Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Fox News fired some of their extremists today including Dan Bongino.  I remember a friend on facebook begging followers to read his link to Bongino.  I went to the link and it only took me 15 seconds to figure out he was a grifter.  

Isn't he the one who took over for Rush Limbaugh who set us on our current course 30 years ago? 

11 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Elon … He’s weird. Or actually, since he is crazy rich, I guess we have to call him “eccentric“. WTF.

He's a fascist. Lebron James and Stephen King have been critical of Musk and said they would never pay for Twitter so he is giving them checkmarks to make it look like they are hypocrites. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He's a fascist. Lebron James and Stephen King have been critical of Musk and said they would never pay for Twitter so he is giving them checkmarks to make it look like they are hypocrites. 

He’s a rich asshole. 

14 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

So Tusk is essentially admitting out loud that he is using the checkmark system to reward people he likes (like Lebron) and punish those he doesn’t (like NYT and NPR). Yup, totally normal public company business practice. Where do I go to buy stock in that?

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So Tusk is essentially admitting out loud that he is using the checkmark system to reward people he likes (like Lebron) and punish those he doesn’t (like NYT and NPR). Yup, totally normal public company business practice. Where do I go to buy stock in that?

He doesn't like Lebron. Lebron has been critical and said he would not pay for the checkmark. Once the checkmark was removed from verified accounts, people were calling Lebron a liar and a hypocrite because he still had the checkmark. That's what Musk wanted but of course that narrative fell apart. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

He doesn't like Lebron. Lebron has been critical and said he would not pay for the checkmark. Once the checkmark was removed from verified accounts, people were calling Lebron a liar and a hypocrite because he still had the checkmark. That's what Musk wanted but of course that narrative fell apart. 

Again, totally normal public company behavior. I’d like to order 100 shares, please.

35 minutes ago, oblong said:

yep. It meant "listen to this person, they are legit"

Now it means "this person's a fraud who is to be ignored"

52 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

It used to be that the blue checkmark was to verify a celebrity so you know they aren’t an imposter. Now the blue checkmark likely means you are a white supremacist with 20 followers. What a joke. 

Can't it also be that "our algorithm believes this crackpot's posts will generate the most hostile reaction thereby generating the most views for our advertisers" 

Musk was trapped because he probably was drunk when he said he'd buy twitter for $44B and was joking when he did it, but then his lawyers told him he was screwed.  So now he's in charge and the revenue isn't what he needs it to be.  He sees journalists and others using the site to promote their works and tried to get a piece.  His ego forced him into fights and grievances and won't let him back down. He misunderstood the value of the original blue check. It's not unusual to offer up some perks to users who want a better experience somehow but $8 a month is too much.  If he made it something like $2 he might have gotten some bites, I am giving that much to a couple of patreons who run podcasts on niche topics I listen to and I figure it's my way of thanking them.  They're not getting anything from advertising.

He might be able to turn twitter into something profitable but it won't be the same site it used to be. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, oblong said:

Musk was trapped because he probably was drunk when he said he'd buy twitter for $44B and was joking when he did it, but then his lawyers told him he was screwed.  So now he's in charge and the revenue isn't what he needs it to be.  He sees journalists and others using the site to promote their works and tried to get a piece.  His ego forced him into fights and grievances and won't let him back down. He misunderstood the value of the original blue check. It's not unusual to offer up some perks to users who want a better experience somehow but $8 a month is too much.  If he made it something like $2 he might have gotten some bites, I am giving that much to a couple of patreons who run podcasts on niche topics I listen to and I figure it's my way of thanking them.  They're not getting anything from advertising.

He might be able to turn twitter into something profitable but it won't be the same site it used to be. 

Long story short. It’s all about his ego.

59 minutes ago, oblong said:

Musk was trapped because he ...

And he appears to have reached his level of imcompetence as well. Musk has been involved with a number of businesses but they were all arms length from their customers in an important way. You sell a Tesla, the customer basically drives off - they don't continue to interact with the company in the use of the product. You made a paypal purchase it was nothing more than a computer widget to the user - use it and put it down till next time. SpaceX doesn't even have 'public' customers in any meaninful sense. Twitter appears to be the first time he's been involved in business that is customer rather than product driven, and he seems to have no clue how to manage a customer base on a ongoing basis.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

And he appears to have reached his level of imcompetence as well. Musk has been involved with a number of businesses but they were all arms length from their customers in an important way. You sell a Tesla, the customer basically drives off - they don't continue to interact with the company in the use of the product. You made a paypal purchase it was nothing more than a computer widget to the user - use it and put it down till next time. SpaceX doesn't even have 'public' customers in any meaninful sense. Twitter appears to be the first time he's been involved in business that is customer rather than product driven, and he seems to have no clue how to manage a customer base on a ongoing basis.

My thing about the guy, and why the comparisons to Trump are sort of valid, is that no matter how often he messes it up with Twitter or his other ventures or how often he lets his ego show in how he deals with things that don't go right in his world, he is fully backed up by his creepy cult that runs to his defense and tells the rest of how "ackshully, Elon's a genius and you just aren't smart enough to see his brilliance".

He has his wealth, and with that wealth comes influence.... but wealth is no substitute for common sense or humility. Of which he appears to have neither.

Edited by mtutiger