probably get to sit down once in a while. And their masks were for a different purpose and were not needed to be worn virtually airtight.

I worked 12 hour shifts for 23 years. Try again.

1 minute ago, Fox Wismic said:

So nurses throw around 50-60# items continually for all 12 hours? Not any of the few dozen nurses I know. That doesn't mean they have an easy job, but it's not as continually physically strenuous. They probably get to sit down once in a while. And their masks were for a different purpose and were not needed to be worn virtually airtight.

Try slinging around 300-400 pound obiese sedated patients that shit all over the floor. Then when your done with that go hold the hand of a child who's mother just overdosed and their family is saying goodbye to them.

You have no clue what an average Nurses shift looks like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

Since your job is so tough and you think you're smarter and more knowledgeable than everyone else, why not find a better job?  

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

My mom did this with us in the 80's.  I'd argue it wasn't moronic, as at the time, the medical community endorsed it.  It was a well known disease and it was well known that catching it younger was better, and having it later in life was much more severe.  We have a vax for that now, so it's changed.   

If onmicron is much less severe for all and gives me more antibodies to deal with the next variant, I want it too.  Long term we don't know as much about this though, so while i'm triple vaxed and not as cautious as I used to be, I'm still going to try and avoid it as long as possible.

I agree it might be a good result if the Omicron variant infects a lot of people. It might solve a lot of problems.  However, I would not want to get it deliberately or have my family get it.  what if you try to get omicron and then get one of the other variants instead and get really sick?  What if you have long-term side effects? What if getting infected with Omicron does not protect you from future infections? 

As for Chicken Pox.  Those that got chicken pox like me (not on purpose) are more susceptible to Shingles later in life.  I have known people who got it and suffered with it for months.  Fortunately, there is now a vaccine.

I understand that herd immunity can sometimes be a good thing if a virus is mild, but I would never deliberately get myself or a family member sick.  I'd rather not get sick.  It doesn't mean shut everything down or withdraw from society, but I prefer taking some reasonable precautions.  

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree it might be a good result if the Omicron variant infects a lot of people. It might solve a lot of problems.  However, I would not want to get it deliberately or have my family get it.  what if you try to get omicron and then get one of the other variants instead and get really sick?  What if you have long-term side effects? What if getting infected with Omicron does not protect you from future infections? 

As for Chicken Pox.  Those that got chicken pox like me (not on purpose) are more susceptible to Shingles later in life.  I have known people who got it and suffered with it for months.  Fortunately, there is now a vaccine.

I understand that herd immunity can sometimes be a good thing if a virus is mild, but I would never deliberately get myself or a family member sick.  I'd rather not get sick.  It doesn't mean shut everything down or withdraw from society, but I prefer taking some reasonable precautions.  

Does this new variant cause long-covid? If so, these people are idiots.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I work from home, so prior to this week the longest I wore a mask was about 5 hours (entering airport, flying to Seattle, leaving airport, then back again).  My wife spent last night in the hospital due to an allergic reaction (and i'm sure I have covid now from being in the ER, like 100% sure!).

I had a mask on from roughly 9am yesterday until 8am this morning when I went home to shower/change.  Just sat/slept, still horrible.  I give props to anyone that has to wear a mask for an entire shift, especially if they are on their feet/moving/physical.  

I had to wear one pretty much 40 hr/wk starting last winter term, the key for me was masks with two soft cloth ties around the head. Take longer to put on, but so, SO much more comfortable than behind the ears or elastic around the head - plus they stay up. There are not many (any?) N95s with cloth tie backs, but I have seen hospital employees use cloth bands that hook to the elastics to achieve the same effect.

Highly recommend trying cloth tie backs to anyone who finds other types uncomfortable/unworkable.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Try slinging around 300-400 pound obiese sedated patients that shit all over the floor. Then when your done with that go hold the hand of a child who's mother just overdosed and their family is saying goodbye to them.

You have no clue what an average Nurses shift looks like.

Yep. Although my wife is a therapist.   same drill though.  Lots of heavy lifting of patients helping them do therapy etc. Sometimes she comes home and then says “I haven’t peed all day”.  She does though get to sit for about 20 minutes to each a lunch she packs.  But she’s doing charts when eating. 

I don't want to get into a pissing match about who has the toughest job, especially when I know for sure mine isn't one of them.  That said, imagine being such a manly man that lifts large objects for 12 hours a day, probably 7 days a week, 365 days a yearx, but a piece of cloth, which you openly mock as doing nothing when it fits your narrative, apparently is that extra physical issue that prevents you from doing your job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Don't forget emotionally. My ex said on her ICU floor, there used to be 1 or 2 deaths per 12 hour shift. Now she's seeing up to a dozen per shift...mostly all unvaxxed.

Yes.  “Two more patients died today” is a common thing I hear.  Imagine the emotional toll of working with people, taking with them, seeing progress, trying to help, then they die.  Every day. To us they are nameless stats.  To hospital staffs they are people they interact with all day long.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oblong said:

Yes.  “Two more patients died today” is a common thing I hear.  Imagine the emotional toll of working with people, taking with them, seeing progress, trying to help, then they die.  Every day. To us they are nameless stats.  To hospital staffs they are people they interact with all day long.  

Right out of high school I worked as a housekeeper at a hospital.  Occasionally if someone was on vacation i'd get put on a regular's job for a week.  Surgical wing was great, you'd see folks right after a surgery and some looked horrible, within a few days they are talking/laughing and heading home.  The cancer wing, oh man, watching a person in one week go from talking and being in good spirits despite some issues to family members whispering about next steps is brutal.  Couldn't understand how nurses would chose to stay on those floors.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/12/31/michigan-update-covid-19-quarantine-guidelines-follow-cdc/9062458002/

I want to make a comment like i'm glad to see Whitmer following science again, but admittedly, that would be a troll move. (Not below me mind you).   But instead, I will give a criticism that I actually think is not only legitimate, but somewhat ironic.  So Michigan doesn't follow CDC guidelines saying they need to know more.  The statement from the State indicates they are satisfied now, but they don't give any details on what information helped changed their decision.  So Delta buy off Whitmer too? 

24 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Right out of high school I worked as a housekeeper at a hospital.  Occasionally if someone was on vacation i'd get put on a regular's job for a week.  Surgical wing was great, you'd see folks right after a surgery and some looked horrible, within a few days they are talking/laughing and heading home.  The cancer wing, oh man, watching a person in one week go from talking and being in good spirits despite some issues to family members whispering about next steps is brutal.  Couldn't understand how nurses would chose to stay on those floors.

I always thought working the peds unit would be horrible. It's heartbreaking seeing ill children.