Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

17 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

State Senator Mallory McMorrow from Royal Oak is fucking awesome! I've had the chance to speak with her and we're friends on Facebook and she's a wonderful human being. I hadn't watched her speech, so thank you for sharing it. Powerful words.

And powerfully delivered. Wow.

I realize this is Virginia and very far Trumpwest part of the state at that, but this needs to be shared as to the current state of the Republican Party. I guarantee it's happening all over the country

https://bearingdrift.com/2022/04/21/card-and-thats-why-we-cant-have-nice-things/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=card-and-thats-why-we-cant-have-nice-things

52 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

As per usual, the costs of the Culture War will be passed onto the taxpayer.

So even when Disney gets penalized by the state, they still come out over a billion dollars ahead.

That’s Peak American Capitalism right there.

Edited by chasfh

I went to college in Florida and ended up in an internship at Disney World. They came to my school and put on a presentation about their college program. They sold it as if college students would be working in the executive offices of Disney World. They even called it an executive internship. I spoke with my academic advisor who said she had a few students do the program and it was great and they loved it. I was like sure and applied. Went through the interview process and got accepted. 

When I arrive at Disney World it wasn't at all what I was sold. It turns out I was working in the Magic Kingdom at the confectionary. I was basically a cashier. I quickly realized the internship was nothing more than a scam to get cheap labor as we were all being paid $7.25 an hour under the guise it was a learning experience. We were really resented by the full time staff as we were keeping their wages low. I also got the sense that Disney wasn't the most popular in Orlando. It had the reputation at that time of a Walmart. Large corporation that pays it's employees little. A lot of the employees who worked at Disney were at or near poverty. There were a lot of Hispanic workers which I would imagine is typical in Central Florida. Many couldn't speak English yet were there to try to train me on the job. I don't think there is going to be the blowback as many expect. This was nearly 20 years ago so attitudes in and around Orlando could have changed towards Disney. I really have no sympathy what happens to Disney. I saw the underbelly of the beast but what the state is doing to retaliate and censor and cancel Disney is just shocking and appalling. As much as I do not like Disney, I'm with them on this one. 

44 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

America, where democracy means we get to choose sides between idiot tinpot elected officials and scam artist corporate robber barons. 

...Same as it ever was.

We can choose sides between them, although they're the ones dividing us up by lots between them.