Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I doubt Alexa would understand what I am saying.  I have a terrible voice especially when speaking casually.  I just calculated 137 x 18 in my head, but I usually use an old fashioned calculator.  

This is how I did it:

137*10 = 1370

100*8 = 800

8*30 = 240

8*7 = 56

Took me about 20 seconds

30 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I doubt Alexa would understand what I am saying.  I have a terrible voice especially when speaking casually.  I just calculated 137 x 18 in my head, but I usually use an old fashioned calculator.  

I imagine you to have a thick Boston accent? Derick Jeeeetah

Edited by Tigeraholic1

35 minutes ago, oblong said:

This is how I did it:

137*10 = 1370

100*8 = 800

8*30 = 240

8*7 = 56

Took me about 20 seconds

First time sitting down with my son doing common core math and I read the explanation and was lost, then looked at the example and thought 'oh shit, this is how I always did it in my head and then had to fudge some numbers on the worksheet in order to get credit for it'.

34 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

We hired an executive from Boston and I have a weekly conference call with her and she has a thick Boston accent and it's the worst thing imaginable. 

nothing is worse than a deep minnesota accent.  makes you sound so stupid.  hard core boston and new york accents are funny to me.

wicked yahd in woos-tah.

i spent two weeks in worcester on trial once.  love that accent.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I imagine you to have a thick Boston accent? Derick Jeeeetah

yes, it's amazing that I became a Tigah fan.  Most educated people learn how to speak with a more neutral accent, but I kept my Massachusetts accent.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

First time sitting down with my son doing common core math and I read the explanation and was lost, then looked at the example and thought 'oh shit, this is how I always did it in my head and then had to fudge some numbers on the worksheet in order to get credit for it'.

yeah, that's also how I think when I do calculations in my head.  I think most people do it that way if they ever try it.   The thing that is good about thinking that way from a young age is that you are using a logical algorithm.  You are being taught to think about things in a logical way which will help you in higher level math.  

21 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm happy with my Michigan accent because I can go to the grocery store and buy all the melk I want from Meijers and then drive home comfortably in my Fords.

For a stupid party trick, put a person from Michigan next to someone from out east  - say Philly, and have them say "Mary", "Merry", and "Marry" in sequence.

10 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I did it this way

137 * 10 = 1370

1370 * 2  = 2740

2740 - 274 = 2466

You did that in your head?  I would have gotten hung up on the final calculation.

I'm that way with years now... after 2020 hit If you ask me what year was 34 years ago I get mixed up.  I still think 1997 was like 10 years ago.

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

yeah, that's also how I think when I do calculations in my head.  I think most people do it that way if they ever try it.   The thing that is good about thinking that way from a young age is that you are using a logical algorithm.  You are being taught to think about things in a logical way which will help you in higher level math.  

I remember on the old forum Biggs pointing out that Common Core as they call it was how you learned in Japan and it helps train engineers.  People who might think they are not good at math were just not taught the right way to think about it.  The goal isn't for you to learn what 12*9 is.... it's to train your brain to do the calculation so that you can do more advanced ones later on.  Don't just memorize it.

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

You did that in your head?  I would have gotten hung up on the final calculation.

I'm that way with years now... after 2020 hit If you ask me what year was 34 years ago I get mixed up.  I still think 1997 was like 10 years ago.

LOL! yeah, I could get to 2740 - 274 easily enough - but then I can't do the subtraction!

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

I remember on the old forum Biggs pointing out that Common Core as they call it was how you learned in Japan and it helps train engineers.  People who might think they are not good at math were just not taught the right way to think about it.  The goal isn't for you to learn what 12*9 is.... it's to train your brain to do the calculation so that you can do more advanced ones later on.  Don't just memorize it.

actually what I think is most important for engineers in terms of arithmetic is to be able to easily estimate orders of magnitude of a result and that is something I don't see much talent for in modern students so I don't think either core math or old math spends much time on it. But what an engineer should able to do is tell you quickly the scale of an answer - IOW just do the exponents, or given two bits of arithmetic, which answer must be bigger than the other without bothering to get the exact numbers. In engineering those are the skills that save you a lot of time doing detailed calculations are going to be dead ends anyway. 

Edited by gehringer_2

michigan accents are really bad.  no offense.  once you leave for a while you can really hear those hard nasally "rs".

my friend is married to a guy from pennsylvania and they always make fun of her michigan accent.  "say ceasar salad!"  and then they all laugh.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

This is how I did it:

137*10 = 1370

100*8 = 800

8*30 = 240

8*7 = 56

Took me about 20 seconds

I would have done 137*20=2740 minus. 137*2 (274). For 2466. For some reason I learned that trick for multiples of 9 at some point.

Also since there is a multiple of 9, always helps to double check that the numbers add up to a multiple of 9.

Edited by Edman85

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm happy with my Michigan accent because I can go to the grocery store and buy all the melk I want from Meijers and then drive home comfortably in my Fords.

So, do people drive Fords or a just a Ford?  Obviously they work at Fords.  My wife complains when I say Meijers and has my kids joining in on mocking me, which is stupid on their part, because we all know it's Meijers.  I've always just assumed they kept the S off to save money and in turn, share those savings with the customer.  That's how I want to believe Fred Meijer would have handled it.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So Ron The Racist DeSantis quashed information about the Covid surge in Florida while tests sat around and expired.   

Very likely our next President...............

This guy has Covid. I'm no doctor, but look at how out of breath he is in this video. This guy is ridiculous.

34 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

So, do people drive Fords or a just a Ford?  Obviously they work at Fords.  My wife complains when I say Meijers and has my kids joining in on mocking me, which is stupid on their part, because we all know it's Meijers.  I've always just assumed they kept the S off to save money and in turn, share those savings with the customer.  That's how I want to believe Fred Meijer would have handled it.

Labatt's in Canada spent a whole bunch of brand image money back in the 1980's, to change the product name from Labatt's to Labatt, on all the corporate logos and beer labels.  Why?  I don't know.  Maybe they thought it sounded more dignified.  Anyway, it didn't work of course.  Everyone still calls it Labatt's.