Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

8 hours ago, buddha said:

chicago cancels school as teachers vote not to return to work in the classrooms because of covid concerns.

I get why but these kids are getting an underwhelming education. From my experience with remote learning most kids just check out unless you have a parent riding your ass.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I get why but these kids are getting an underwhelming education. From my experience with remote learning most kids just check out unless you have a parent riding your ass.

remote learning is terrible.  most of the kids dont pay attention.

we had remote kindergarten last year.  total joke.

• Like 1

I had the antibody treatment on Monday morning.  They told me 24 to 48 hours later I should start to feel better.  You could almost set you watch by it because yesterday I started feeling better and again today much better.  I was hesitant to get it but glad I did now.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Archie said:

I had the antibody treatment on Monday morning.  They told me 24 to 48 hours later I should start to feel better.  You could almost set you watch by it because yesterday I started feeling better and again today much better.  I was hesitant to get it but glad I did now.

Glad to hear you are getting better. Why were you hesitant? My wife says there is a window when the infusion works, if you wait to long you get too sick and it don't work. She said most of the anti-vaxxers are in her ICU because of that. There are a BUNCH who refuse it. Hard to feel sorry for someone like that.....

46 minutes ago, Archie said:

glad you were able to get it because I understand there's a shortage.

27 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Glad to hear you are getting better. Why were you hesitant? My wife says there is a window when the infusion works, if you wait to long you get too sick and it don't work. She said most of the anti-vaxxers are in her ICU because of that. There are a BUNCH who refuse it. Hard to feel sorry for someone like that.....

Just a personal phobia.  I'm not what you would call anti-vaxxer or anything like.  I don't like to take medicine or drugs if I don't have to.    

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

glad you were able to get it because I understand there's a shortage.

Thank you.  The nurse at the hospital told me about the shortages.  You need to have enough "red flags" to get on the list for the treatment.  Unfortunately I had several of those red flags.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

Yeah, it's bad.  The only people it might work for is wealthy families where someone can stay at home and focus on their child's learning all day.  

On 1/3/2022 at 10:12 PM, Jim Cowan said:

There's a hockey player who tested positive today, but they didn't say it was omicron.  He had Covid last year, and he is triple vaxxed.

It takes a while to be able to test which variant someone may have, I think. And they don't test every positive person's variant. I think. 

3 hours ago, buddha said:

I would say the younger the student, the less effective remote learning would be.

I altered my work schedule and worked remotely last year from November through a week or two into January last year when the kids' district went on full remote.  The eldest (8th grade) would have been fine for the most part, their online schedules were pretty active.  The youngest (4th grade), nope, no way.  I can't imagine kindergarten being full remote.

33 minutes ago, casimir said:

I would say the younger the student, the less effective remote learning would be.

I altered my work schedule and worked remotely last year from November through a week or two into January last year when the kids' district went on full remote.  The eldest (8th grade) would have been fine for the most part, their online schedules were pretty active.  The youngest (4th grade), nope, no way.  I can't imagine kindergarten being full remote.

my 13 year old was fine.  but she wasnt learning as much and there were a ton of distractions.  most of the boys in her class - being boys - werent paying much attention.  then i make her read books outside of class and she hates me.  the four hour napoleon documentary didnt go over well either.

being in person provides them with socialization chances too.  that's really important.  we usually bring a couple of her classmates over for remote learning "pods" just so she can be with friends.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

my 13 year old was fine.  but she wasnt learning as much and there were a ton of distractions.  most of the boys in her class - being boys - werent paying much attention.  then i make her read books outside of class and she hates me.  the four hour napoleon documentary didnt go over well either.

being in person provides them with socialization chances too.  that's really important.  we usually bring a couple of her classmates over for remote learning "pods" just so she can be with friends.

Oh, I’m not saying my oldest got the same out of remote as if she were in person.  But it was fine for two months in a pandemic where there was no vaccine or cure at the time.