Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

well - good. And a direct contradiction of his previous stated policy.

This is one more nail in McCarthy's coffin with the non-freedom caucus majority of this membership who know it's not going to help them get re-elected. While it's still pretty unlikely, moves like this by McCarthy only improve the chance of a centrist majority ultimately taking over the House before the end of Biden's term.

What would be hilarious is if Biden came out and said that he has decided not to run for reelection.  All the time and effort Republicans have put into these attacks on Hunter would instantly go up in smoke.   Whoever stepped up to take the lead of the party would moonwalk to the presidency. 

3 minutes ago, MIguy said:

What would be hilarious is if Biden came out and said that he has decided not to run for reelection.  All the time and effort Republicans have put into these attacks on Hunter would instantly go up in smoke.   Whoever stepped up to take the lead of the party would moonwalk to the presidency. 

The Dems needed a solid caretaker centrist to achieve democracy saving effects in 2020.  The primary process is designed (badly) to create early state chaos.   Chaos is not what we need at this point.   Nobody should be thinking "well, Elizabeth Warren seems to want to nationalize the banks, I'd better vote for Putin's preferred candidate who will demolish any artifice of the Rule of Law"

If it weren't for needing to hold Wisconsin in the Senate, I think Tammy Baldwin would be the best choice as our nominee. She checks the diversity/equity box as she is an openly lesbian woman and would be not only be the first woman as President but the first member of the LGBTQ community. She is progressive and supports many of the values and policies of the left (M4A, Green New Deal, voted against the Iraq War, ending the filibuster, etc.) without appearing as radical as a Bernie Sanders. Baldwin would have broader appeal than most left wing candidates for voters in the center, while still holding true to values that would help turn out progressives and young people. Most importantly, she knows how to win and win big in purple state races. She has won twice, by comfortable margins, in her Senate races in the purple state of Wisconsin. If it weren't for the need to keep that seat this year in the Senate, I think Baldwin should be the nominee.

I think a Tammy Baldwin/Cory Booker ticket or an all women ticket with Tammy Baldwin/Gretchen Whitmer ticket would be great.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

6 hours ago, romad1 said:

The Red States are not ready for a Sparty lady.  But, I'd sure love to see her being their boss.  

Not sure I would promote the Sparty connection. Outside of michigan listing to sports radio. They were talking today about not wanting their kids to go there because campus is full of thugs and rapists (speaking to some poll taken). I would vote for Whitmer and Buttigieg personally.

Buttigieg is very smart and explains things very well. If the voting public were interested in competence and not drama he would be a slam dunk 

Harris isn’t popular. That stinks because I really believe if she said she wouldn’t be on the ticket and wanted to be a senator again then Biden would announce he isn’t running. That would open things up. I think Biden is running in part because of Harris. If he doesn’t then he has to support her and he doesn’t think she has a chance to win. 

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

Buttigieg is very smart and explains things very well. If the voting public were interested in competence and not drama he would be a slam dunk 

Harris isn’t popular. That stinks because I really believe if she said she wouldn’t be on the ticket and wanted to be a senator again then Biden would announce he isn’t running. That would open things up. I think Biden is running in part because of Harris. If he doesn’t then he has to support her and he doesn’t think she has a chance to win. 

I think that's a big part of the equation. In a perfect world where DJT was disqualified from running for whatever reason I could see Biden step aside and possibly endorse a Klobuchar/Buttigeig ticket. They were the two candidates who stepped aside in 2020 to finally clear the way for Biden. Give Harris a prominent role in the cabinet. 

Not my idea but one I heard recently on the former Thomas Jefferson Hour podcast . Once again in a perfect world in that galaxy far far away Biden would offer to pardon Trump if he voluntarily drops out of the race. in return Biden would do the same.

But alas, it's not 1974...

On 9/10/2023 at 12:35 AM, Jim Cowan said:

Well yeah the picture is great, but watching it on Youtube it seemed like the people who were extending the middle finger were pretty silent because they were afraid to get the **** beaten out of them.  The audio files don't contain even a hint of booing.  Lots and lots of cheering though.

My only point is that the media that breathlessly reports that Trump got an "unexpected response" were hoping to see something that wasn't really there.

yup, he is still very much loved by the majority of Republicans and those that don't love him constantly make excuses for him.  He is dominating all the primary polls, not just those paid for by Republicans.   

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Not my idea but one I heard recently on the former Thomas Jefferson Hour podcast . Once again in a perfect world in that galaxy far far away Biden would offer to pardon Trump if he voluntarily drops out of the race. in return Biden would do the same.

I don't have to tell you what would happen in that scenario.  Trump would not dop out of the race, but would still expect a pardon and spend the next four years calling Biden (who stole two elections) a liar for not pardoning him.     

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't have to tell you what would happen in that scenario.  Trump would not dop out of the race, but would still expect a pardon and spend the next four years calling Biden (who stole two elections) a liar for not pardoning him.     

True, Trump would/will never admit guilt. After all it’s hard to be humble (and truthful) when you expect everything to be handed to you on a gilded platter

11 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I think that's a big part of the equation. In a perfect world where DJT was disqualified from running for whatever reason I could see Biden step aside and possibly endorse a Klobuchar/Buttigeig ticket. They were the two candidates who stepped aside in 2020 to finally clear the way for Biden. Give Harris a prominent role in the cabinet. 

I think I would actually be excited about a Klobuchar/Buttigeig ticket.  You get competance with Klobuchar and potential with Buttigeig.  I think this Transportation gig exposed that he was still pretty green behind the ears, but in terms of a communicator, I don't think there are many better than him.  In time, he should be the face of the party.

This is a good point as to why maybe some cave in or retire....

People are crazy.  I can only imagine what it's like for low level people, like say election workers.  Imagine someone here gets appointed to some commission that 5 years ago nobody even knew existed. Now confronted with MAGA and Tucker mentiones your name and your phone number and address gets linked.... that's nuts.  

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, oblong said:

This is a good point as to why maybe some cave in or retire....

People are crazy.  I can only imagine what it's like for low level people, like say election workers.  Imagine someone here gets appointed to some commission that 5 years ago nobody even knew existed. Now confronted with MAGA and Tucker mentiones your name and your phone number and address gets linked.... that's nuts.  

Yep. Romney is fortunate in that he’s super wealthy, but what happens when normal people can’t afford this? It’s no wonder our government is so jacked up. 

Edited by Tigerbomb13