Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

On 8/9/2022 at 8:25 PM, Hongbit said:

She has a BA from Arizona State, MBA from San Diego State, and a JD from something called California Western School of Law (rank bottom 25% between 149-200 overall in the country).     She’s be perfect if they had something like a Rhodes scholar from party schools.   

Go Land Crabs !

Better Call Saul

10 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

(not like I ever expect a CEO to be, well, any other way)

I mean, it has been clear for 15+ years that the "health food store" business model is just to prey on left-leaning environmental/organic types by just marking stuff up with buzzwords.

1 minute ago, pfife said:

so is this Whole Foods jabroni thinking he's the only one not allowed to do politics at work?   My company has explicit rules against it as well

He should be aware as a business genius that republicans buy nikes too to quote Michael Jordan

Just now, romad1 said:

He should be aware as a business genius that republicans buy nikes too to quote Michael Jordan

it honestly blows my mind when CEOs do this kind of shit.  Home Depot CEO is another example.   I mean in either direction - they're supposed to maximize profit and if you go political you're going to alienate significant portions of your potential consumer base.   My company which is a very very very very huge company, one of the biggest in the world.... doesn't do this at all and I'm glad.   I'd be mad if I worked my arse off soo much only to have someone shit away our margins b/c of their political beliefs.  

• Like 2

Sitting in my VRBO mountain cabin in North Carolina watching some political ads.  GOP senate candidate  Tedd Budd is running on Biden’s inflation.  Democrats are running on a woman’s right to choose.  i was shocked to see those ads because the Morgandumb market is pretty christofascist.

26 minutes ago, pfife said:

it honestly blows my mind when CEOs do this kind of shit.  Home Depot CEO is another example.   I mean in either direction - they're supposed to maximize profit and if you go political you're going to alienate significant portions of your potential consumer base.   My company which is a very very very very huge company, one of the biggest in the world.... doesn't do this at all and I'm glad.   I'd be mad if I worked my arse off soo much only to have someone shit away our margins b/c of their political beliefs.  

I see some of Whole Foods guy's lament as being about the change in the culture - this is, after all, a country that, less than 20 years ago had corporate CEOs falling all over themselves to support the Iraq War and was harsh on those that didn't properly endorse or revere the decision to go (ie. Natalie Maines). And even at one time, Chick Fil A's messaging on various social issues was more accepted in the culture at large (its no accident that they have largely muted or backed away from some of this activism as time has evolved).

That isn't the case anymore... the culture has evolved, and these guys are having a fit because the public does not endorse or go along with the public airing of their views as easily as they did in the past.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

She can’t be this dumb, can’t she?

If you don't know anything about how a utility Co integrates their power system, and you know the Sun doesn't shine at night, there you are. A person in her position should have a responsibility to know more, but I'm sure a lot of people who know nothing about electricity beyond how to put a plug in the wall would make the same assumption that solar power will leave them in the dark at night,  and so whether it's ignorance or demagoguery on her part it's going to play to that audience.

TBF, the question of where base load power is going to come from in areas with a high % of solar power generation is not a trivial engineering question, but it's not a any kind of show stopper either. There are plenty of candidate  solutions, obviously including battery storage. In many areas wind power is more available during the night than during the day depending on local conditions. The market hasn't even begun to shake out what combination of solutions will be practical and they will vary in different areas of the country depending on things like whether there is local nuke, hydro, or clever storage facilities like the Luddington pumped hydro station. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

Amazon bought Whole Foods in 2017. I assume 2009 is a reference to when Obama took office.

yes - you are correct on the Amazon buy. But why would he shut up because Obama was elected? Looking at the history -  Mackey got into a bunch of hot water in 2008 blogging about the Whole Foods/WIld Oats merger and at one point was under investigation by the SEC. Maybe that's when his board told him to shut up in public. When you think about it, if he had been ticking off Bezos, more likely he would have just fired him.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

Just a reminder, Ted Bundy was a Republican.   

We should be very thankful that it was incredibly cold in Ann Arbor on January 1, 1978.   Ted Bundy had come to Ann Arbor and watched Michigan vs. Washington in the Rose Bowl and didn't like how cold it was, so he went South.  He was initially planning on staying in Ann Arbor.   

20 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

yes - you are correct on the Amazon buy. But why would he shut up because Obama was elected?

Because he wasn't retired. He couldn't lip off while being required to kowtow to the tyranny of his customer base. Now that he is retiring, he can mouth off all he wants.

36 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Just a reminder, Ted Bundy was a Republican.   

We should be very thankful that it was incredibly cold in Ann Arbor on January 1, 1978.   Ted Bundy had come to Ann Arbor and watched Michigan vs. Washington in the Rose Bowl and didn't like how cold it was, so he went South.  He was initially planning on staying in Ann Arbor.   

and all those grand dragon of the KKK dudes were Democrats.