Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

17 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I always thought working the peds unit would be horrible. It's heartbreaking seeing ill children.

I'm sure my view of Peds was vastly different than a nurse/doctor.  Mom/Dad almost never left and often just cleaned up after themselves so I wasn't in those rooms with patients often.  They had a big play area and the kids that were feeling alright and able to be around others were out there having fun.

ER was hit and miss.  A bad car accident and you see a guy rushed past you and into Trauma 1 and you'd take one look at assume they weren't going to make it.  There were a few that were real serious that I remember and while I wasn't in the room, I've heard them work.  Sucked cleaning a room after they were moved to the morgue.  Nurses were responsible to clean up bio-waste, but if it was bad, I'd still have a little to clean up and you knew what just happened.  But the euphoria that was shared by the entire ER if they were able to stabilize a very serious case was a great feeling.

3 hours ago, Fox Wismic said:

So nurses throw around 50-60# items continually for all 12 hours? Not any of the few dozen nurses I know. That doesn't mean they have an easy job, but it's not as continually physically strenuous. They probably get to sit down once in a while. And their masks were for a different purpose and were not needed to be worn virtually airtight.

I worked 12 hour shifts for 23 years. Try again.

You're a tool.  

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I always thought working the peds unit would be horrible. It's heartbreaking seeing ill children.

My kid was in UoM’s Mott Children’s Hospital for 10 days due to ecoli, most of that time in PICU, intubated twice and pretty much in a deep sleep for 3 or 4 days.  She had wonderful care.  My wife and I were handled with a delicate mix of matter of fact and compassion.  These people have to deal with very sick children and highly confused and emotional parents.  I have no idea how they do it.  I get pissed off at my job and then think about “our vacation at Mott”.

And those situations are still going on now, at Mott, at other hospitals all over the place.  And now toss COVID on top of it?  I couldn’t fathom working in that atmosphere before, and the situation now has to be so much more draining and stressful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Even though I've had the vaccination and the booster this hasn't been pleasant.  Since I have lung issue my doctor has me set up to get the antibody treatment.  If its this bad with the vaccine I would hate to do this without it.

Wishing you the best. I understand about lung issues. Are you on one of the super expensive prescriptions?

Just received the first shipment, more than twice my mortgage. 

Imagine saying this after leading and profiting from a multiple year public campaign for a 2 class system of state farm rates, including victimizing mr from state farm in multiple ways when he didn't comply with your apartheid.   Hypocrite

29 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Wishing you the best. I understand about lung issues. Are you on one of the super expensive prescriptions?

Just received the first shipment, more than twice my mortgage. 

No regular meds.  I end up taking a steroid when things act up.  I hate the side of effects of them.  I used to be able to take any med without getting side effects.  Now that I'm older I get every side effect listed.  I'm a little uneasy about the monoclonal antibody treatment but from what I can find online it looks safe.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

Sometimes I wish Brandon would make these idiots grovel a little. 

Not Brandon, but the Feds already did:

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/health/2021/12/24/u-s--pauses-shipments-of-2-monoclonal-antibody-treatments-over-ineffectiveness-vs--omicron

Then the CDC just came out and said that 70% Omnicron figure they stated nearly two weeks ago, yeah, It's roughly 50/50 as of a few days ago. Maybe if the CEO of Delta would ask that we keep shipping treatments that have proven to work until they aren't proven to work, that would be great.

42 minutes ago, Fox Wismic said:

"Robert Koch Institute"   hahahaha, you crack me up Fox!

I will say, it's time to stop talking herd mentality.  It appears we can get this with/without the vaccine.  But if you want to increase your chances of beating it drastically, you should still get the vaccine.

It wouldn't be a shock if most of the cases were for the vaccinated for a combinatiom of reasons. (1)  Most people in Germany are vaccinated. (2)  The people who get tested are the same people who get the vaccine.  The antivaxers don't bother getting tested unless they get really sick. 

The key numbers are hospitalizations and deaths for vaccinated versus unvaccinated adjusted for percent vaccinated.  

