Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Were we immigrants when we "stormed the open border" into Native American lands?  Or illegal aliens?

It wasn't a country yet, there were no borders, laws or immigration.  The anti American crowd always wants to go back to Columbus, the Mayflower or the Native Americans to try to justify their desire to destroy the US with illegal aliens and open borders.  Sorry buy Americans don't buy that line of BS.

14 minutes ago, Archie said:

It wasn't a country yet, there were no borders, laws or immigration.  The anti American crowd always wants to go back to Columbus, the Mayflower or the Native Americans to try to justify their desire to destroy the US with illegal aliens and open borders.  Sorry buy Americans don't buy that line of BS.

There were racial citizenship restrictions almost from the time of the Constitution, which denied citizenship to the 'wrong' immigrants but I suppose still left it open to their children born here. However, actual immigration entry restrictions did not exist until 1875, when there was most definitely a country (nearly two!). By that time the population had swelled from 4 million in 1790 to nearly 40 million. A link to the history below. You can get the population estimates from Google.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/09/30/how-u-s-immigration-laws-and-rules-have-changed-through-history/

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, Archie said:

I think you have it all wrong.  If I owned a business, I'd want to hire the guy that swam across the Rio Grande to get here.  Someone like that will make a real hard working and creative American!  The paper pusher that knows how to charm the immigration admin and manipulate the system not so much! 

Lincoln (a Rebuplican!) said it best: 

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Not a nation dedicated to an ethnic group, or a race, or a language, or even a particular geography, but to a proposition. No-one has a claim to say anyone who is also dedicated to that proposition has any less right to be 'American' than they do.

As a matter of practicality, any nation has the right to ensure orderly immigration, but there is no place in the American 'experiment' for consideration of where people come from or what they look like, which is all the current right wing hysteria is about.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

There were racial citizenship restrictions almost from the time of the Constitution, which denied citizenship to the 'wrong' immigrants but I suppose still left it open to their children born here. However, actual immigration entry restrictions did not exist until 1875, when there was most definitely a country (nearly two!). By that time the population had swelled from 4 million in 1790 to nearly 40 million. A link to the history below. You can get the population estimates from Google.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/09/30/how-u-s-immigration-laws-and-rules-have-changed-through-history/

The big misconception or better yet the big lie from the left is this is all about race.  Race doesn't play any part in it at all. Zero....None!   Racism accusations from the left is very common and their first line of defense when they have no other way of disputing an issue. 

I have no problem with immigration as long as people follow our laws to enter the country.  Illegals are a burden to the taxpayers and danger to the citizens of the US.  Since Slo Joe has been in office and sent the invitation out we have had millions of illegals cross the border and been sent around the country by this administration.  Biden has put a heavy financial burden on the country and endangered all of us including our children.  Its no wonder why there are so many firearm sales and so many people carry guns where ever they go.  I don't blame them. 

4 minutes ago, Archie said:

I have no problem with immigration as long as people follow our laws to enter the country.

then why won't your party get on board with reform to make the system orderly? Too easy to deny it's about race but then refuse any solution to the problem.

GOP immigration policy (i.e. lack thereof) has been a Satan's bargain between monied interests who need to keep the undocumented undocumented in order to enjoy the ripple effect on the depression of wages and the white Christian nationalists elements who are scared of having their genepool or their Electoral college perks threatened.

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, Archie said:

The big misconception or better yet the big lie from the left is this is all about race.  Race doesn't play any part in it at all. Zero....None!   Racism accusations from the left is very common and their first line of defense when they have no other way of disputing an issue. 

I have no problem with immigration as long as people follow our laws to enter the country.  Illegals are a burden to the taxpayers and danger to the citizens of the US.  Since Slo Joe has been in office and sent the invitation out we have had millions of illegals cross the border and been sent around the country by this administration.  Biden has put a heavy financial burden on the country and endangered all of us including our children.  Its no wonder why there are so many firearm sales and so many people carry guns where ever they go.  I don't blame them. 

greg abbot is the one moving them around the country https://www.texastribune.org/2022/04/13/migrants-bus-texas-washington-dc/

Edited by pfife

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Not everyone who wants increased border control is a racist, but for those who are driving the hysteria it's definitely about race.  

and they are also two different issues. Immigration policy is about establishing numbers and procedures for admittance. You can hold that the US is being far too restrictive of immigration in general and still be unhappy about conditions at the border. But the latter problem requires more expansive policy prescriptions that include aspect of the US foreign policy toward central and South America, so you need a Congress able to formulate and pass legislation across a broad scale, which the GOP stands steadfastly against (a productive Congress that is)

1 hour ago, Archie said:

I have no problem with immigration as long as people follow our laws to enter the country. 

What "laws?" There are no "laws." To my knowledge there is a single law. If/when you decide to look it up - look up the penalty as well. You might be surprised.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I went to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island museum on Spring break with the family this year.  Ellis Island is an interesting tour for sure.  The regulated but accepting model of immigration.   It made America. 

Speaking of which