Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

This is skeevy

There needs to be an investigation into his sweetheart deal arranged by the former labor secretary with help from Ken Starr, and I think Bill Barr too.  This happened late in the Bush admin.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, oblong said:

There needs to be an investigation into his sweetheart deal arranged by the former labor secretary with help from Ken Starr, and I think Bill Barr too.  This happened late in the Bush admin.

Concur

The story out of Russia that Navalny's mother has not been allowed to take away her son's body for burial SHOULD hit the feels of all the self-described Christians in the GOP.   The Pieta happens to be one of the most sacred images in the entire Christian canon. 

Jesus is taken down from the cross and restored to his mother. … stock ...

La Pieta Statue Mary Holding Jesus, White 15cm High Plaster, Made in Italy

I'm just saying. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

The story out of Russia that Navalny's mother has not been allowed to take away her son's body for burial SHOULD hit the feels of all the self-described Christians in the GOP.   The Pieta happens to be one of the most sacred images in the entire Christian canon. 

I'm just saying. 

You'd think it would hit the feels of any self-professed "small government" conservative given how decidedly "big government" the idea of not turning over the remains to the family and the government keeping possession of them is.

But I've given up on ideological consistency at this point. lol

Edited by mtutiger

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

I'm just saying. 

I don’t think this story, or this kind of iconography, resonates with the evangelicals, who make up the plurality of red hats, at all. Evangelicals don’t believe in any special status for Mary: that she was a perpetual virgin; that she was raised into heaven via the Assumption; that she was immaculately conceived and sinless while on Earth; or that she should be venerated or even prayed to as the Queen of Heaven. In fact, praying to Mary is considered a blatant apostasy since all honor and glory should be reserved to Jesus Christ and him alone. Therefore, veneration of her is idolatrous heresy, and beyond that, it is a sore spot for them that Catholics believe all these things about Mary, and serves as a linchpin of their argument that Catholics are not even to be considered Christians. So attempts to appeal to their religious soft spot by using her in this example would probably fall well short of the mark. Mary is, more or less, just another woman from ancient times to them, albeit one who did God a solid.

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think this story, or this kind of iconography, resonates with the evangelicals, who make up the plurality of red hats, at all. Evangelicals don’t believe in any special status for Mary: that she was a perpetual virgin; that she was raised into heaven via the Assumption; that she was immaculately conceived and sinless while on Earth; or that she should be venerated or even prayed to as the Queen of Heaven. In fact, praying to Mary is considered a blatant apostasy since all honor and glory should be reserved to Jesus Christ and him alone. Therefore, veneration of her is idolatrous heresy, and beyond that, it is a sore spot for them that Catholics believe all these things about Mary, and serves as a linchpin of their argument that Catholics are not even to be considered Christians. So attempts to appeal to their religious soft spot by using her in this example would probably fall well short of the mark. Mary is, more or less, just another woman from ancient times to them, albeit one who did God a solid.

I agree on the lack of impact...the entire notion of shaming them is crazy, but on the other hand, Kenneth Copeland has been divinely anointed as a new apostle because he says so. 

edit: 5 Dangerous Errors of the New Apostolic Reformation (raptureforums.com)

Edited by romad1

45 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I've always assumed that when the writer of Ecclesiastes was writing about 'vanity and striving after wind' he was thinking about theology.

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

The non-crazy part of American Christianity is very conflicted about pushing back publicly against their political brethren even as they have more and more come to realize they need to be challenged. It's a fine line to walk without simply becoming their mirror image in apostasy. Puts me in mind of the kinds of things Gandalf and Galadriel said when refusing the ring. Once you cross line from humility to claiming moral authority in the name of a greater power you put yourselves in peril of losing the way back.

• Like 1