Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

The J6 hearing has been great for anothe reason somewhat related to that decision.  It's a very important thing with no silliness coming from the members.  No grandstanding.  No silly gotcha questions.  No preening for the camera.  No monologues disguised as questions.   Just a serious inquiry like Congress used to be at times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, oblong said:

The J6 hearing has been great for anothe reason somewhat related to that decision.  It's a very important thing with no silliness coming from the members.  No grandstanding.  No silly gotcha questions.  No preening for the camera.  No monologues disguised as questions.   Just a serious inquiry like Congress used to be at times.

I couldn’t even imagine any progress being done if Gym Jordan and Gaetz were there to muck things up. It would have just been a circus. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Schiff did some grandstanding the other day.  But yes, overall it has been very well done.  It's different from most as well though as it's more of a production and less of a hearing.  Much of the investigation is being done behind the curtain and then these hearings are the presentation to the people.

11 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Schiff did some grandstanding the other day.  But yes, overall it has been very well done.  It's different from most as well though as it's more of a production and less of a hearing.  Much of the investigation is being done behind the curtain and then these hearings are the presentation to the people.

OK, I’ll bite: how did Schiff do some grandstanding the other day?

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Seriously, one of the dumbest moves ever.

They thought they could starve it of oxygen and it would die in the crib since MAGAnation would never hear about it, except as some kangaroo court like the impeachment trials were.

But, also, since January 6 was merely a bunch of tourists, participating in any commission designed to make it look like more than it was would make it look like Republicans were admitting it actually was more than it was.

Seriously, they were check-mated on this. 

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

OK, I’ll bite: how did Schiff do some grandstanding the other day?

It certainly wasn't anything crazy.  It was just a day or two ago where I caught him talking for 5 minutes or so.  To me it felt like he was trolling the Trump style folks that are now saying 1/6 wasn't a big deal rather than adding any value.  I didn't think much of it at the time, expected out of Schiff IMO.  I then listened to the Bullwark podcast which is another never Trumper conservative guy and he quipped the same thing which validated it to me.  My guess is those that aren't conservative Never Trumpers probably don't feel the same way as me.

20 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

It certainly wasn't anything crazy.  It was just a day or two ago where I caught him talking for 5 minutes or so.  To me it felt like he was trolling the Trump style folks that are now saying 1/6 wasn't a big deal rather than adding any value.  I didn't think much of it at the time, expected out of Schiff IMO.  I then listened to the Bullwark podcast which is another never Trumper conservative guy and he quipped the same thing which validated it to me.  My guess is those that aren't conservative Never Trumpers probably don't feel the same way as me.

I didn't get any of that from watching Schiff. I thought he managed the questioning rigorously, thoughtfully, and with the proper degree of decorum. If you're going to insist he went off on a five-minute grandstanding rant, I'm going to ask you to produce a clip of it, because I don't remember anything like that.

Edited by chasfh
  • Thanks 1

By grandstanding I mean you are using your time and ability to talk to make specifically misleading statements knowing they can't be refuted at that moment by anyone.  It's not about putting something on record but more about getting a favorable clip played that evening on your cable news station of choice.

Another example of Grandstanding is back when the auto companies were asking for help and they asked if they flew there in corporate jets.  Companies owning corporate jets for executives to travel is far more efficient and economical but no.... congress had to make their play and be holier than thou and the auto companies did the right thing and got rid of the jets for PR purposes.

I can't remember where I got this, but within the past week I saw or heard some opinion that Adam Schiff should not be involved in the Jan 6 hearings because he would be polarizing, or something along those lines. Maybe it was someone saying they thought Schiff would not participate for that reason. I can't remember which.

Of course, the only people polarizing Schiff are the right wingers who are trying to marginalize him to shut him down. Right wingers are afraid of Adam Schiff because he is a sober, serious person who knows what he is actually doing, and not a partisan clown. I don't know anyone outside of MAGAland who clutches their pearls over the prospect of Adam Schiff representing the Democrats.

I hope Adam Schiff becomes the congressional party leader when Nancy leaves. I could even support the guy for president.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I didn't get any of that from watching Schiff. I thought he managed the questioning rigorously, thoughtfully, and with the proper degree of decorum. If you're going to insist he went off on a five-minute grandstanding rant, I'm going to ask you to produce a clip of it, because I don't remember anything like that.

i'm just going to bow out, as I mentioned initially, overall I agreed with Oblong in regards to this hearing.  It has been refreshing to see.  

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If this were a Chris Nolan movie, having Jordan et al bounced from the committee would be McCarthy playing 3-D chess to get rid of Trump, who we know he secretly loathes. But who believes he is that smart in the real world? 🤔

Woah.  If this were a Christopher Nolan movie....that's a parlour game I can get behind.  

First, remove character names unless they are absolutely demanded by the story.   Batman?  Whose that?   

Second, take any situation and make it crazily complex but leave giant narrative holes that you fix with "spinning newspaper" level solutions or with camera cuts in which you are to assume that everything ended up fine.  

Third, expect people to fall for story devices as tired as "she had three psychiatrists declare her sane before she committed suicide and blamed me for her murder"

Fourth, use your gravitas as a director to hire actors so talented that it fixes a lot of the top three problems.  

I love me some Christopher Nolan but the problems with Christopher Nolan movies can be a lot of fun to unpack.  

Inception-Mal-Train.jpg

Edited by romad1