Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm old enough to remember a situation where a male democrat was holding up vital work in critically balanced Senate and not being criticized for it because he was a man, but I don't.

Are you referring to Manchin?  If so, he was elected and showed up.  Fienstein is not able to do her job, essentially her unelected office has been acting on her behalf for at least a year, likely longer.  Instead of the democratic party dealing with that, they are playing 'good ole boys network' and protecting her.  As a result, changes they can make that they all want to make (federal judges) are being held up.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm old enough to remember a situation where a male democrat was holding up vital work in critically balanced Senate and not being criticized for it because he was a man, but I don't.

If you're talking about Manchin, plenty of people were criticizing him. AOC immediately comes to mind. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Even if Feinstein resigns, Republicans will block her replacement on the committee. The only option is she has to show up. 

They were talking about this on Pod Save America yesterday and saying that Tom Cotton already came out and said Republicans will not allow a temporary replacement for her, nor will Republicans as a whole be in any hurry to allow an appointment to replace her on the committee. They were basically saying what you said, either she shows up to the Senate or it remains vacant.

43 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If you're talking about Manchin, plenty of people were criticizing him. AOC immediately comes to mind. 

no - - sort of backhand syntax there -  I meant it has never happened to my memory. IOW those claiming sexism don't actually have a very comparable situation. May have been some around Teddy K but it wasn't this split and at the end it was  clear it wasn't going to be much of a wait for him to pass.

Infirmaty hasn't been Manchin's issue, just intransigence - no comparison there.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

She needs to resign completely so a new Dem can be appointed so they have a majority to make a new committee assignment.

MB said if she resigns the GOP said they still won't let her on, I guess that refers to resigning the committee and not teh Senate?  I assume if she resigns from the Senate then the dems can fill the seat.

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

MB said if she resigns the GOP said they still won't let her on, I guess that refers to resigning the committee and not teh Senate?  I assume if she resigns from the Senate then the dems can fill the seat.

I've read multiple trustworthy people say there needs to be 60 votes to replace her on the comitte even in the event of resignation and the Republicans will block it. I assumed the Democrats would have been able to just fill her seat. 

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I've read multiple trustworthy people say there needs to be 60 votes to replace her on the comitte even in the event of resignation and the Republicans will block it. I assumed the Democrats would have been able to just fill her seat. 

Even if she resigns the Senate?  

man the Senate is stupid with their 60 vote rules.  That's based on old precedent that they were a more "deliberative" body and serious rather than a clown show.

Of course if the situation was reversed the Dems would be nice and genteel and vote for a replacement.  The GOP plays hardball.  Not the dems.  They think it's 1985 still. 

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

Wait... what's the process that allows a minority party to control assignments to a committee when a member resigns?

I can't go too deep into the weeds as I don't know the exact rules that pertain to the Senate, but once a committee is set, you need either 60 votes to replace and/or add a senator to a committee.   

The GOP is being told she's a senator in good standing and will be back anytime.  They won't support her leaving the committee to bring someone else in.

If she resigns as a senator, Newsom can pick a replacement to finish her term. 

As the majority in the Senate, i'm not sure if the majority leader can just assign someone to replace her in the committee without that vote or not, but the GOP would have to allow the Dems to select someone.

Newsom already said he would nominate a black women, so Barbara Lee would likely get picked and would have an edge going into the next election which Katie Porter already said she was running for.  My guess is the democratic party doesn't want to get in the way of Lee and Porter and would like the state to determine who is Senator come 2024 and doesn't want to be seen as playing favorites.

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

Even if she resigns the Senate?  

man the Senate is stupid with their 60 vote rules.  That's based on old precedent that they were a more "deliberative" body and serious rather than a clown show.

Of course if the situation was reversed the Dems would be nice and genteel and vote for a replacement.  The GOP plays hardball.  Not the dems.  They think it's 1985 still. 

I don't believe you need 60 to make a committee assignment. It's a case where even if there some kind of rule a simple majority can suspend the rules for a single action. It's a case where there are rules about the rules I guess. But as long no-one is voting that seat they can't even do a rule suspension.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just dug up some more info... so Schiff is interested as well and Pelosi has endorsed him already.  That explains why she went after Khanna as she doesn't want any attention on this situation and is hoping Feinstein can stay through to the end of her term.  Schiff has a cash lead over Lee and Porter, hence he's got a pretty good shot at the open seat.  A little tougher path if he's running up against an incumbent Lee.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm not sure why Newsome wouldn't just pick someone like Barbara Boxer as a placeholder. Someone you know won't be running again and won't influence the election. California has already been represented by a black woman so I'm not sure why he has to play these identity politics. 

But Newsom already made the pledge and has eyes on the WH himself.  He'll be pounded on by progressives if he goes back on that pledge.

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't believe you need 60 to make a committee assignment. It's a case where even if there some kind of rule a simple majority can suspend the rules for a single action. It's a case where there are rules about the rules I guess. But as long no-one is voting that seat they can't even do a rule suspension.

Do you trust Manchin and/or Sinema to suspend the rule?

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Sinema has a vacuum between the ears, I wouldn't guess what idiocy she might come up with, but I don't see how it benefits Manchin for the Senate to gridlock on his plate.

Given how red West Virginia is, gridlocking the liberals can have its benefits there. With Feinstein unable to vote, Democrats only have 50 votes so one of Sinema or Manchin defecting blows the whole thing up.