Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I'm so conservative that I'm still stuck in conservative views from years past where 'cancel culture' sucks.  That said, I do feel like this bud light one is a bit different.  It's one thing not to like a direction a company takes, but when the only communication you get out of the company is that it's core consumer is ****ty, I don't understand how they are surprised about losing so many.

To take this on a product point and not a political point, I'll point to GM.  They are planning on moving forward without ApplePlay and the Android equivalent.  They are gambling their replacement will win over consumers.  At least GM didn't claim their replacement will be so much better because Apple and Android users are sheep that are content with whatever crap is shoveled to them.

It's very possible I missed something about Bud Light but what did they do to suggest their core consumer is "****ty"?  From my understanding all they did was send a can of bud light to a trans influencer who then posted about it online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'll take you at your word when you say that you've always felt that way, but conservatives have largely failed to "walk the walk" on this stuff for a long long time.

I'm old enough to remember the Iraq War, for instance.... conservatives didn't call it "cancel culture" back then because they were the ones doing the "canceling"

The Dixie Chicks in 2003 say hello Travis Tritt

The right wingers have always been about cancel culture. In some cases they can't even keep it straight on where we are supposed to shop or consume.

49 minutes ago, oblong said:

It's very possible I missed something about Bud Light but what did they do to suggest their core consumer is "****ty"?  From my understanding all they did was send a can of bud light to a trans influencer who then posted about it online.

Thank you—I was going to ask for the example of how they said their core customer is "****ty".

3 hours ago, oblong said:

The marketing VP was interviewed before it completely blew up and she talked about how the brand is dying and she used every left wing buzzword to talk about how they needed to be inclusive to expand the businesses.  She mentioned Bud Light was 'fratty' and had out of touch humor and they needed to get beyond that.  

When that interview went viral, instead of trying to clarify or anything, they just buried their head in the sand hoping everything would pass, it allowed that message to be amplified.  It's one thing to hold your own customers in contempt and think they are ****ty people, probably not a good idea to openly speak about it though.

For full disclosuer, while I don't like Bud Light beer, I am one of those ****ty people that usually got a chuckle out of Bud Light commercials.

52 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

At least Stan participated in the discourse. This incarnation is just boring. 

I don't even understand the point of the last post...

Like, yeah, no **** the NYTimes is dumb and out of touch.... a lot of people on the liberal side of the spectrum would agree these days lol

Edited by mtutiger

You believe that calling the brand "fratty" is ****ting on the consumers and that's what prompted the outrage?  It wasn't being nice to the trans person?  Like if she didn't say that on the podcast it would have been cool?

If anything the reaction, which included bomb threats, supports the idea, which the VP didn't express, is that the Tritts, Kid Rocks, and Ben Shapiro's of the world are indeed ****ty people.

I don't know why you defend that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I don't even understand the point of the last post...

Like, yeah, no **** the NYTimes is dumb and out of touch.... a lot of people on the liberal side of the spectrum would agree these days lol

We were posting the NYTimes Pitchbot tweets for a reason lol

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

You believe that calling the brand "fratty" is ****ting on the consumers and that's what prompted the outrage?  It wasn't being nice to the trans person?  Like if she didn't say that on the podcast it would have been cool?

If anything the reaction, which included bomb threats, supports the idea, which the VP didn't express, is that the Tritts, Kid Rocks, and Ben Shapiro's of the world are indeed ****ty people.

I don't know why you defend that.

I didn't really see the major backlash until that interview started to go viral.  IDK, maybe i'm just a ****ty human being myself.  I do laugh at Dave Chappelle, so obviously i'm as transphobic as they come so I probably should have added that for full disclosure.  

I'm not a marketing major, but i'd think if you've created the best selling beer in America with stupid but fun humor and even as craft beer took down your share, you still outperformed all other beers, maybe you don't say you need to change your ways as that marketing doesn't allow you to be inclusive.  Maybe something like, we want to remain true to our core, while inviting others in to enjoy our style of humor as well.  Doesn't seem so hard, but who knows.

44 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

but i'd think if you've created the best selling beer in America with stupid but fun humor and even as craft beer took down your share, you still outperformed all other beers, maybe you don't say you need to change your ways as that marketing doesn't allow you to be inclusive. 

Beer is a tough market. Brand loyalty is really thin, with food and drink there is always a tendency for people to get bored of doing the same thing, and of course major corporate management today is too greedy to just be satisfied to coast along with any normal ebb and flow of market share. So not surprised they were willing to make a drastic marketing shift, maybe surprised they hadn't pretested it better. Even if you believe they were shifting for purely principled reasons (does anyone?), you then have an obligation to  be sure you help your cause rather than hurt it.

Edited by gehringer_2

47 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I didn't really see the major backlash until that interview started to go viral.  IDK, maybe i'm just a ****ty human being myself.  I do laugh at Dave Chappelle, so obviously i'm as transphobic as they come so I probably should have added that for full disclosure.  

I'm not a marketing major, but i'd think if you've created the best selling beer in America with stupid but fun humor and even as craft beer took down your share, you still outperformed all other beers, maybe you don't say you need to change your ways as that marketing doesn't allow you to be inclusive.  Maybe something like, we want to remain true to our core, while inviting others in to enjoy our style of humor as well.  Doesn't seem so hard, but who knows.

You have the timeline wrong.

They gave a beer to a trans person.

Bigots went ape **** because they don't want "fags drinking our beer too"

The marketing person explained their rationale of wanting to reach other consumers.

Bigots complained more about being called bigots.

I guess the fault is believing their core customers were better people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

The interview happened after the backlash started.

• Like 1

With all the TGOP anti woke stuff lately I was wondering if our resident anti gay/trans folk would like to explain the popularity of country stars of the past like Porter Wagoner, George Jones, Roy Rodgers, Gram Parsons, etc

Rather than dressing like they just repaired their John Deere

17 hours ago, pfife said:

The interview happened after the backlash started.

The interview happened before the backlash started, it went viral after.

I'm not going to argue exact timelines as it's not black and white.  Some backlash had started, IMO though, when her interview comes out (virally) and it takes Bud light another few weeks to just come out with a generic "we didn't mean to be part of the divide", it helped ensure the backlash persisted and intensified.

Edited by ewsieg

Oh so you declare the timeline followed by a declaration that the timeline isn't black and white.   So needless to say I'm sold and this is all libs and Biden that caused it.  Sorry to bother you from contradicting yourself elsewhere

Edited by pfife

Articles abound saying she addressed the outrage in the interview but maybe it was her predicting outrage and addressing her predicted outrage since outrage didn't exist before the interview or maybe it's just super hard and confusing 20230725_094314.thumb.jpg.c06c288bdad9208786f065e470967e02.jpg