Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

22 minutes ago, oblong said:

Blurting out “wait hold on” when under oath is not a good sign 

They're being too 'effin nice. Don't go to the evidence and let her recant in real time, let her reiterate her lies then indict her asz when her testimony is over.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Al Franken got booted for much less. I'm old enough to remember when a Congressman sharing a fountain with a call girl was enough to kill a carreer.

Think of all the people who had to resign or careers ended. President Gary Hart anyone?  Guy was on a boat with a lady. The lady from california who was in a “throuple”?  Franken.  Difference is Dems have honor.  GOP it’s a feature.  

Neither party is honorable. I don’t play the what about game. I ‘m straight up. To imply either party “honorable” is a wishful thinking. Granted, there are individuals in both parties that are exceptions to the rule. However, to make a blanket statement that either of the major parties have an ounce of claim to being honorable is wrong.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Unless the definition of “honor” has changed recently, neither the GOP nor the Democrats should pretend to associate themselves with the word. 

I agree.  the Democrats aren't as bad as the MAGAs, but I wouldn't say they have honor.  They are just appealing to their voters.  They are tougher on things like infidelity and harrassment because they want the woman's vote whereas many Republican voters think it's OK for men to be men.    

I believe that one party has as a stated goal a sincere goal to help people who need help and the other party is all about personal enrichment and power.  If you disagree, fine. I will let the facts speak for themselves based on the behavior we have seen the last 20 years. 

the only republicans with honor are ostracized from the national party. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, oblong said:

I believe that one party has as a stated goal a sincere goal to help people who need help and the other party is all about personal enrichment and power.  If you disagree, fine. I will let the facts speak for themselves based on the behavior we have seen the last 20 years. 

the only republicans with honor  are ostracized from the national party. 

It's all culture war, all the time with the Republican Party these days. They are largely vapid on actual domestic policy, and to the extent that they are, those folks are not ascendant in the party. Or are heading for the exits (ie. Fred Upton)

I dont think the Democratic Party is perfect, and I dont necessarily agree with everything they do, but at least a lot of the debates during the past year and a half have been on substantive policy issues, such as BIF and BBB. Cannot say that with the GOP, where the past year and a half has been a noun, a verb and CRT.

13 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Al Franken got booted for much less. I'm old enough to remember when a Congressman sharing a fountain with a call girl was enough to kill a carreer.

Not for nothing, I want Al Franken to be the Democratic nominee in 2024. I think the guy would make a great president who would pick terrific advisors and got cooperation at least among his own party and maybe even the old-line Rs.

Time for him to have a career comeback. If Louis C.K. can have one, then dammit, so can Al.

The idea that Democratic politicos may not be honorable is a defensible hypothesis and debatable proposition on its own merit. The problem here is the timing and context of the criticism.

If the criticism occurs as a response to clear and obvious Democrat malfeasance, then OK, it makes sense to highlight and discuss it. And if the criticism comes up when a Democrat criticizes Republicans for the very same behavior they themselves have been engaging in, then yes, it makes sense to bring up Democrat dishonor on the point.

But if it comes up mainly when specific Republican dishonor is being proven, trying to shine the light back on Democrats as being dishonorable in general looks very much like a both-siding strategy intended specifically to neutralize whatever the current specific criticism of the Republicans happens to be at the moment.

Personally, when I see this happen, I see it as an admission by the conservative that the point being made about the Republican has been successfully proven—in this case, that Madison Cawthorn is a dishonorable asshole who's been apparently lying about his own innocence regarding orgy behavior by projecting it onto others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, oblong said:

I edited your post to fix my spelling mistake. 

the only policy I can think of by this GOP in 6 years is the border. 

and even there, they don't have a policy, only a complaint. Their own GOP Prez couldn't move the GOP congressional caucus to actually passing a bill because they want to keep the complaint more than they want to solve a problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Personally, when I see this happen, I see it as an admission by the conservative that the point being made about the Republican has been successfully proven—in this case, that Madison Cawthorn is a dishonorable asshole who's been apparently lying about his own innocence regarding orgy behavior by projecting it onto others.

It wasn't necessarily orgy behavior.  It was cross dressing.  It's a lifestyle choice.  He  has that right.  

37 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It wasn't necessarily orgy behavior.  It was cross dressing.  It's a lifestyle choice.  He  has that right.  

Sure he has that right. And he has the right to project orgy behavior onto his congressional colleagues, I guess.