Edited by Tiger337

18 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Most people in Germany are vaccinated.

71%, to a lowball 62% here. So we are less than 9% away from covid being neutralized, right?

{{antivaxers don't bother getting tested unless they get really sick}}

Usually, no one gets tested for anything when they are not sick.

29 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

My guess is Ann Arbor probably has the best vaccination rate in the State, if not, near the top.  Absurd.

I think Leelenau is higher but yes Washtenaw has the highest vax rate of any large county - and new cases are running at about 175 per 100K, which is much higher than Wash Co has seen at any previous point. Omicron is simply racing through both vaxxed and un-Vaxxed populations. I saw one report from the UK that estimated that the booster no longer prevents someone from becoming infectious in as little as 14 weeks out from receiving it. OTOH, boosted individuals do still appear to have a far lower probability of suffering serious symptoms.

16 hours ago, oblong said:

I want to see a list of everyone who has died from drinking water. 

I'm on one of my "pushing back on pseudoscience kicks," and it has happened, believe it or not. What is interesting is this myth out there that so and so needs to drink 8 gallons of water a day, or whatever... And that just has never been proven. Just buzzwords put out by big plastic bottle that spread on social media.

An interesting bit from this few-years-old 538 article:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tom-brady-is-drowning-in-his-own-junk-science-advice/

"

Moderation in all things, that is, except when it comes to water. “Sometimes I think I’m the most hydrated person in the world,” Brady writes after advising readers to drink at least one half of their body weight in ounces of water every day. “At 225 pounds, that means I should be drinking 112 ounces a day, minimum,” he says. If you don’t drink enough, he claims, you decrease the oxygen in your bloodstream, build up toxins in your cells and create an “unhealthy inner environment,” whatever that means. (Brady also contends that “the more hydrated I am, the less likely I am to get sunburned,” a claim disputed by scientists.)

Water alone isn’t enough, though. Brady also relies on TB12™ Electrolytes, “a natural mineral concentrate that enable athletes to turn any liquid into a hydrating sports drink enriched with 72 trace minerals extracted from sea water.” (Curiously, the product packaging lists only 17 ingredients.) Who doesn’t love guzzling sea-water extract?

Electrolytes, though, aren’t anything special. They’re simply salts and minerals. “They’re brilliant marketing,” exercise scientist Tamara Hew-Butler at Oakland University told me. Sodium and potassium are the major ones we need, and your body maintains stores of them that it can tap into as needed to protect your body’s normal functioning. “You have a lot of redundancy in the feedback systems to protect their levels,” she said. Unless you’re exercising continuously in excess of 18 hours or more, you normally make up for any loss through the food you eat in your next meal. Despite all the hoopla about their presence in sports drinks and fancy bottled waters, there’s no need to take them in supplements or some special formula.2

Drinking excessive amounts of water when you’re not thirsty isn’t just dumb, it’s dangerous, because it can produce a potentially fatal condition called hyponatremia, or “water intoxication.” Despite the marketing campaigns of bottled water makers and sports drink manufacturers, there’s no good science to show that athletes or anyone else needs to drink beyond thirst, which is your body’s natural way of telling you to drink, just like hunger means you need to eat. But there’s plenty of good evidence that drinking too much can kill you. Hyponatremia happens when the blood becomes dangerously diluted, which can lead to symptoms that look a lot like dehydration — such as fatigue, headache, confusion and weakness. In the most serious cases, it can provoke brain swelling, coma and even death. I have been unable to find a single case of a football player collapsing and dying from dehydration on the field,3 but at least two high school football players have died from hyponatremia. Yet Brady says that underhydration is a greater problem than overhydration."

9 hours ago, Fox Wismic said:

71%, to a lowball 62% here. So we are less than 9% away from covid being neutralized, right?

{{antivaxers don't bother getting tested unless they get really sick}}

Usually, no one gets tested for anything when they are not sick.

Sure they do.  People that work at places where vaccines and testing are required get tested all the time.