Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

On 12/15/2021 at 11:47 AM, oblong said:

anything about the blacks is CRT now.

QFT.

Teach that blacks were ever prevented from voting? CRT. Teach that southern states passed Jim Crow law to enshrine second-class citizenship for blacks? CRT. Teach that blacks were routinely lynched in the early 20th century? CRT. Teach that Reconstruction was not the worst period in American history? CRT. Teach that black slaves didn't really love their masters? CRT.

It's all CRT. All of it. And schools, at least white schools, are going to stay far, far away from teaching anything about the experience of black people in America, on any level, because they won't want to put up with the hassle. Which is the point of the whole thing.

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I still can't get over these people risk their lives and freedom over Donald Trump. 

I once honked my horn at someone because their car had a Bernie Sanders bumper sticker on it and I smiled and gave them a thumbs up for it. But that's about the extent of my rowdy behavior for Bernie in public.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I once honked my horn at someone because their car had a Bernie Sanders bumper sticker on it and I smiled and gave them a thumbs up for it. But that's about the extent of my rowdy behavior for Bernie in public.

Unfortunately, nothing will happen to the leader who told them to do this.  

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I still can't get over these people risk their lives and freedom over Donald Trump. 

Anybody that does ANYTHING for Donald Trump is a sucker.  He has shown over and over and over again for 40 years that he only cares about himself.  Why are people so naive?    

this is from Dana Milbank in WaPo

Barbara F. Walter, a political science professor at the University of California at San Diego, serves on a CIA advisory panel called the Political Instability Task Force that monitors countries around the world and predicts which of them are most at risk of deteriorating into violence. By law, the task force can’t assess what’s happening within the United States, but Walter, a longtime friend who has spent her career studying conflicts in Syria, Lebanon, Northern Ireland, Sri Lanka, the Philippines, Rwanda, Angola, Nicaragua and elsewhere, applied the predictive techniques herself to this country.

Her bottom line: “We are closer to civil war than any of us would like to believe.” She lays out the argument in detail in her must-read book, “How Civil Wars Start,” out in January. “No one wants to believe that their beloved democracy is in decline, or headed toward war,” she writes. But, “if you were an analyst in a foreign country looking at events in America — the same way you’d look at events in Ukraine or the Ivory Coast or Venezuela — you would go down a checklist, assessing each of the conditions that make civil war likely. And what you would find is that the United States, a democracy founded more than two centuries ago, has entered very dangerous territory.”

Indeed, the United States has already gone through what the CIA identifies as the first two phases of insurgency — the “pre-insurgency” and “incipient conflict” phases — and only time will tell whether the final phase, “open insurgency,” began with the sacking of the Capitol by Donald Trump supporters on Jan. 6.

Things deteriorated so dramatically under Trump, in fact, that the United States no longer technically qualifies as a democracy. Citing the Center for Systemic Peace’s “Polity” data set — the one the CIA task force has found to be most helpful in predicting instability and violence — Walter writes that the United States is now an “anocracy,” somewhere between a democracy and an autocratic state.

U.S. democracy had received the Polity index’s top score of 10, or close to it, for much of its history. But in the five years of the Trump era, it tumbled precipitously into the anocracy zone; by the end of his presidency, the U.S. score had fallen to a 5, making the country a partial democracy for the first time since 1800. “We are no longer the world’s oldest continuous democracy,” Walter writes. “That honor is now held by Switzerland, followed by New Zealand, and then Canada. We are no longer a peer to nations like Canada, Costa Rica, and Japan, which are all rated a +10 on the Polity index.”

Dropping five points in five years greatly increases the risk of civil war (six points in three years would qualify as “high risk” of civil war). “A partial democracy is three times as likely to experience civil war as a full democracy,” Walter writes. “A country standing on this threshold — as America is now, at +5 — can easily be pushed toward conflict through a combination of bad governance and increasingly undemocratic measures that further weaken its institutions.”

Others have reached similar findings. The Stockholm-based International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance put the United States on a list of “backsliding democracies” in a report last month. “The United States, the bastion of global democracy, fell victim to authoritarian tendencies itself," the report said. And a new survey by the academic consortium Bright Line Watch found that 17 percent of those who identify strongly as Republicans support the use of violence to restore Trump to power, and 39 percent favor doing everything possible to prevent Democrats from governing effectively.

Merry Christmas

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, pfife said:

I will never understand conservatives that don't like Mitch McConnell.    He's the piece of garbage.... you wish you had on your team.   I wish Democrats fought like he does.

He’s never been afraid of Trump. He used him more than the other way around.