Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

Musk is going to charge $20 a month to have a blue checkmark. 

I suspect the only ones who will pay are  accounts managed for the super rich who don’t even use it the way we do. Someone like Taylor Swift.  People like that.  Your real content creator like a writer pushing an article in a newspaper. won’t pay. They will just trust the reader. Or maybe the paper or org will pay it 

the original intent was to verify identity. Not to ensure legitimacy of the opinion or that you were famous enough. 

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

Musk is going to charge $20 a month to have a blue checkmark. 

I suspect the only ones who will pay are  accounts managed for the super rich who don’t even use it the way we do. Someone like Taylor Swift.  People like that.  Your real content creator like a writer pushing an article in a newspaper. won’t pay. They will just trust the reader. Or maybe the paper or org will pay it 

the original intent was to verify identity. Not to ensure legitimacy of the opinion or that you were famous enough. 

I almost get the impression Musk does't really understand what Twitter is. He complains constantly that a low % of users generate content, but that is the point. You have news generators and news consumers. It's baked in that you are going to have two basic classes of users. It may have been a dream in the beginning that Twitter would be some kind of ultimate democratized news generation service, but the reality is that useful information is generated by people with expertise that are trained for and purposefully engaged in its collection. Sure the random man on the street may witness an event and tweet it a la a George Floyd situation,  but that is by far the exception, not the rule.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Never been a fan of Twitter and never had an active account (Signed up but never used it).   Twitter and Tik Tok seem like cesspools to me so I don't give a shit what he does and what he chargers.     I have a feeling there is going to be a new Twitter-like service soon.    

Tik Tok is straight up a Chinese Communist Party information gathering tool.   Sadly, the kiddies love giving all their deets.

Twitter is a short form data bullhorn used by media figures to post breaking news and opinion which the World's richest man decided to buy to sow disinformation

If Elon is going to own that and promote insane conspiracies..we do need another service.

6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Tik Tok is straight up a Chinese Communist Party information gathering tool.   Sadly, the kiddies love giving all their deets.

Twitter is a short form data bullhorn used by media figures to post breaking news and opinion which the World's richest man decided to buy to sow disinformation

If Elon is going to own that and promote insane conspiracies..we do need another service.

It amazes me how so many people don't know this. My understanding is I am still not allowed to use Tik Tok because of my job. I suspect you are the same.

44 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

It amazes me how so many people don't know this. My understanding is I am still not allowed to use Tik Tok because of my job. I suspect you are the same.

I understand that they bought Legonews and Bricklink specifically to target engineers.  

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

We civilians can learn all about that and more:

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/documentaries/tiktok-boom/

Twitter has content generated for it. Charge the generators?  To be fair Twitter is providing the platform to get that content out there.  Nobody's reading and paying $5 a month for Joe Blow's Substack unless they see the tweet promoting it.

I dont know how this will shake out.

22 minutes ago, oblong said:

Twitter has content generated for it. Charge the generators?  To be fair Twitter is providing the platform to get that content out there.  Nobody's reading and paying $5 a month for Joe Blow's Substack unless they see the tweet promoting it.

I dont know how this will shake out.

I read a piece that made the excellent point that one should remember that from an economic standpoint, since twitter is an advertising supported service, the correct way to view it is that the advertisers are the customers, not the content generators and readers - they are actually the product. Thus the service either has to be run to the wishes of the advertisers, or it has to be turned into something else completely. It seems Musk would prefer to move it to a subscriber based system exactly to break that paradigm, but he will destroy twitter's mass market presence if he does that because consumers in general will not pay for much for internet content and the generators certainly will not pay for the right to put their content on a web platform when they can do it for free in too many other ways.

If he can't make the economics work as a subscription service, then he can't really change the moderation system much, other than maybe make it MORE restrictive, because his advertisers demand a much higher lever of moderation that he apparently wants to have.

He can't maintain his advertising revenue and go to a largely subscription service because the advertisers won't pay as much to reach the smaller audience.

It's always dangerous to assume (as Musk has) that a management is failing (Twitter only made money in  the occasional year) because they are incompetent, sometimes they've just been trying to sell a product that isn't very profitable.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I read a piece that made the excellent point that one should remember that from an economic standpoint, since twitter is an advertising supported service, the correct way to view it is that the advertisers are the customers, not the content generators and readers - they are actually the product. Thus the service either has to be run to the wishes of the advertisers, or it has to be turned into something else completely. It seems Musk would prefer to move it to a subscriber based system exactly to break that paradigm, but he will destroy twitter's mass market presence if he does that because consumers in general will not pay for much for internet content and the generators certainly will not pay for the right to put their content on a web platform when they can do it for free in too many other ways.

If he can't make the economics work as a subscription service, then he can't really change the moderation system much, other than maybe make it MORE restrictive, because his advertisers demand a much higher lever of moderation that he apparently wants to have.

He can't maintain his advertising revenue and go to a largely subscription service because the advertisers won't pay as much to reach the smaller audience.

It's always dangerous to assume (as Musk has) that a management is failing (Twitter only made money in  the occasional year) because they are incompetent, sometimes they've just been trying to sell a product that isn't very profitable.

the old adage... if the service you use is free the you are not the customer but the product being sold.

Subscriber models have to be priced pretty low in my opinion.  I throw some money to Patreons because I like their service but $1 to $2 a month is something I can look past.  But get to the $4-5 range and I will question it.

So if the Conservative Christian Right is so concerned about Mexican Drug Lords moving into our neighborhoods and handing out illegal drugs disguised as Mars bars why were the so against an HOA proposal to hold a Trunk or Treat at the community center in our neighborhood, arguing instead that their kids need to go door to door.

Why is the so called Christian Right even celebrating a pagan holiday?

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

So if the Conservative Christian Right is so concerned about Mexican Drug Lords moving into our neighborhoods and handing out illegal drugs disguised as Mars bars why were the so against an HOA proposal to hold a Trunk or Treat at the community center in our neighborhood, arguing instead that their kids need to go door to door.

this sounds really specific

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

this sounds really specific

It was debated last week on Nextdoor (my first mistake). Doing a trunk or treat Halloween night. I was amused. 

We're in a new portion of the community, mostly empty nesters and few kids. I don't expect much. 
That said I did try to talk my wife into letting me set up a table in the driveway with candy bars for kids and wine pours for accompanying adults. She shot that down fairly quickly 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

It was debated last week on Nextdoor (my first mistake). Doing a trunk or treat Halloween night. I was amused. 

We're in a new portion of the community, mostly empty nesters and few kids. I don't expect much. 
That said I did try to talk my wife into letting me set up a table in the driveway with candy bars for kids and wine pours for accompanying adults. She shot that down fairly quickly 

nextdoor seems like a great way to find out which of your neighbors are racist

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

that's odd because I thought Trunk or Treats originated at churches.  Keep them in house and proper... do demon costumes.  Harry Potter, maybe.... but be careful  That's borderline witchcraft.

• Like 1