Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Curious... how everyone who becomes a conservative icon seems to end up a fraud or an adulterer. 

They accept it as part of their culture.  Internally they don’t see it as a problem unless it’s the woman doing it. Per your previous post it’s just “boys being boys”.  “What did his wife do or not do to make him seek out a blowjob?”

On 9/3/2022 at 9:32 PM, oblong said:

Getting blowjobs from someone other than your wife is ok to Ramsey but not sexual intercourse. Where have we heard that before?

Step 1. Get your pyramid scheme to teach at churches and bring people in.

Step 2. Get that pyramid scheme to help people get out of debt.

Step 3. Once out of debt, convince them to tithe 10% of their income to their church.

Step 4. Get into more churches with the above scheme.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This looks like one of those headlines that comes when someone is telling you to write a story to fit an ideological quota.

Literally not newsworthy at all.

I think I would have been annoyed at the black characters in LOTR 20 years ago.  I also would be annoyed at a black James Bond.  The character as written by Ian Flemming is a Scottish dude who is rough around the edges and so forth.  As much as I think Idris Elba is a great actor, that isn't James Bond.   But, neither was Roger Moore.   But, I'm thinking people who have a problem with black hobbits and black elves...are some racists.

Edited by romad1

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I think I would have been annoyed at the black characters in LOTR 20 years ago.  I also would be annoyed at a black James Bond.  The character as written by Ian Flemming is a Scottish dude who is rough around the edges and so forth.  As much as I think Idris Elba is a great actor, that isn't James Bond.   But, neither was Roger Moore.   But, I'm thinking people who have a problem with black hobbits and black elves...are some racists.

The level of navel gazing in Hollywood can reach some epic proportions. For instance, if you can't laugh over all the fall-out from Tilda Swinton's role in Dr. Strange you need a new sense of humor.

14 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Granted I'm not the biggest consumer of pop culture out there, but if someone is  upset enough with casting choices for TV based on a fictional book series to give quotes to a story like the one above... just, go step on some grass or jump in a lake or something.

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Granted I'm not the biggest consumer of pop culture out there, but if someone is  upset enough with casting choices for TV based on a fictional book series to give quotes to a story like the one above... just, go step on some grass or jump in a lake or something.

I shouldn't laugh as I work in an institution every bit as triggered on all this as this example. The difference is I don't think what happens in academia has that much influence in the outside world and I tend to think reality is that the students are often quite reactionary to the prevailing academic orthodoxy anyway, so academia sows the seeds of an inverse intellectual pendulum swing in each generation.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I shouldn't laugh as I work in an institution every bit as triggered on all this as this example. 

For sure.

To that end, for as much as the "anti-wokeness" crowd complains about the excesses of "wokeness", they can be just quite grating and heavy handed in their approach IMO. Often mimicking what they complain so much about

Edited by mtutiger

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

You aren't one of these people who doesn't own a tv are you?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I've just started Kristen Kobes Du Mez' book "Jesus and John Wayne." Not sure where her core thesis is yet, but a lot of it seems to be toxic masculinity plus the profit motive of creating a "Christian" cultural state apart from the mainstream culture (music, film, travel, educational immersion etc).

A curious thing is that I bet if you ask a white evangelical what they view as their top overall world threats beyond their domestic librul opposition, you know fundamentalist Islam would be right up there. And yet they share so much world view with their supposed enemy, starting with a society ordered around the power of men to suppress women. 

But it really shouldn't be that surprising I guess. Any philosophy's most virulent enemy is usually the one only one door down the logical system aisle.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

More of this please.

Much, much, much more of this.

In fact, everyone identified on Jan 6th as participating in the coup attempt should be barred from holding any U.S. political position (meaning both Federal, State, OR Local...) for life. Even including School Council. In fact, bar them for life from holding any government paid position at all.

That immediately affects the PA Governor's race... doesn't it?!?!

24 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Does this top: I'm not a witch, or can't get pregnant from rape?

It's been decades since I was a child with grandparents from the Middle East, but my memories of what I heard there would say that the 'more than 1st' cousin - meaning *further* away than 1st cousin, was accepted traditional middle eastern practice at least at the turn of the 20th century. I.E. marriage to a 2nd cousin in that culture would not have raised anyone's eyebrows. We are talking 100 yrs ago in what my grandparents thought was normal, but I could see Oz's frame of reference originating from the same place.

Are people reading "more than" to mean "closer than"? Is there reason to think that's what he meant?

OTOH, the smell thing is just weirdly TMI.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's been decades since I was a child with grandparents from the Middle East, but my memories of what I heard there would say that the 'more than 1st' cousin - meaning *further* away than 1st cousin, was accepted traditional middle eastern practice at least at the turn of the 20th century. I.E. marriage to a 2nd cousin in that culture would not have raised anyone's eyebrows. We are talking 100 yrs ago in what my grandparents thought was normal, but I could see Oz's frame of reference originating from the same place.

Are people reading "more than" to mean "closer than"? Is there reason to think that's what he meant?

OTOH, the smell thing is just weirdly TMI.

I think the cultural notes you indicate may well have been at play in Cristine O'Donnell and Todd Akin's political waterloos.

Just now, romad1 said:

I think the cultural notes you indicate may well have been at play in Cristine O'Donnell and Todd Akin's political waterloos.

Delaware being a huge traditional hotbed of witchcraftery and Missouri having just a plethora of legitimate raping going on.