Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Is this actually legal?

But then when to Performance MAGAs actually care about rule of law

In 2012 (Arizona vs US) Scotus ruled States have virtually no external immigration control authority apart from the Federal Government.  Abbot will have to get another case to the court to try for any different result. States have always been constitutionally barred from enforcing any kind of state controls on interstate travel.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

In 2012 (Arizona vs US) Scotus ruled States have virtually no external immigration control authority apart from the Federal Government.  Abbot will have to get another case to the court to try for any different result. States have always been constitutionally barred from enforcing any kind of state controls on interstate travel.

Yes, but it seems there is a chance that the brownshirt majority on the current court would give Abbott the ruling he needs to be able to build a border wall between Texas and New Mexico.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Not just to keep the undocs from coming in, but also to keep Texas girls seeking abortions from going out. 

Can we skip to the part where the US Army liberates the young girls and their doctors from camps run by the secessionist Texans?

51 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Get the popcorn ready as the MAGAP begins to implode

Edit

I'd love to see MTG, Gym, and a couple others added to the group

Gaetz would have moved to vacate the Speakership immediately after the CR vote but they were ready for him and adjourned before he could be recognized to speak. My question would be whether even if they find a way to expel Gaetz, someone else from the wacko-right doesn't move to vacate anyway.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I would normally say I think it's hilarious they are building appeals to convert your retirement completely to gold through particular companies right within their content, but I can't because people of modest intelligence and means will be hurt by that.

I'm not sure which one would be funnier, Democrats sitting out the vote and watching Gaetz crash and burn or voting to remove McCarthy and then sitting back watching Republicans fight among themselves trying to get enough votes to confirm a new Speaker.  

3 hours ago, MIguy said:

I'm not sure which one would be funnier, Democrats sitting out the vote and watching Gaetz crash and burn or voting to remove McCarthy and then sitting back watching Republicans fight among themselves trying to get enough votes to confirm a new Speaker.  

The 2nd one.

Gaetz gets burned in the second scenario as well.

I think the more time that goes by, the more Dems will remember all the reasons they don't care if McCarthy goes down. If Gaetz had gotten his vote immediately after the deal there might have been enough good feeling about the deal made for Dems to think about saving him. I think that's already fading.

Of course it still hinges as much on what the Dems can see as the outcome after a McCarthy 'vacation.'  (That is what you get if you are 'vacated', amirite?  :classic_laugh:)

Edited by gehringer_2

In terms of governance, the only concession the Dems should demand for McCarthy to keep his job is an end to the Hastert rule (and a pledge neither party will ever bring it back). If something has majority support, it passes, regardless if it's with a minority of the majority party. That rule has done more to screw up US governance than any other single thing besides maybe Citizen's United and corporate campaign money.

Edited by gehringer_2