Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I freely admit I'm old and not the market, but I'm struggling to understand Zuckerberg's vision of VR. Why do I want to have my real time reality linked animated avatar interacting with another person's similarly powered animated avatar in a meeting when we can just look at each other's real faces and expressions given garden variety video and IP tech? Sure I get it for gaming, but Zuck's ambition for the abstraction of direct human interaction is way beyond gaming. Seems like a screaming case of a tech solution searching for a problem. Also oddly discordant as facebook was all about achieving greater direct person to person contact.

Reminds me of Google glass which lasted about 7 minutes.  

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

this is why they will risk running morons like H. Walker, Dr. Oz and Tubberville even if it increases the chance of losses - it's because they need people who don't have the brains or will to do anything but just get with the program when they are told at times like that. Loeffler wasn't a completely empty (pant)suit.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Robert E. Lee had Fox News he would have surrendered and then toured the country to declare victory.

I enjoy so very much that Arlington Cemetery was put in that man's front yard.   If you are going to screw over your country and get away with it with your neck, might as well understand what you caused.

• Like 1

The Union took over the house and property during the war. Lee never returned. his wife only visited it once. Lee's son George Washington Custis Lee, sued to get the property back and won on appeal to the Supreme Court who found that the property had been "illegally confiscated" He then settled with the government for about $4.5 million in today's money.

10 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

The Union took over the house and property during the war. Lee never returned. his wife only visited it once. Lee's son George Washington Custis Lee, sued to get the property back and won on appeal to the Supreme Court who found that the property had been "illegally confiscated" He then settled with the government for about $4.5 million in today's money.

Close: technically, they won the rights to the land in court, then sold the land back to the US government for 150,000 1883 dollars. In practical terms, though, that’s tantamount to a direct settlement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Close: technically, they won the rights to the land in court, then sold the land back to the US government for 150,000 1883 dollars. In practical terms, though, that’s tantamount to a direct settlement.

I love the refined history.  I was going off what the Arlington tour guide told me and he’s gonna be biased.  

13 minutes ago, oblong said:

I never knew of Arlingtons history until I went there in 2009. 

Same, I went twice now with my kids school. They fundraise starting in 5th grade and you either go your 7th or 8th grade year depending on the cycle. We go for 5 days with guided tour. Start at Gettysburg then all over D.C. I learned so much you just would never know without going there. Cool perk since my kids school has a JROTC program one boy and one girl are selected on their character and charity work to lay a wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldier. What a powerful experience they don't fully grasp at that age.