Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

7 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The old Lowe's/Home Depot, or Advance Auto Parts strategy. Build a store so they have to pass yours before reaching the competition  

Burger King's too.  McDonald's went to great care to find good spots, Burger King said, "Wait for them then build across the street".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

They are still popping up everywhere too. New one going up in A2 here in a closed Chuck-E-Cheese

In the small community we moved into in the exurbs of Chicago (pop. 25000ish), there's about four Dollar Generals within a 5 mile radius.... including two that are literally 2 miles down the road from one another.

Just doesn't seem all that sustainable to me, but what do I know?

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL Dollar General has probably built at least one new store for every one Family Dollar is going to close.

Well, they say in economics that all 'Dollars' are fungible......

Not sure if this is the case in MI, but they also seem to love buying / leasing old Family Video locations...

Edited by mtutiger

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

In the small community we moved into in the exurbs of Chicago (pop. 25000ish), there's about four Dollar Generals within a 5 mile radius.... including two that are literally 2 miles down the road from one another.

Just doesn't seem all that sustainable to me, but what do I know?

I got two Walmarts on the same road two miles from each other. I'm buried in Walmarts and dollar stores.

Strip Malls are the worst.  The other day we went to a new place to eat, new for us, in Taylor by Southland.  Across the was a near empty Strip Mall that once housed a sporting good store, Kids R Us, Coney Island, SHoe places, etc. with a nice Star Theater as an anchor.  Now it's near empty.  A hockey store (which I think is still thriving due to being in Downriver) and a Burlington Coat Factory, which has degenerated into a very bad place to shop.  The rest of it is empty.  

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

Strip Malls are the worst.  The other day we went to a new place to eat, new for us, in Taylor by Southland.  Across the was a near empty Strip Mall that once housed a sporting good store, Kids R Us, Coney Island, SHoe places, etc. with a nice Star Theater as an anchor.  Now it's near empty.  A hockey store (which I think is still thriving due to being in Downriver) and a Burlington Coat Factory, which has degenerated into a very bad place to shop.  The rest of it is empty.  

Last week, I had a haircut scheduled around lunch time, so went to a local Cuban chain's spot near my barber to pick up lunch. It was in a stripmall. The adjacent store was a crematorium.

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Last week, I had a haircut scheduled around lunch time, so went to a local Cuban chain's spot near my barber to pick up lunch. It was in a stripmall. The adjacent store was a crematorium.

those must be busy in Florida

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

I used to hang out at Tech Plaza when I was a kid. I would play pinball at Cunningham's; go to Kresge or Kmart for a frozen coke or cherry (small: 15¢; large: 25¢, plus a penny tax) or a coke and fries (under a buck!); flip through albums at Music Man; read some books at Metro Bookstore; maybe get a hot fudge sundae at Sanders or a chili dog at Grecian Palace. Anytime we needed new clothes, mom would take us to Penney's or Thom McAn. Dad would get new tires at the Firestone. There was even a Kmart Foods grocery store there for a time. Now ... a complete dump. A Walmart and I don't know what else. Bombers could probably tell us what's still there.

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I'd order vegetarian.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, oblong said:

This should look very familiar to MCS:

dollar.PNG

I remember walking in there and seeing Dollar Tree on one side and Family Dollar and for about 10 seconds I thought I had stumbled onto a portal into an alternate universe.    And I thought if the alternate universe still had a dollar store on the same spot than I probably wouldn't be better off, so I stayed on the Family Dollar side.   Then I heard another customer ask about it and they said it was a merger, then I realized I hadn't unlocked the door to the multiverse, so I paid for my 3 beef & cheese sticks (which cost twice as much at a "convenience" store and I departed.