Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

20 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The debates suck and don't change anyone's mind.  Republicans all say that their candidate won the debate.  Democrats all say that their candidate won the debate.  There will be debates though.  It Trump is a candidate, there is no way he'll turn down a TV appearance.  If he's not a candidate, then they'll just have a regular debate without a lot of whining.

Trump did skip debates in both the 2016 primaries and 2020 general election.

Actually, the 2016 one..... my recollection is for some reason he skipped a republican primary debate which I don't remember why he did so.  But instead he held a fundraiser-telethon type of thing for Veterans.   Then I remember a lot of reporting coming out about how the money never got donated or something like that.   Then I think it just got washed away with the torrent of news we had in those times.   Anyone else recall this?

23 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

new GOP debate rules:

1. All debates at Trump properties; minimum $100M in rent for the week

2. Biden wears a Let's Go Brandon hat

3. Dems can choose any moderator from this list: Eric, Ivanka, Don Jr, The Fat One, Tucker, Hannity, Ingraham

4. Biden not allowed to drink water with one hand

5. Audience questions only from big, strong guys with tears in their eyes, who ask Trump "Sir" questions

You probably won't have to worry about Biden participating in any future debates.  They only want the candidates to debate and he won't be one.

Seriously, its about time the Republican party took a stand on these biased moderators and debate rules.  I think one of the new rules should be that the candidate has to answer the question or at least talk on topic or the mic gets turned off.  All are guilty of that.

I know each claim victory after a debate but their claim means nothing. Its the opinion of the viewer/voter that counts. Usually the winner is obvious too.

LOL Oh wow:

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/07/777287610/judge-says-trump-must-pay-2-million-over-misuse-of-foundation-funds

A New York judge has ruled that President Trump must pay $2 million in damages to settle claims that the Trump Foundation misused funds. The money will go to a group of charities, and the foundation is in the process of dissolving.

The case is tied to a televised fundraiser for veterans held by Trump in Iowa when he was running for president in January 2016. Trump had said the funds raised would be distributed to charities. But according to court documents, the Trump Foundation improperly used $2.82 million it received from that fundraiser.

19 minutes ago, pfife said:

personally I think debates are the worst and provide no insight into how one will govern.   I only like them because they're a spectacle.

Agree and disagree. I think it is important for Candidates to have to express themselves in an environment they don't control. I would agree this pseudo-debate format is a lousy way to do it. I would just as soon require each candidate to do  one or more solo interviews with a Mike Wallace level interviewer. The gold standard for this if you ask anyone old enough to remember may have been Jack Paar's candidate interviews prior to the 1960 election. Maybe the most informative hours about candidates ever done on TV.

8 hours ago, romad1 said:

Charlie Sykes has basically spent the week on his podcasts doing warnings about Civil War.   I think we are in a lot of danger in this country.   The 19th Century version isn't going to happen.  What will happen will look like "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland.

This happens every time there is a Democrat in the White House but the FBI has been able to pierce the balloon most times previous before real danger occurred.  The existence of an unfettered communications infrastructure, out-of-control political storms are gaining strength like wildfire.

Be safe.  Your racist uncle is probably not the problem but the idiot cousin might be.

I listened to his podcast where he was interviewing that woman who was a researcher on global civil wars. She basically called Trump an Ethnic Entrepreneur which I thought was appropriate. She drew comparisons between where we are at now thanks to Trump and where the new Serbia, the former Yugoslavia, was at under Slobodan Milosevic after the fall of the Iron Curtin. A frightening but accurate comparison to where we are heading. I'm not saying Trump is Milosevic, but the state of where we are at and the tactical ethnic approach that both Trump and Milosevic use is similar.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad