Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

the latest multi level type marketing scam going around among some of my social media acquantiences is botox.  They started letting RN's do the treatments and as a husband of someone in the health care field, I know a lot of nurses.  It's their new side hustle.  It replaced pills, diets, shakes, certain clothing lines, etc.  Especially among our circle, we just hit age 50, so we're in the demo.  "Hey, did you know there's a thing called Brotox?"

We play a game now... asking whether people we know do it.  I say "do it" because it's not a one and done thing.  Of course you need ongoing treatments.  What good is a scam if it's only used once, right?

23 minutes ago, oblong said:

the latest multi level type marketing scam going around among some of my social media acquantiences is botox.  They started letting RN's do the treatments and as a husband of someone in the health care field, I know a lot of nurses.  It's their new side hustle.  It replaced pills, diets, shakes, certain clothing lines, etc.  Especially among our circle, we just hit age 50, so we're in the demo.  "Hey, did you know there's a thing called Brotox?"

We play a game now... asking whether people we know do it.  I say "do it" because it's not a one and done thing.  Of course you need ongoing treatments.  What good is a scam if it's only used once, right?

Is that the deal were you shoot a needle into your stomach via endoscope? We were to brunch Sunday with a gaggle of nurses. They were all talking about shooting up friends who can't do it to themselves. Most of the folks getting the treament are in their late 30's or early 40's.

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Is that the deal were you shoot a needle into your stomach via endoscope? We were to brunch Sunday with a gaggle of nurses. They were all talking about shooting up friends who can't do it to themselves. Most of the folks getting the treament are in their late 30's or early 40's.

I don't think so.  They shoot you with a thin needle wherever the treatment is for.  There are medical reasons, I have a friend with jaw issues that it helped.  

But what you are referring to is probably something similarly vain. 

Everybody looks worse with it.  

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I don't think so.  They shoot you with a thin needle wherever the treatment is for.  There are medical reasons, I have a friend with jaw issues that it helped.  

But what you are referring to is probably something similarly vain. 

Everybody looks worse with it.  

This is it. I am hearing this is becoming a huge deal. I think it was designed for type 2 diabetes but is now more of a glamour drug. One nurse who was 20-30 lbs overweight the last time I saw her at Christmas has lost probably 30 lbs....

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-new-drug-treatment-chronic-weight-management-first-2014

• Like 1

It is sold under numerous names but they all affect the way the body digests food. I was on it for diabetes and had constant nausea. I quit after 2 months of throwing up a couple times a week. 

For a non-diabetic to get this stuff i believe its about $1000 a month, it may have come down some though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

It is sold under numerous names but they all affect the way the body digests food. I was on it for diabetes and hadconstant nausea. I quit after 2 months of throwing up a couple times a week. 

For a non-diabetic to get this stuff i believe its about $1000 a month, it may have come down some though.

It does work. The knock has been that for some folks, it not only reduces the enjoyment of eating, it reduces the enjoyment of everything else as well. 

Edited by gehringer_2

I don't want to believe in conspiracies, but I have a few (2002 Game 6 NBA Western Conference Finals was fixed,  1985 NBA Draft lottery was fixed and Oswald did not act alone),  but then the whistleblower in the Boeing case "commits suicide".   I'm not buying that.  I'm just not.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

is there a rebuttal in there that I missed?

...didn't think so.

Not that it needs explicit saying, but there doesn’t have to be. Red hats respond to emotion, not facts, and she delivered high-school-drama-club-level emotion in spades. And she’s good-looking enough to get away with playing the damsel in distress card so that all these tiny-d defenders of honor will come to her aid. I wonder whether that’s what the fakety-fake crying was really about.

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't want to believe in conspiracies, but I have a few (2002 Game 6 NBA Western Conference Finals was fixed,  1985 NBA Draft lottery was fixed and Oswald did not act alone),  but then the whistleblower in the Boeing case "commits suicide".   I'm not buying that.  I'm just not.   

You had me nodding until this …

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I mean, Boeing already murdered 346 people with the 737MAX............what's one more, right? 

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You had me nodding until this …

Well, not first degree but putting people in planes using a system their own pilots didn't even know about and being warned by several of their pilots that this was really bad............I think it meets the Crumbley Threshold.      

Boeing is lucky this happened really far away in countries that most Americans don't even care about, because if two planes had gone down for this reason in this country, there would be no more Boeing.  They'd be gone.      They probably should be anyway after this.    Maybe they will be when more of the truth comes out.    Boeing's very existence could hinge on this guy and well, problem solved?   

The FAA needs a complete overhauling after lazily allowing companies like Boeing to monitor themselves.     A lot of people complain about government oversight getting in the way, but this is the reason we need it.   People in part of West Virginia can't drink their local water because they chased the EPA away and a company the EPA was investigating polluted it.     

I don't believe that guy killed himself.       I don't believe Jeffrey Epstein did either, but he was an evil person, so I think the world's a better place without him, so I don't care.   But I do care about who made that decision and why.     

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Posted (edited)

Well, maybe this John Barnett guy was evil like that, too, and just didn’t have an island. Who knows.

But the bigger-picture issue here is how used to this kind of thing we will get, if we allow ourselves to. Epstein happens and no one cares—everyone cheers, actually. Barnett happens and no one seriously questions it. Next guy happens, and maybe we just shrug and say, well, that’s happened before. The guy after that, and we don’t even pay attention because it’s just business as usual, happens all the time. The guy after that, and we cheer that our team took care of business on behalf of us, the people.

Slopes are slippery for a reason.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Boeing is lucky

The entire design process leading up the Max should become the case study for every engineering school about how to do things wrong and how mistakes at the front only drive more mistakes at the back end. But in the final analysis, what it really came down to was another American company that was too busy taking profits instead of doing adequate re-investment in itself. Boeing was caught short without a competitive design to compete with Airbus because they hadn't bothered to design a new small air frame in 20-30 yrs. Did they think Airbus was just going to sit on their rear all that time? Did they not even have enough industrial intelligence work going to know they were getting behind? 

And so the MAX remains a substandard air frame which only flies safely with proper computer assistance instead of being intrinsically stable like any other commercial airplane.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The entire design process leading up the Max should become the case study for every engineering school about how to do things wrong and how mistakes at the front only drive more mistakes at the back end. But in the final analysis, what it really came down to was another American company that was too busy taking profits instead of doing adequate re-investment in itself. Boeing was caught short without a competitive design to compete with Airbus because they hadn't bothered to design a new small air frame in 20-30 yrs. Did they think Airbus was just going to sit on their rear all that time? Did they not even have enough industrial intelligence work going to know they were getting behind? 

And so the MAX remains a substandard air frame which only flies safely with proper computer assistance instead of being intrinsically stable like any other commercial airplane.

And the process that created Airbus is anathema to most American business school thinking.  You can fill in the blanks as to all the factors but start with these boogie men: bureaucracy, government spending, international cooperation, french people.   

24 minutes ago, romad1 said:

speaking of genius US business planning

LOL Dollar General has probably built at least one new store for every one Family Dollar is going to close.

Well, they say in economics that all 'Dollars' are fungible......

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL Dollar General has probably built at least one new store for every one Family Dollar is going to close.

Well, they say in economics that all 'Dollars' are fungible......

We are rightfully very worried about all the Chinese housing that was built because of China's real estate investment bubble.  Something like 2 potential residence sites for each citizen in the PRC is what I heard.  All because you have to build the moment you acquire real estate or some such crazy regulation.   Meanwhile private equity is doing the same with crappy dollar stores that likely are killing all the small businesses in the country.