Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I agree, I don't think it would happen.

The fact that Americans view fellow Americans who disagree with them as bigger adversaries than our actual foreign adversaries or a deadly virus is telling.

Wow, you hit the nail on the head with people right here on this site. There are posters here that are not from the US that post negative things about the US, its policies and elected officials and other posters slap them on the back and agree with them.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Archie said:

Wow, you hit the nail on the head with people right here on this site. There are posters here that are not from the US that post negative things about the US, its policies and elected officials and other posters slap them on the back and agree with them.  

I think you misunderstand my point completely. I'm not talking about criticizing American policy or it's elected officials. That's been going on since the start.

I'm referring to the fact that, at least if social media is the barometer, there is very that binds Americans together anymore. Conservatives appear to hate liberals more than they hate actual hostile foreign actors (Russia, China, etc.), and liberals just hate on conservatives like that as well. And the elected officials you refer to (ie. the MTGs and Ted Cruz' of the world) are more than happy to egg it on and divide.

13 minutes ago, Archie said:

If what they say is right, then sure I'll agree with them.  Why not?  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Also, there is nothing wrong with criticizing government officials or government policy. Hell, I see that every single day from Republicans toward the current administration. It doesn't make people "anti-American". 

What worries me though is that, unlike the past, people don't drop their sabers on things of collective interest in the way they did in the past. Today it's the virus, but what happens if we end up in a shooting war? That's what Rob was getting at in his post about rations, and just when I take a look at social media, it just seems to me like partisans (yes Archie, including conservatives) seem to hate people on the opposite side of the political debate more than they hate our actual adversaries or more than they hate a deadly virus.

I don't think it's as bad off line, but on the internet? Everything is just toxic as hell.

44 minutes ago, Archie said:

blame-canada-south-park.gif

28 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I guess I'm a team player.  I'm against almost everything the Biden admin and the dems are doing.  They're kind of like our villiage idiots but they're OUR village idiots.  I wouldn't work with or agree with any foreigner to work against my country. 

So what you are saying is its OK to work with another country to go against the US as long as they support your opinion.  

19 minutes ago, Archie said:

I guess I'm a team player.  I'm against almost everything the Biden admin and the dems are doing.  They're kind of like our villiage idiots but they're OUR village idiots.  I wouldn't work with or agree with any foreigner to work against my country. 

So what you are saying is its OK to work with another country to go against the US as long as they support your opinion.  

I am talking about individuals having opinions, not countries working against each other  

One example:  I think our gun laws are too lax.  If some random guy from Canada says that our gun laws are too lax, I'll agree with him.  If some random guy from the United States says we need more guns on the streets, I'll disagree with him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archie said:

You're welcome!  You're right next door for Pete's sake, pretty hard to ignore, and an extremely negative influence on the number of illegal guns in this country.  If one has to be a citizen of a country in order to criticize it, let me know when you become Chinese.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Archie said:

Really. I'm sure the board's resident Canadian and the most civil member of this board are "working against the US" by happening to have similar opinions.

Jesus, give it a rest.

2 hours ago, Archie said:

What does “going against the US” mean because I have it on good authority that to 40% of the voting public and nearly half our federal legislature that it’s not the US they are in support of but rather a guy who was on a TV show in the mid aughts.  If the interests of the former guy and the US collide they are aligning with the orange fella. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pfife said:

The PBS News hour just told me that today 146k people were hospitalized with covid which is a record.     

Is this in line with what Sotomayor said?

She was referring to kids, the exact quote:

"We have over 100,000 children, which we’ve never had before, in serious condition, and many on ventilators"

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2022/jan/07/sonia-sotomayor/fact-checking-sotomayor-kids-severe-covid-19/

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

She was referring to kids, the exact quote:

"We have over 100,000 children, which we’ve never had before, in serious condition, and many on ventilators"

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2022/jan/07/sonia-sotomayor/fact-checking-sotomayor-kids-severe-covid-19/

thanks archie said once about kids and then once not about kids so I didn't know

it seems like maybe she just messed up her stats