Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

I don't want to get into something where I'm defending Abbot and DeSantis, but the definition of sanctuary is "a place of refuge or safety."  By designating themselves as this, are they not inviting folks to them?  As such, Abbot and DeSantis are simply helping get migrates safely towards a place of refuge and safety.  Biden's policies on the border has helped put a huge number of folks through an extremely dangerous path towards what they believe is a Sanctuary country and you could argue Abbot and DeSantis are simply following POTUS' guidance in at least giving them a safe path once they are here.  (Note - while I think I made legitimate points above, I don't actually believe Abbot and DeSantis are good faith actors and are absolutely focusing on political points over the actual humans messed up in this political turmoil)

https://wgnradio.com/john-williams/burr-ridge-mayor-gary-grasso-on-migrants-coming-to-his-suburb-we-resent-the-way-the-governors-office-has-treated-us/

Short interview with a Chicago suburb, around 3 minutes in "We didn't know they were here until they were in the motel".  So here Democrats did exactly what everyone is screaming at republicans about.  I will add a note of difference, later in this interview he goes on to say Lightfoot reached out to him and apologized for how it went down.

What sanctuary city is turning them away? And bullshit on Abbott And DeSantis simply helping migrants. It's a publicity stunt. 

Funny how California is a border state with more Hispanics than Texas or Florida and the busiest border crossing in the Western Hemisphere and yet doesn't need to send immigrants all over the US like cattle. 

8 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I don't want to get into something where I'm defending Abbot and DeSantis, but the definition of sanctuary...

In the context, it's because these jurisdictions are limiting their cooperation with ICE. That's it.. setting aside that there are legitimate, pragmatic reasons for doing so, chief among them not chilling those here illegally from cooperating with law enforcement on criminal behavior, in essence helping local police departments.

Greg Abbott having a policy disagreement with other jurisdictions on degrees of cooperation with ICE is not a defense of him engaging in human trafficking. Full stop.

34 minutes ago, oblong said:

Why is one group deserving of aid but not the other?  Because they won the birth lottery?  Ron Deshantis can go fuck himself.

52 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Of course, Abbott hasn't been communicating one iota with any of the jurisdictions he's sending these busses to, which I'm guessing isn't the case up in Chicago, which to my understanding is about trying to find the necessary resources to care for human beings.

No offense, but the above pretty much sums up the Right's complaints on migration with the Left's policies.   

The left's line of thinking:

- There is no difference between a migrant/illegal and a citizen.

- Border states run by evil GOP'ers should understand this and take care of the millions (yes, 1.6 million last year, highest ever recorded, we already beat that this year).

- If they can't take care of them, they should figure out a way how to.

-If they ship some to cities that have openly invited illegals, they are horrible people

-If those cities don't have the resource to care for the handfuls sent to them, they can ship them to other                            cities, in fact, that shows they care about them and are looking out for them.

11 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

-If those cities don't have the resource to care for the handfuls sent to them, they can ship them to other                            cities, in fact, that shows they care about them and are looking out for them.

As the only person on the board who lives in a border state run by the GOP, maybe if our Governor were concerned with providing care to migrants (he isn't), he'd honest and communicate that to other jurisdictions.

But he's not an honest man, and that isn't what this is about. It's not about the human beings,he doesn't care about the, they are just pawns. Its about throwing out red meat for the base. Very "Christian" of him.

Edited by mtutiger

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Apparently a bus arrived in DC right outside VP Harris house. Tell me more how Abbot is simply helping get migrates safely towards a place of refuge and safety and not a publicity stunt. 

The politics are what they are, the Governor is doing this because it works.

But the lectures about how this is all has a patina of good faith is rich... deep down, we all know he doesn't care about any of these people and sees them as pawns to his Presidential ambitions.

Edited by mtutiger

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

In the context, it's because these jurisdictions are limiting their cooperation with ICE. That's it.. setting aside that there are legitimate, pragmatic reasons for doing so, chief among them not chilling those here illegally from cooperating with law enforcement on criminal behavior, in essence helping local police departments.

Greg Abbott having a policy disagreement with other jurisdictions on degrees of cooperation with ICE is not a defense of him engaging in human trafficking. Full stop.

That is not "it".  Everyday communities elect Mayors, hire financial managers, and hire new Police Chief's who enact new policies in how they will serve their community for legitimate and pragmatic reasons without grandstanding and making it public to all.  For many of these Sanctuary cities it's not about that at all, it's about political grandstanding.  

https://sfmayor.org/sanctuary-city

Since 1989, San Francisco has proudly been a Sanctuary City. We will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with our immigrant communities and fight for the progress we’ve achieved in this City. We are a sanctuary city, now, tomorrow and forever.

I could be wrong, but in looking at Sanctuary cities in Michigan I don't show Dearborn.  When I think of a striving immigrant community in Michigan, I think Dearborn first.  Now maybe the city quietly is a Sanctuary city, I know Wayne County is, but that's pretty much for show as isn't Wayne County Sheriffs only in the jails now?

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

That is not "it".  Everyday communities elect Mayors, hire financial managers, and hire new Police Chief's who enact new policies in how they will serve their community for legitimate and pragmatic reasons without grandstanding and making it public to all.  For many of these Sanctuary cities it's not about that at all, it's about political grandstanding.  

Even supposing this is entirely right (I suspect that it's more case-by-case than you make it), how does this make engaging in human trafficking for the purposes of political grandstanding excusable?

