Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

I was thinking if the Freep headline about sudden hiring of temp workers by Ford was subtle dig at king of the cuckoo birds who has the other EV company who tried to play in the right wing ecosphere for a while but then learned that destroying your stock's value comes at a cost and decided he had to lay a bunch of workers off. 

Ford promotes 3K temp UAW workers to permanent ahead of schedule (freep.com)

OA'Lisa Mason and her father, Ossie Mason Sr., both of Detroit, are seen here on Thursday, June 2, 2022. She just learned she's moving from temporary to permanent at the Dearborn Truck Plant building the F-150 pickup. Her father retired from factory work at Ford.

Oh and look.  She's african american so Tesla wouldn't hire her. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I was thinking if the Freep headline about sudden hiring of temp workers by Ford was subtle dig at king of the cuckoo birds who has the other EV company who tried to play in the right wing ecosphere for a while but then learned that destroying your stock's value comes at a cost and decided he had to lay a bunch of workers off. 

Ford promotes 3K temp UAW workers to permanent ahead of schedule (freep.com)

OA'Lisa Mason and her father, Ossie Mason Sr., both of Detroit, are seen here on Thursday, June 2, 2022. She just learned she's moving from temporary to permanent at the Dearborn Truck Plant building the F-150 pickup. Her father retired from factory work at Ford.

Oh and look.  She's african american so Tesla wouldn't hire her. 

Tesla stock price is not sustainable once Ford, GM, VW are all also established in the market, and that is happening as we speak now. Elon is looking for something new to leverage himself into, which I think is what is driving most the the Twitter take over sturm and drang.

Edited by gehringer_2

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Tesla stock price is not sustainable once Ford, GM, VW are all also established in the market, and that is happening as we speak now. Elon is looking for something new to leverage himself into, which I think is what is driving most the the Twitter take over sturm and drang.

I have a friend who works for VW here in northern Virginia.  He's really opposed to EVs.  I think he's really into the emotions of the internal combustion engine.  I asked him about the plan for the market to be dominated by EVs and he said: plans can change. 

I don't know how many engineers and designers who work in the Detroit Metro, Tokyo, Seoul, Munich, etc. might share those opinions but it is a bit dispiriting.  When I bought my last vehicle it was the lack of available options and the range consideration that kept me from committing.  I ended up with a car that made me happy 5 days a week and miserable when it came the day to fill the tank. 

8 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I have a friend who works for VW here in northern Virginia.  He's really opposed to EVs.  I think he's really into the emotions of the internal combustion engine.  I asked him about the plan for the market to be dominated by EVs and he said: plans can change. 

I don't know how many engineers and designers who work in the Detroit Metro, Tokyo, Seoul, Munich, etc. might share those opinions but it is a bit dispiriting.  When I bought my last vehicle it was the lack of available options and the range consideration that kept me from committing.  I ended up with a car that made me happy 5 days a week and miserable when it came the day to fill the tank. 

I’d bet if/when hybrids can increase their battery range from ~20 miles to ~50 miles, meaning most trips that most people take would be within battery range, sales would explode through the roof. I myself am hoping for something like that by the time I’m ready for another car in 2024.

And once that happened, the oil companies that ramped up production to meet this single moment’s demand would be sitting on a glut of gasoline, and the prices would crash by probably half, which would spur an increase in sales of gas guzzlers. It’s all cyclical. 

13 minutes ago, romad1 said:

It is true that if you really want to help CO2 emissions directly the most right now, you buy a hybird, because if you buy an EV someone is burning fossil fuel to power it. But that is not the whole story. There is an energy economy that needs to be built/transformed, and the people buying EVs today are helping create that transformation even if they are somewhat ahead of the optimum curve emission wise.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’d bet if/when hybrids can increase their battery range from ~20 miles to ~50 miles, meaning most trips that most people take would be within battery range, sales would explode through the roof.

There is no secret sauce to building plug-in hybrids, and GM already built that vehicle - the Volt. They've stopped. The industry generally does not like hybrids because they are more complex and expensive than a pure IC or EV and adding range to a plug-in hybrid is a pure increase in cost (and weight) for a bigger battery. The manufacturers are faced with the fact that cars are a relatively strongly price elastic market. Toyota is sort of the exception here - their commitment to hybrid tech remains strong, and they are selling every Prius they can build.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

GM already built that vehicle - the Volt. They've stopped. The industry generally does not like hybrids because they are more complex and expensive than a pure IC or EV and cars are a relatively strongly price elastic market. Toyota is sort of the exception here - their commitment to hybrid tech remains strong, and they are selling every Prius they can build.

I wish the Volt were still on the market.   My friend has one.  Its a good size for passengers (could be a tad bigger), but has very good power and range.   The gas engine gets him across country when necessary and he mostly uses the battery when he commutes.

8 minutes ago, romad1 said:

YES

It won’t happen this year, but as more states with currently good economies go more and more medieval with their governance, like Florida, Georgia, and Texas, more and more companies are going to leave or refuse to relocate there, except to exploit cheap low-skilled labor that’s already in the state. With the possible exception of people who work for heavy manufacturing companies, few educated white collar people will want to relocate there.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There is no secret sauce to building plug-in hybrids, and GM already built that vehicle - the Volt. They've stopped. The industry generally does not like hybrids because they are more complex and expensive than a pure IC or EV and adding range to a plug-in hybrid is a pure increase in cost (and weight) for a bigger battery. The manufacturers are faced with the fact that cars are a relatively strongly price elastic market. Toyota is sort of the exception here - their commitment to hybrid tech remains strong, and they are selling every Prius they can build.

I don’t know … looks here like hybrid vehicle sales have experienced strong increases lately, especially last year (when I got mine). If Chevy doesn’t want to keep building PHEVs, I’d bet there are plenty of (foreign) car companies who will.

image.png.0a8b19a1a1205d6aa66794a837006173.png

Edited by chasfh

When Speaker MTG impeaches President Biden and Manchin and Sinema  are part of the 60 voting to remove:

—President Harris chooses who for VP?

— How long does she have before all that happens to her after the revocation of the 19th Amendment and her Administration is ruled unconstitutional on the grounds of her gender? Which Oddly does not impact MTG because it is revealed that the Supreme court rules she is an honorary male because she supports gun rights. 

Edited by romad1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I don’t know … looks here like hybrid vehicle sales have experienced strong increases lately, especially last year (when I got mine). If Chevy doesn’t want to keep building PHEVs, I’d bet there are plenty of (foreign) car companies who will.

image.png.0a8b19a1a1205d6aa66794a837006173.png

people still want them, the manufacturers would just prefer they not! :classic_laugh:

Total EVs at about 7.5% of the market. They could probably sell double that if they were building as many hybrids as the public would buy.

53 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

It’s hard to be surprised what any of the GOP nutcases say, but then there’s stuff like this. 

I am surprised that it came out of Massachusetts.  If Mass Republicans are going down the dark road, then the entire party is lost.