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

These two ghouls can send migrants to Detroit. The city is losing population and has plenty of vacant housing. It would help stabilize neighborhoods hanging by a thread. 

Southwest Detroit certainly has been propped up by incoming immigration.  

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't understand. These sanctuary cities aren't turning them away. California has more migrants than any state in the country and doesn't bus them to other states so I'm not sure I get bringing up San Francisco. 

because they saw a video on Fox News of a Walgreens being ripped off in SF and they have a "democrat" mayor so.... there you go

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Even supposing this is entirely right (I suspect that it's more case-by-case than you make it), how does this make engaging in human trafficking for the purposes of political grandstanding excusable?

Note i'm not saying it's entirely right, I'm just saying even if there are some pragmatic and reasonable case for it, there is some political theater as well.

And DeSantis and Abbot are POS for using illegals in this political theater, all i'm saying is that while they are POS, they have also proved a point that the left is all about welcoming folks into this country, until they have to deal with the problem.  Than apparently it's ok for them to human traffic them out to the suburbs and/or simply bitch about it instead of simply taking these folks in and welcoming them.

35 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

No offense, but the above pretty much sums up the Right's complaints on migration with the Left's policies.   

- Border states run by evil GOP'ers should understand this and take care of the millions (yes, 1.6 million last year, highest ever recorded, we already beat that this year).

- If they can't take care of them, they should figure out a way how to.

-If they ship some to cities that have openly invited illegals, they are horrible people

There isn't.  Not to a compassionate human being at least.  I'm not any more special because I was born in Detroit than someone born in Ecuador.  I will not hide from that.  

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't understand. These sanctuary cities aren't turning them away. California has more migrants than any state in the country and doesn't bus them to other states so I'm not sure I get bringing up San Francisco. 

California may also have the most vibrant economy in the nation, but no way that could be related......

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Note i'm not saying it's entirely right, I'm just saying even if there are some pragmatic and reasonable case for it, there is some political theater as well.

And DeSantis and Abbot are POS for using illegals in this political theater, all i'm saying is that while they are POS, they have also proved a point that the left is all about welcoming folks into this country, until they have to deal with the problem.  Than apparently it's ok for them to human traffic them out to the suburbs and/or simply bitch about it instead of simply taking these folks in and welcoming them.

It hasn't proved shit. All the cities they have been trafficked to have welcomed them. You really think New York City has a problem with a handful of migrants? 

9 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

https://sfmayor.org/sanctuary-city

I could be wrong, but in looking at Sanctuary cities in Michigan I don't show Dearborn.  When I think of a striving immigrant community in Michigan, I think Dearborn first.  Now maybe the city quietly is a Sanctuary city, I know Wayne County is, but that's pretty much for show as isn't Wayne County Sheriffs only in the jails now?

I think Dearborn and nearby localities are a bit unique. I'm including areas like West Bloomfield into the equation. Most of the immigrants to these localities are being bankrolled by families or other community members. For the most part they're set up with housing and a means of employment. Financing for their enterprises come from within the local community.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Chicago was sending them to suburbs, without any notice to those communities, aka the same thing Abbot and DeSantis are getting shit on over. I posted a link above.

I brought up San Francisco as what they posted on their website is what most of you on the left think.  That being a Sanctuary city is about standing up for immigrants and supporting them.  There was nothing in that statement about the pragmatic reasons why they choose to be one.  They posted it to 'show support'.  My direct response to that was about Dearborn, which is pretty supportive of immigrants without claiming Sanctuary city status.  Which again, maybe they practice that, IDK.   If I'm looking for a better way of life and dealing with the mess in my country in Latin America, I see this and to me, it would look like an invitation to come and if that's part of the purpose of this designation, then they shouldn't be waiting to yell at Abbot and DeSantis when illegals get shipped to them, they should be reaching out and helping facilitate getting folks up to them right away.

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

Chicago was sending them to suburbs, without any notice to those communities, aka the same thing Abbot and DeSantis are getting shit on over. I posted a link above.

I brought up San Francisco as what they posted on their website is what most of you on the left think.  That being a Sanctuary city is about standing up for immigrants and supporting them.  There was nothing in that statement about the pragmatic reasons why they choose to be one.  They posted it to 'show support'.  My direct response to that was about Dearborn, which is pretty supportive of immigrants without claiming Sanctuary city status.  Which again, maybe they practice that, IDK.   If I'm looking for a better way of life and dealing with the mess in my country in Latin America, I see this and to me, it would look like an invitation to come and if that's part of the purpose of this designation, then they shouldn't be waiting to yell at Abbot and DeSantis when illegals get shipped to them, they should be reaching out and helping facilitate getting folks up to them right away.

They do want to facilitate with them but the immigrants just show up with no coordination from Abbot or DeSantis. Plus, DeSantis sent them to an island that doesn't have a year round population. It has no direct flights to Florida or Texas. Now when they move them to Boston you'll be like look the liberals are hypocrites. If DeSantis actually cared, he would have coordinated with Massachusetts officials and sent them to Boston. Instead he sent them to Martha's Vineyard so he can stick it to Obama. 

Chicago has suburbs with high Mexican populations so it makes sense sending them to suburbs. I would imagine if a lot of Hispanic migrants arrived in Detroit, a lot would be sent to Pontiac. 

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

{snip}

This is why you know nothing about what "the left" is thinking.

• Thanks 1